MCC vs Destiny (psst, Malagate) (Criticism)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, December 10, 2018, 06:32 (1935 days ago)

Red Dead 2 has been making me sad so I don't want to race through it, thus reaching the inevitable ending, so I played some Destiny 2 over the weekend. Just piddling about picking up the daily challenges. Played some crucible and it just felt like a thing I had to get through to get an engram.

Also over the weekend, went to a Christmas party and kids were in the back playing Master Chief Collection. 4 player split screen PvP. My 4 (almost 5) year old son surprised the "big kids" at how he could actually hold his own. The next day he kept saying "Can we get that game?" to which I said "We have that game!" We had only played the co-op campaign so far.

So the two of us booted up some online MCC PvP. We had a blast! The games were so fun. I've not played PvP Halo in a coons age. The game variants were creative and fun-centric. It was also nice playing a game and not getting a reward at the end. It was also nice using a plethora of weapons. It was also nice....well, I'll just say that Halo PvP was a blast and I have forgotten how fun it was. Destiny PvP is mechanically better but that is it. What the hell has Bungie done with the PvP experience!? It went from "Yay, grab your party hat" to "ok...get your sweat rag."

Malagate, are you still doing a weekly MCC night? Because I want in. Full disclosure, I got my arse handed to me every game and will surely cause a loss.

MCC vs Destiny (psst, Malagate)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 10, 2018, 07:23 (1935 days ago) @ ManKitten

Recent updates to the MCC have been very promising. We had a lot of fun playing MCC at the Superior Lan back in October! I love that the recent updates added the "match composer" (mixtape matchmaking). It's great being able to choose what you want to play rather than relying on curated playlists.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 10, 2018, 08:43 (1935 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Recent updates to the MCC have been very promising. We had a lot of fun playing MCC at the Superior Lan back in October! I love that the recent updates added the "match composer" (mixtape matchmaking). It's great being able to choose what you want to play rather than relying on curated playlists.

I was going to testify that it was fun at that LAN (not that I was actually there, but I still had fun). It was also a highlight of the Kansas
City LAN (and I was there).

Didn't know about Malagate's MCC night (I see how it is, Malagate ;)) but it looks like the last Friday night Customs Night over at HBO was back in August. Hope it's not gone forever.

Kerm

Ayyyyy!!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:38 (1935 days ago) @ Kermit

First off, the weekly MCC Night only survived for a month or two due to low turnout, so nobody should feel like they've been missing the party.

However, I still have it installed, as I'm sure a number of folks here do, as well as a number of Friends-of-Bungie-Dot-Org, so we should be able to scrape together a group for Customs without a ton of trouble. This week works well for me, how about a FtB event for Thursday? I'm totally willing to be flexible with the date/time so we can get the most people onboard. I'll post for 9pm EST on 12/13, and we'll see what the interest bears.

~M

MCC play date

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, December 22, 2018, 11:56 (1923 days ago) @ Malagate

First off, the weekly MCC Night only survived for a month or two due to low turnout, so nobody should feel like they've been missing the party.

However, I still have it installed, as I'm sure a number of folks here do, as well as a number of Friends-of-Bungie-Dot-Org, so we should be able to scrape together a group for Customs without a ton of trouble. This week works well for me, how about a FtB event for Thursday? I'm totally willing to be flexible with the date/time so we can get the most people onboard. I'll post for 9pm EST on 12/13, and we'll see what the interest bears.

~M

Hey, I just cashed in some xbox credit for a month of Gold. I plan to hop into MCC all weekend, through Christmas. (assuming the wifi is decent in the cabin my wife's friends rented)

If you see me on, let's play. I'm rusty as hell, most likely.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 12:18 (1935 days ago) @ Kermit

Didn't know about Malagate's MCC night (I see how it is, Malagate ;)) but it looks like the last Friday night Customs Night over at HBO was back in August. Hope it's not gone forever.

Kerm

I can't speak for any of that crew since I've been absent from that group for years, and haven't really played any Halo in just as long, but I certainly feel like I see Vagueness and/or Shadow rolling MCC most Fridays. Back when I helped run it, we started around 9 EST. And again, I have zero knowledge of what's going down, but passing glances usually indicate they're playing around the 9:30-10:30 EST window.

I have an inkling it's still running, just with a small core group and unpublicized.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, December 10, 2018, 13:40 (1935 days ago) @ ManKitten

What the hell has Bungie done with the PvP experience!? It went from "Yay, grab your party hat" to "ok...get your sweat rag."

I found this interesting... I'm totally on board with the sentiment of your post. But in this one regard, my experience is very different. Specifically, I always found Halo multiplayer to be just as sweaty as Destiny. Is it just me?

Also, I've been thinking a lot lately about Halo multiplayer, and what made it so different from Destiny PvP… I keep coming back to friendly fire. The ability to blow up not just myself, but my teammates as well was a constant source of comedy. Heck, I made an entire montage series dedicated to it :)

Aside from the laughs that it provided, there is something to be said for the tactical considerations that come along with the ability to harm your teammates. I can't help but wonder if the rampant super-spam and heavy weapon BS that so often dominates the crucible would be reigned in to a degree if players had to worry about team damage. I know there are plenty of downsides that go along with enabling friendly fire, but I'd love to try it in Destiny, out of curiosity as much as anything.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 10, 2018, 13:46 (1935 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What the hell has Bungie done with the PvP experience!? It went from "Yay, grab your party hat" to "ok...get your sweat rag."

I found this interesting... I'm totally on board with the sentiment of your post. But in this one regard, my experience is very different. Specifically, I always found Halo multiplayer to be just as sweaty as Destiny. Is it just me?

Also, I've been thinking a lot lately about Halo multiplayer, and what made it so different from Destiny PvP… I keep coming back to friendly fire. The ability to blow up not just myself, but my teammates as well was a constant source of comedy. Heck, I made an entire montage series dedicated to it :)

Aside from the laughs that it provided, there is something to be said for the tactical considerations that come along with the ability to harm your teammates. I can't help but wonder if the rampant super-spam and heavy weapon BS that so often dominates the crucible would be reigned in to a degree if players had to worry about team damage. I know there are plenty of downsides that go along with enabling friendly fire, but I'd love to try it in Destiny, out of curiosity as much as anything.

I get where you are going, and it would be fun for a couple games, but so many supers would be rendered useless in the small spaces. I would basically stop being a Titan.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 14:08 (1935 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

First I’ll jist say to keep in mind that you play at a higher level than a lot of people here. That probably naturally makes your games more sweaty.

That said, yeah, Halo matchmaking was just as sweaty, in my experience. High level Halo play is probably more sweaty, to be honest. The flip side is that I spent huge amounts of my time in Halo (Halo 2, especially, which was my peak engagement with Halo PvP) in custom games playing Zombies or Fist Ass Extreme or Warthog Joust or just generally screwing around.

Destiny’s sandbox perhaps doesn’t support those custom options as well as Halo did, but they’re still sorely missed. Custom matches hold no appeal for me. I’d honestly rather 6 of us group up and hit Quickplay and make progress towards something than 12 of us group up and face off. It’s just not that compelling with the ridiculous options that Halo had.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, December 10, 2018, 14:09 (1935 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh yeah, I got plenty sweaty a lot too. But the "action sack" game types are just down right fun for the sake of fun! And it was refreshing to play a game solely because it was fun, not because I was trying to earn something.

Your next chance is Thursday! (psst, Mankitten)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 07:42 (1927 days ago) @ ManKitten

Same bat-time, same bat-channel!!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 07:57 (1927 days ago) @ Malagate

I don't know how I missed everyone last week. I was on at [30 minutes before start] playing Halo with my son, at [start], nobody on my friends list was playing so I booted up RDR2. I just sent you a friend request Mal. Not sure why you weren't on my list.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 08:59 (1927 days ago) @ ManKitten

I don't know how I missed everyone last week. I was on at [30 minutes before start] playing Halo with my son, at [start], nobody on my friends list was playing so I booted up RDR2. I just sent you a friend request Mal. Not sure why you weren't on my list.

We thought we had you on our friends lists, but I guess not? We were wondering where you were!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread