Finally Forging (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Sunday, January 20, 2019, 18:54 (1916 days ago)

I’m finally getting around to the Black Armory content, and I can only think that Ada-1 is like Columbo...

[image]

maybe someone more savvy can scale that image down for me

LOL!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 21, 2019, 09:55 (1916 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

Finally Forging

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 08:17 (1915 days ago) @ Oholiab

I have a friend whose clan is called "Return to Ada-1".

I imagine that's a thing that happens often?

Finally Forging

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 08:37 (1915 days ago) @ Korny

I have a friend whose clan is called "Return to Ada-1".

I imagine that's a thing that happens often?

You pick up a wrapon frame, and there are small steps to get it ready to be forged. Those steps can be accomplished while playing the forge gametype. But before the final step, which is just a forge level completion, you have to return to her to get her to say good job. Since you can't load directly into the forge, it's an annoying step. Travel to the Tower, run to her, get her dialog, then travel back to the nearest spawn point to a forge location, travel to the forge (and some you can't sparrow all the way to), then activate it and go into matchmaking. It's an unnecessary process.

Finally Forging

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:58 (1915 days ago) @ bluerunner

It’s funny. It’s one of those things that everyone complains about, but I don’t even think about it. It doesn’t bother me even a little bit. That’s not to say it’s not an issue or that it shouldn’t be addressed. It’s just odd to me how I overlook some things and get hung up on others.

Finally Forging

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 06:20 (1910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I feel like people are taking the wrong lesson from it. I hear way more complaints abut not being able to launch forge from orbit than the useless travel step of the process.

I think fast travel might have been on of D2's biggest mistakes (I keep meaning to write a post on that) so I'm worried this will be another situation where they give the people what they are demanding, but that's not the best fix for the problem.

Finally Forging

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 08:06 (1910 days ago) @ Vortech

I also think Fast Travel was a big mistake. It’s probably at least partly why I like D2’s Destinations less—I’m not as familiar with them because I fast travel. That’s why I love the Dreaming City. Instead of fast traveling from the map screen, they built fast travel into the actual space with the portals, which require you to actually know the map to utilize well.

However, I don’t think launching Forges from orbit is necessarily a bad idea. Landing, sparrowing for 30 seconds, then launching the Forge to get kicked into matchmaking and another load is really stupid design. Every other match made activity can be launched from orbit, why not this one?

It makes me wonder if they need to re-evaluate the way Destiny is designed. Other than the Dreaming City, patrol spaces feel outdated and under-utilized. The game is designed to intentionally force you into patrol spaces with all the random quest steps that make you go there to do pointless shit. I personally don’t mind that, and even enjoy a lot of it, but I don’t think that’s the case for most people. It feels like most folks only go into Patrol to do the flashpoint or to do quest steps that force them there.

I don’t know what the answer is, but it feels like Bungie really needs to find a way to make Patrols and the actual Destonation spaces more relevant once players hit the end game. The Dreaming City does a pretty good job in that the weekly powerful engrams for that Destination basically just require you to do a bunch of stuff there in a way that feels very natural. The Spider bounties work well for that too, but I don’t really see anyone land on a planet for a Spider bounty and get sidetracked by a public event or anything. They just rush to the bounty then leave when they’re done. Everyone mostly just does the flashpoint in the most efficient way possible, too. I hope they can find a way to make landing on a Destonation and just screwing around, doing patrols or public events, feel like it’s not a complete waste of time if you’re beyond the soft cap. Maybe every Destonation needs a Dreaming City like bounty system that just requires you to be there and do stuff for powerful rewards. Hell, maybe that’s what the Flashpoint should be instead of the “grind a few heroic adventures and then leave” flashpoints we have now.

Finally Forging

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 09:31 (1910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm entirely unsure why my iPhone now decided that "Destonation" is how it should it autocorrect every time I try to type destination.

Finally Forging

by squidnh3, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 11:19 (1910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

However, I don’t think launching Forges from orbit is necessarily a bad idea. Landing, sparrowing for 30 seconds, then launching the Forge to get kicked into matchmaking and another load is really stupid design. Every other match made activity can be launched from orbit, why not this one?

I suspect that the Forges were originally intended to be in-patrol matchmade activities like Escalation Protocol and Blind Well, but underwent a last-minute change due to all the complaints about how those functioned. To me that explains the weirdness of how leaving the activity puts you back into patrol, but leaving the queue sticks you back into orbit.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread