A stupid story. (DBO)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:44 (1883 days ago)
edited by ManKitten, Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:50

btw, I'm working on a book that will be full of amazing stories, like this one.

My son was home from school today so he has been in my office playing Destiny while I work. He's been running around Mercury piddling around. Multiple times, I've heard the sound of a robotic woman's voice over a distant loudspeaker. I could never understand what she was saying apart from sporadic words, like "...level is low....return...robot..." and it's been driving me crazy! I've been Googling for things about a secret message on Mercury, with no results. I finished my first forge yesterday so I thought it might have been Ada. Nope.

I just realized, that in the next room over, our Roomba got hung up on a rug while we were away and the battery was dying. It was calling out for help.

The end.

This is how the robot revolution will begin.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, January 21, 2019, 16:52 (1883 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Didn’t Steven Spielberg make a movie about that? lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 21, 2019, 17:01 (1883 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

LOL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 08:38 (1882 days ago) @ ManKitten

That's excellent. I've had a Roomba myself for a long time so I know exactly what you heard.

LOL

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 11:59 (1882 days ago) @ stabbim

How do you like that thing?

I’ve been looking into getting one for my parents, just to run in the living room and kitchen/dining area during the day. They have pets and hardwood floors, and dad complains about sweeping all the time because of all the dust.

I didn’t realize there were like fifteen different models of Roomba, and that’s before even looking at other manufacturers. What started as “Sure, I can spend $150 on this thing,” has quickly morphed into “Well maybe it’s worth upgrading to the $400 one,” and it honestly makes me a little sick.

LOL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:26 (1882 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by stabbim, Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:30

I love it. I bought it 10 years ago and I've kept it maintained and occasionally upgraded parts (they're designed to be VERY user-servicable). Mine is an old 560 model, but I have the motor and dustbin (they're one unit) and the brush assembly from a 600 series in it, as well as an upgraded battery. Believe it or not, it actually influenced my house buying decision. I intentionally bought a single-level house so the Roomba could clean everything. I've been here 3 years and I've NEVER run the big vacuum for anything other than individual spills.

There needs to be a fair bit of forethought to really make use of one. You need to make sure that the space it's in is totally free of small objects and wires. That can mean rearranging things so that wires are run behind furniture, or hanging them up off the floor. Also - and this is something that should be obvious, but isn't to some - don't run the Roomba if something has crapped on the floor. If you do that, it's your fault, not the Roomba's. In my case, I schedule the Roomba to run on its own every morning. However, I would NOT recommend doing so with pets. Check the floor out with your eyes, and THEN press the start button.

Also, while the Roomba is automatic, it is not effort free. You need to empty the dustbin occasionally, and clean off the brushes once a month or so - they'll get hairs and strings wound around them after a while. There is apparently a model now that has a dock which can empty the dustbin on its own, but I haven't tried that so I can't say how well it works.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread