Destin3 wishlist: leveled patrol instances/difficulty select (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 02, 2019, 15:32 (1899 days ago)

I've been thinking a bit lately about the patrol spaces and public events.

Beyond the Dreaming City, they've become largely irrelevant to the game. I enjoy dipping into them every so often and just dinking around, but their actual value to the late game experience of playing Destiny is almost nil.

We just had a little discussion about doing the Heroic versions of Public Events. I still maintain that it's just not worth it, unless you have a bounty that specifically calls for Heroic Public Events, or are on a quest step that requires a specific one.

Instancing patrol spaces based on light level could fix those problems. Matchmake people into appropriately leveled instances based on their power level. Maybe every 100 power, just like the strikes playlists?

Now, when you're at the level cap, Public Events will still be a challenge (maybe even extra challenging for better drops and a chance at exotics?). No more will we argue about which events are worth doing the Heroic version or whether we should just take the eight seconds to burn the Spider Tank instead of standing around for an extra four minutes for no reason. (:

I like Destiny's seamless matchmaking in patrol spaces with randoms, but I've hit the point where I wonder if the concessions that requires are worth the trade off. Could a version of Destiny where you just load into patrol with your fireteam be a better game? I'm thinking about something like Diablo here (or even Borderlands), where you just join the leader's instance (with an actual difficulty selection!). Imagine being able to load into a super hard version of patrol for improved drops with your fireteam. Even the most menial patrol missions could become fun challenges that are worth doing.

The Dreaming City was a good step forward in terms of a fun, end-game patrol space, but even that has become pretty trivial now. Continuing to level that instance as our power increases would be a good way to keep things interesting. Imagine being able to load into the Dreaming City right now, at your current power level, and have it be as challenging as it was the first week we set foot there. Hell, imagine loading into the EDZ and having the option to make it feel that challenging, where stopping the glimmer mining event is an actual test of skill, and not a snoozefest of obliterating the Fallen before they even reach the ground.

D3stiny. You mean D3stiny.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 02, 2019, 16:57 (1899 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

No, that's dumb.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 02, 2019, 17:12 (1899 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, February 02, 2019, 17:30

You're proposing that we call Destiny 3 D-three-stiny instead of Destin-three. I mean, c'mon.

(:

At least D3stiny doesn’t have a useless “n” in it.

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 01:27 (1899 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Totally ruins the flow.

I would personally argue against leveling patrol spaces. Instead I would probably go with the suggestion of leveraging Flashpoints in that way. Something explicitly designed to support the focus of players. As you cite having the fresh Dreaming City experience be repeatable (though I don’t think that can actual be recaptured) then have it come around and Flashpoints have a broad selection of things, including Flashpoint-Exclusive missions and bounties, so that it is at least varied if not actually fresh.

Public Events were the thing at the start of D2 because of Exotic Farming. But I think the way to encourage people is still theough unique rewards. If Heroic PEs each had a handful of unique gear items floating behind them, maybe people would be more inclined to trigger them. Honestly, activity-specific loot should be a bigger thing. There are a lot of options with loot you can use to motivate people to chase it.

At least D3stiny doesn’t have a useless “n” in it.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 17:04 (1898 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I'm personally less concerned with rewards--I just want the patrol spaces to actually be difficult and interesting if I want them to be. Good rewards are necessary to get the community to engage with that, though. We're talking about a group that always takes the path of least resistance for the best rewards.

I think leveraging the Flashpoint as the way to make this happen is a good idea, though. Make the Flashpoint planet be high level for endgame-tier challenges and rewards.

Destin3 wishlist: leveled patrol instances/difficulty select

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 07:16 (1899 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Instead of levelled how about “prestige” mode for patrols where you can’t over-level and the rewards are different. Perhaps special shaders or weapons for heroic public events, or make it a way to get mod components easily or some other unique bonus for doing the mode. If Bungie doesn’t want to divide the playerbase they could make the flashpoint destination require this mode to get the flashpoint rewards.

Better class balancing and better class flavor.

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, February 14, 2019, 18:48 (1887 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe I'm just a salty warlock getting destroyed trying to do crucible quests but I really feel like Warlock sucks compared to titan and hunter. How come the void blades super hunters have gets to last forever? How come blink is trash now? How come warlock melee has same range but is slower than other classes.

Overcharging grenades is a nice mechanic and very flavorful but the rest of my classes kit feels flat compared to Titan and Hunter, who seem to have complete kits.

Above all tho I really want D3 to embrace the feeling of each class. D2 was a step in the right direction for the most part but in some ways it falls flat.

The last thing is I'd love to see d3 embrace mobility whole hardheartedly. Sonic speed charging titans, blinking warlocks, wall running hunters

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread