2nd annual Pentathlon (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 06, 2019, 21:14 (1934 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, January 06, 2019, 21:25

Marty posted a cool video from the 2nd Pentathlon:

Is that Hardy getting his head shaved for losing that bet with Alex?

2nd annual Pentathlon

by metwaf100, Monday, January 07, 2019, 08:50 (1934 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Everyone is so much older. I didn't exist when this video came out. I was born in May. Incredible.

Wait, hold on a sec, that is mother-fucking Jason Jones sitting on top of a fucking fridge? What a goofball.

Yes and yes

by MartyTheElder, Monday, January 07, 2019, 13:06 (1934 days ago) @ metwaf100

Hardy lost the bet
Jason's a goofball

Yes and yes

by metwaf100, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 07:41 (1933 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

Love seeing you here Marty! Fan from Saudi Arabia. (Your work has traveled far)

I hope all is well, I love echoes of the first dreamer, the piano stuff is great.

Best of luck in the future <3

OMG they are all so young!

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 07, 2019, 13:54 (1933 days ago) @ Cody Miller

BABIES!

Location, Time & Luck

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 07, 2019, 17:55 (1933 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mo0xxiTztc&feature=youtu.be&t=42

THIS COMING YEAR Uhm... we're going... we're going ship Halo for the Xbox, and if you guys haven't noticed um... all the people around us at Microsoft are fond of, sort of, pointing to Halo and... and making big deal of it...and uh... because it's pretty fun and cool ... and it's going to be like just, you know, not to put any pressure on anybody but it is going be the sort of software that, the game that... decides weather Xbox is going to be a winner or not... if one game can do that.

"If one game can do that."

Man... retrospect is weird. It's like... yeah man, all that and more then you possibly fathom. Not just a Brand, an Industry. Not just Fans, a Community. Not just a game, but for so many an indelible inspiration.

Halo. It's finished.

No... I think we're just getting started.

It's sweet that this sort of thing was recorded, and I'm thankful you chose to share this Marty. We all, and especially you Marty, really lucked out on this one. Plucky Startups (lol... "plucky") creating Industry defining stuff doesn't happen often. I myself had yet to coalesce into a being able to properly realize the impact of OG Starwars. I talk weird...lol.

Yet I was around for Halo, at the right time, and the right place it seems. My forever home on the Internet has always been Halo-linked as a result. In...geeze... my 18 years of gaming since Halo (as there is more then that), nothing is better nor has come as close to the sheer glee of a Halo-based LAN Party. It is known.

Oh and Realtalk folks: We're all goofballs. Well... except for Funk. :P

Location, Time & Luck

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 06:59 (1933 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mo0xxiTztc&feature=youtu.be&t=42

THIS COMING YEAR Uhm... we're going... we're going ship Halo for the Xbox, and if you guys haven't noticed um... all the people around us at Microsoft are fond of, sort of, pointing to Halo and... and making big deal of it...and uh... because it's pretty fun and cool ... and it's going to be like just, you know, not to put any pressure on anybody but it is going be the sort of software that, the game that... decides weather Xbox is going to be a winner or not... if one game can do that.

"If one game can do that."

Man... retrospect is weird. It's like... yeah man, all that and more then you possibly fathom. Not just a Brand, an Industry. Not just Fans, a Community. Not just a game, but for so many an indelible inspiration.

Halo. It's finished.

No... I think we're just getting started.

It's sweet that this sort of thing was recorded, and I'm thankful you chose to share this Marty. We all, and especially you Marty, really lucked out on this one. Plucky Startups (lol... "plucky") creating Industry defining stuff doesn't happen often. I myself had yet to coalesce into a being able to properly realize the impact of OG Starwars. I talk weird...lol.

Yet I was around for Halo, at the right time, and the right place it seems. My forever home on the Internet has always been Halo-linked as a result. In...geeze... my 18 years of gaming since Halo (as there is more then that), nothing is better nor has come as close to the sheer glee of a Halo-based LAN Party. It is known.

Oh and Realtalk folks: We're all goofballs. Well... except for Funk. :P

Haven't had the chance to watch the vid yet, but these are good words. The only thing I'd take exception to is I would not call Bungie a startup then. They'd already established themselves as a studio that could produce innovative and influential games while inspiring an obsessive following. The Xbox brought their talent to a broader audience. They were lucky in that they were the right studio in the right place at the right time, but many years had already gone into them becoming the "right studio."

Bungie was old by then

by metwaf100, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 07:43 (1933 days ago) @ Kermit

Bungie was (almost) 10 years old by the time the 2nd pentathlon happened.
Jones and Seropian had been going it at for a long time.....

Elder

by MartyTheElder, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 10:02 (1933 days ago) @ metwaf100

Well, I was known as the “Elder” by then.

Most of them hadn’t made it out of their 20’s yet.

Claude had already started the graying process.

HOW DARE YOU

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 10:27 (1933 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

I was gonna call you a liar... but you're right. :(

[image]

lol Claude is old. So on so on. :P

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 10:30 (1933 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

HOW DARE YOU

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 11:05 (1933 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

If you had told me you were a marine in 2001 I’d have believed it.

lol

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 11:06 (1933 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

HOW DARE YOU

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 08:20 (1932 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

Ha, ha! That image name. I was gonna say: better gray than non-existent.

Location, Time & Luck

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 10:16 (1933 days ago) @ Kermit

Haven't had the chance to watch the vid yet, but these are good words. The only thing I'd take exception to is I would not call Bungie a startup then. They'd already established themselves as a studio that could produce innovative and influential games while inspiring an obsessive following. The Xbox brought their talent to a broader audience. They were lucky in that they were the right studio in the right place at the right time, but many years had already gone into them becoming the "right studio."

Ah Right... I knew that. I had a lapse in recall there, probably from seeing just HOW YOUNG all those faces are... were. >_>

I REFUSE to retract the word "plucky" though. THAT'S where I draw the line. :P

correction?

by MartyTheElder, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 18:36 (1932 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Your transcription is pretty accurate although it possible Alex said something other than "fun and cool".

Yanny or Laurel 2.0

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 21:32 (1932 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

- No text -

Yanny or Laurel 2.0

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 22:16 (1932 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

lol

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 08:26 (1932 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

Your transcription is pretty accurate although it possible Alex said something other than "fun and cool".

I'd say it's more "likely" than "possible" and he wasn't wrong.

2nd annual Pentathlon

by Achronos, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 13:03 (1932 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It was really weird arriving for my first day of work at Bungie the Monday after the Pentathlon - I did not understand what it was and was rather confused until it was explained to me why people kept saying "cup stays here" and references to things that happened.

Gah, I am so old, that was nearly twenty years ago. I choose to believe I am not old now, merely incredibly young then.

2nd annual Pentathlon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 16:04 (1931 days ago) @ Achronos

It was really weird arriving for my first day of work at Bungie the Monday after the Pentathlon - I did not understand what it was and was rather confused until it was explained to me why people kept saying "cup stays here" and references to things that happened.

Gah, I am so old, that was nearly twenty years ago. I choose to believe I am not old now, merely incredibly young then.

You can always share these stories so they will live forever in my book :-)

Want to chat?

Author @ historyofbungie dot com

2nd annual Pentathlon

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 18:39 (1931 days ago) @ Achronos

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

King

by MartyTheElder, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 22:14 (1931 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Of Denial

Lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 05:29 (1931 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread