Feelings on Destiny currently (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:41 (1962 days ago)

[image]

What are some story driven games you have been enjoying

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:43 (1962 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

I wouldn't mind putting them on my shopping list.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:52 (1962 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:57

I wouldn't mind putting them on my shopping list.

Recently enjoyed Red Strings Club, Unforeseen Incidents, and Silence (really freaking good).

Playing Life is Strange 2 as the episodes come out.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 11:04 (1962 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I started playing Observer over the weekend. It’s on Xbox Game Pass. I haven’t put a whole lot of time in yet, but the first hour and a half has been really compelling.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, December 10, 2018, 11:15 (1962 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Their prior release, Layers of Fear, is also quite interesting and worth the experience.

I just found out…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 10, 2018, 11:46 (1962 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Cuphead is now out for OS X!

That's it. Clear my month.

I just found out…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 10, 2018, 22:06 (1962 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cuphead is now out for OS X!

That's it. Clear my month.

Got it and started playing.

1. Cuphead is not as hard as I was led to believe.
2. Cuphead freaking rules. It's no Metal Slug but it's close. Kind of different in that it's mostly a boss rush though.

Oh Gawd.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, December 10, 2018, 23:05 (1962 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A billion bullets and hazards flying everywhere on a tiny screen...which is then covered by your thumbs.

Now THAT is the ultimate rage quit challenge. XD

Oh Gawd.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 05:18 (1961 days ago) @ Morpheus

OSX, not iOS. Mac, not iPhone.

Ohhhh.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 09:40 (1961 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wow, I feel like an idiot. Heh, that makes a lot more sense! Although it would be pretty interesting to see how Cuphead plays on a Key/Mouse.

Ohhhh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 11:27 (1961 days ago) @ Morpheus

Wow, I feel like an idiot. Heh, that makes a lot more sense! Although it would be pretty interesting to see how Cuphead plays on a Key/Mouse.

Probably like ass. That's why use a USB controller.

Ohhhh.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:13 (1961 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It makes no sense to me why people get a game on the computer just to use a controller... I understand if it was a computer only game and it allowed controller input, but if it's on both systems why?

Ohhhh.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:57 (1961 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It makes no sense to me why people get a game on the computer just to use a controller... I understand if it was a computer only game and it allowed controller input, but if it's on both systems why?

Cody doesn’t have an Xbox, as far as I know. Probably doesn’t matter for Cuphead, as I think it runs fine on Xbox, but there’s also performance considerations for playing on a computer. A controller works just as well there as it does on console.

Ohhhh.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:19 (1961 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cody doesn’t have an Xbox, as far as I know. Probably doesn’t matter for Cuphead, as I think it runs fine on Xbox, but there’s also performance considerations for playing on a computer. A controller works just as well there as it does on console.

Yeah, I can see the performance side of things, but I feel like the amount of people who have really nice computers but still use controllers are so far in between. Like most people who spend a lot of money on a computer are usually the ones who don't want anything to do with console people :D

Ohhhh.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 14:31 (1961 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I can see the performance side of things, but I feel like the amount of people who have really nice computers but still use controllers are so far in between. Like most people who spend a lot of money on a computer are usually the ones who don't want anything to do with console people :D

I have an Aurora R6 1070, but I can't stand KB/M. Makes my wrists hurt, and finger placement is so uncomfortable. Plus, movement is far less precise on it compared to an analog stick due to pressure-based input (and games like cuphead demand precision!), and the more fluid movement of an analog stick versus a mouse's jerky movements.

When I play PC games, I use Steamlink in the Living room tv (glawrious 4k!) using an Xbone controller (DS4 is occasionally wonky thanks to limited Big Picture support).
My brother has a 1080Ti rig, and the only things I've seen him play on it with KB/M is Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2. He says he prefers controllers, but he isn't bothered by KB/M like I am.

That said, high refresh/framerates cause too much strain on my eyes, so console gaming is far more ideal regardless of input, so even Xbox Play Anywhere titles are pretty much exclusively played on console, but that's just me being old.

Ohhhh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 15:11 (1961 days ago) @ Korny

That said, high refresh/framerates cause too much strain on my eyes, so console gaming is far more ideal regardless of input

This is the exact opposite of most people! I could not use computer monitors on 60hz back in the CRT days, I could feel the flickering and it was very uncomfortable. Televisions were and are fine for some reason (anyone know the difference between a computer monitor at 60hz vs an NTSC monitor/TV at 60hz?) Anything less than 85hz was unbearable. LCDs clear that up thankfully.

Ohhhh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 14:47 (1961 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

1. It’s not on PS4.
2. Plug your computer into a TV.

Oh Gawd.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 07:13 (1961 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 07:53

A billion bullets and hazards flying everywhere on a tiny screen...which is then covered by your thumbs.

Now THAT is the ultimate rage quit challenge. XD

Why are you playing it on a tiny screen and taking your hands off the controller?

He read iOS

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 08:42 (1961 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FWIW, I did too :p

He read iOS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 08:46 (1961 days ago) @ ZackDark

Now that WOULD totally suck :-p

He read iOS

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 09:01 (1961 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nahhhh, you don't need to use your fingers, you just use the accelerometer/motion controls to move everything! Easy and responsive!

He read iOS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 09:23 (1961 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Nahhhh, you don't need to use your fingers, you just use the accelerometer/motion controls to move everything! Easy and responsive!

One legitimate criticism I do have of the game is that it limits you to firing in 8 directions. We live in a world of analog sticks now. Especially when you lock position you should be able to fire in any direction the precision of the analog stick allows. I mean, even earthworm Jim on the genesis let you fire in 64 different directions…

He read iOS

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 09:38 (1961 days ago) @ Cody Miller

One legitimate criticism I do have of the game is that it limits you to firing in 8 directions. We live in a world of analog sticks now. Especially when you lock position you should be able to fire in any direction the precision of the analog stick allows. I mean, even earthworm Jim on the genesis let you fire in 64 different directions…

Constraints are a large part of game design and I imagine that they carefully decided to go with 8 directions for a reason.

He read iOS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 11:26 (1961 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Constraints are a large part of game design and I imagine that they carefully decided to go with 8 directions for a reason.

Possibly, but it feels archaic. I have always thought a run and gun that decouples aiming from movement would open up so many possibilities:

Left stick to move. Right Stick to aim. Trigger or bumper to fire / jump / special. The ability to finely tune the directionality of the shots independent from movement could create some really cool challenges. Imagine having to simultaneously dodge boss shots while threading the needle and shooting a narrow weak point.

Not everyone has paddles, Cody

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 02:35 (1961 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But seriously, the game would either be balanced for people that can do The Claw(tm) or be too easy for them.

Not everyone has paddles, Cody

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 08:01 (1960 days ago) @ ZackDark

But seriously, the game would either be balanced for people that can do The Claw(tm) or be too easy for them.

All the action buttons would be on the triggers and bumpers. No claw needed. If you don't have dual sticks? Use the keyboard to move and the mouse to aim… just like in the Bungie published Abuse. It worked great there.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread