Suggestion Box or: HBOstalgia

by Ibeechu ⌂ @, Portland, OR, Monday, February 11, 2013, 20:56 (4083 days ago)

Some things I've been mentally saying while browsing this forum.

I wish *NM* was still a thing

I miss the reply box being at the bottom of a post, with the post automatically quoted

No kidding, I prefer not having an edit button. Forces you to think your post through more than usual

The whole aesthetic is very muddled. HBO was really, really simple, but the aesthetic was spot on and consistent. Although I can't really fault you guys for this one yet. The forum's still brand new and I'm sure it'll be tweaked. At the moment, it's just so 2005 fan-fiction forum

Don't know if any of these are fixable or to what extent. Also, I hope this doesn't come off as sounding entitled or something; I don't want to make you guys do more work. It's because I adore HBO's forums and think they work extremely well. It just feels like these are trying to imitate HBO's surface without exploiting what made the forums so great.

Again, it's probably mostly the aesthetic. I really thank you guys for throwing this forum up here for us. Just wanted to drop these suggestions in the hat, if there is one.

Re: Suggestion Box or: HBOstalgia

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Monday, February 11, 2013, 21:13 (4083 days ago) @ Ibeechu

I miss the reply box being at the bottom of a post, with the post automatically quoted

I don't know if it's always been this way, but the reply button does automatically quote the above post.

I miss the automatic "Re:" on replies; it sort of throws me off for some reason.

There are a few things that I've noticed change just in the last couple of hours- most notably the "preview post" hover-overs (which I loved), and the formatting buttons on the right side of the box have devolved into text descriptors.

Re: Suggestion Box or: HBOstalgia

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:10 (4083 days ago) @ kanbo

I don't know if it's always been this way, but the reply button does automatically quote the above post.

There are a few things that I've noticed change just in the last couple of hours- most notably the "preview post" hover-overs (which I loved), and the formatting buttons on the right side of the box have devolved into text descriptors.

Well, I figured out that this was because I changed my 'Theme' in my preferences. Apparently, the 'Default (default)' is different than 'default' and is the only one that includes the two things mentioned above.

Re: *NM* Is a thing if we all wish it to be! *NM* :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 11, 2013, 21:53 (4083 days ago) @ Ibeechu

I wish *NM* was still a thing

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, February 11, 2013, 22:28 (4083 days ago) @ Ibeechu

From my view, DBO is not HBO, and while it may have learned things from its older brother, I think change and distinction is good. What once was automatic is now a few keystrokes, but with that same flip of the coin, what once required code is now a button press away. Now we've got to give DBO a chance to grow up and learn its own intricacies.

I also think that the site will grow for the better when actual Destiny content hits. Personally, it's quite hard to design anything good when you have zero context and nothing confirmed save for a symbol and a planetoid.

What's wrong 2005 fan-fiction?

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, February 11, 2013, 23:50 (4083 days ago) @ Leviathan

Yeah, the Marathon story forum isn't the HBO forum isn't the DBO forum. Makes sense.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 01:18 (4083 days ago) @ Leviathan

I also think that the site will grow for the better when actual Destiny content hits. Personally, it's quite hard to design anything good when you have zero context and nothing confirmed save for a symbol and a planetoid.

Things confirmed:

Day 1 DLC.
DLC packs (comet)
SciFi MMO

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:05 (4083 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Things confirmed:

Day 1 DLC.
DLC packs (comet)
SciFi MMO

I don't know anything about that, but I'm talking about visuals, story, style, etc., in reference to the graphics. I don't know what imagery will be prominent, who's the heroic or villainous factions, or practically anything.

And in terms of designing the function of the site, those things you listed don't really help without more context, more concrete examples. For instance, Halo eventually integrated "challenges" - then Wu implemented them into the forum. I'm saying it will be a bit before we see things that will define the unique and useful aspects of DBO.

by Ducain ⌂, Ormond Beach, FL, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 06:55 (4083 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm personally liking this lots. I can hit the 'table view' button, and a couple of other clicks, and ahhhhh, the forum looks right to me. The point is that there are options for viewing the information, which I'm a big fan of. Yet it's simple. I think it's a hit.

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:26 (4083 days ago) @ Ducain

I'm personally liking this lots. I can hit the 'table view' button, and a couple of other clicks, and ahhhhh, the forum looks right to me. The point is that there are options for viewing the information, which I'm a big fan of. Yet it's simple. I think it's a hit.

I like it as well. Simplicity is good.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 07:17 (4083 days ago) @ Leviathan

Also, while us old folks really like HBO's forum, it's not the easiest thing in the world for newbies to figure out. The process of signing up for an account here is much simpler for example. Same goes for the formatting code - HTML is great, if you know it. It's not super-friendly to those who come from other forums though.

We can still post like that, can't we? *nm*

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 05:42 (4083 days ago) @ Ibeechu

About formatting.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:01 (4083 days ago) @ Ibeechu

Thread view places the names of posters all weird. While table view seems to be aiming for a nice clean layout, it causes the names to disappear altogether.

.. for everyone but OP.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:45 (4083 days ago) @ uberfoop

I find myself switching back and forth so I can figure out who's replying to what, but combined with the Preview button, it barely registers on the "annoying for now" scale.

I'm sure it'll be fixed in the coming weeks.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread