Respawn just launched a free to play battle royale game. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 04, 2019, 16:08 (1870 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, February 04, 2019, 16:11

It’s called Apex Legends. It’s in the Titanfall universe. EDIT: I saw that somewhere, but the official website doesn’t actually say anything about Titanfall that I can see.

Anyone want to check it out? I’m going to give it a go on Xbox.

I played it a bit today.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 04, 2019, 17:25 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And as far as foundation releases go, it is fantastic and super polished, with some truly great streamlining of the genre thrown in for good measure. It’s bittersweet, because I do love it (and I hate all battle royales that I’ve played except for Blackout, and even Sammy loves what she saw), but it also killed Titanfall 3’s development, which a number of us were looking forward to with great anticipation.

I’ll download it on Xbox too.

Titanfall isn't dead.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 13:51 (1869 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:38

While this is far from confirmation of Titanfall 3, it's something:

Gave it a go on PC

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 04, 2019, 18:46 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Of all the Battle Royales I've played, I think I like this one best. Shooting mechanics is solid, as opposed to pretty much any other famous BR out there.

A couple of clips.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 00:59 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 01:12

When we were cornered on a canopy with a dead teammate, and I only had short-ranged weapons:

Always happy when I can rely on teammates:

The game is awesome, confirmed to have crossplay capability for the future, and is being made by a super talented team that has historically put out content at a solid pace. I'm happy.

PS. The fact that reviving your teammates is a whole mechanic to the game gives it a very distinct and tense new angle that other games in the genre have only flirted with. It’s a brilliant mechanic that fixes a long-standing issue in the genre, and adds another layer of strategy to victory.

A couple of clips.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 07:29 (1869 days ago) @ Korny

What do you mean reviving is a "whole mechanic"? I don't know of a BR that doesn't have a revive.

A couple of clips.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 07:44 (1869 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy
edited by Korny, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 08:15

What do you mean reviving is a "whole mechanic"? I don't know of a BR that doesn't have a revive.

I mean the ability to respawn your teammates after they are killed, not just downed. When your teammate dies, their box will have a respawn token. There are a number of beacons (that look like Bounty Hunt Banks from Titanfall 2) distributed throughout the maps where you can take your teammate's token, and a dropship will bring them back to life.

The mechanic of having to fight off whoever killed your teammate (or waiting for them to move on), making your way to your teammate's token, and then making it to a respawn beacon adds a layer to your movement beyond "hole up in a safe spot" or "move only towards the middle of the circle". And the fact that the beacons are in marked locations on the map means that you may not be completely safe trying to bring someone back, as it takes several seconds of interacting with the beacons for the ship to fly in and drop them off. You then have to help them get kitted out again, so if you had space, you could bring their gear back to them, otherwise, you'll have to help them search for it.

The only other BR that I can remember that tried something similar was Blackout with the limited-time "Down But Not Out" mode, but there was no mechanic beyond "wait for your teammate to respawn at the end of each circle collapse"), so it didn't add much more than extending your playtime in a match.

A couple of clips.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 08:20 (1869 days ago) @ Korny

Gotcha, I havent watched enough of it to see that. The way you described it originally just seemed like a normal revive.

Down/Revive Mechanics

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 11:52 (1869 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Gotcha, I havent watched enough of it to see that. The way you described it originally just seemed like a normal revive.

In all honesty, it's not that much different. You get a limited amount of time (90 seconds) to grab the player's revive token (during which time the enemy will probably be watching to see if you run to pick it up just like they would watch to see you try to pick up a downed player.

That said, the down/revive mechanics are complicated for a battle royale game. When you first get downed you have a small amount of health that you can survive before being killed. You can extend this with a knockdown shield item that you only get to use when you have been downed (hold down the trigger to use, 100 health in the shield). You will slowly bleed out just like in other games, and like in other games you keep your equipment and gain some health back when a player comes to pick you back up.

Once you bleed out or an enemy kills you for good then you body leaves behind a marker only your teammates can see and pick up. They then take that marker to a respawn location (there are many but each can only be used once) at which point a dropship brings the player back into the game with no equipment. The respawn locations have some low-level loot surrounding them so it's easy to pick something up and be able to fight again right away but I believe the loot is low-level.

Down/Revive Mechanics

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 12:59 (1869 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

In all honesty, it's not that much different.

Once you bleed out or an enemy kills you for good then you body leaves behind a marker only your teammates can see and pick up. They then take that marker to a respawn location (there are many but each can only be used once) at which point a dropship brings the player back into the game with no equipment. The respawn locations have some low-level loot surrounding them so it's easy to pick something up and be able to fight again right away but I believe the loot is low-level.

That last paragraph sort of negates the first, doesn't it? I'll admit to not knowing much about other battle royale games, but the other's just flat out don't have actual respawn mechanics, do they? Revive downed squadmates, sure. But actual respawning is a literal game-changer. Korny and I pulled off some key respawns last night (while rushing to beat the circle collapse, too). It was an actual decision point--do we get to that respawn beacon to get our rando squadmate back and risk getting caught in the collapse (which was imminent), or do we get to safety and continue as a duo? That decision just doesn't even exist in the other BR games (again, that I'm aware of).

Down/Revive Mechanics

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:04 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That decision just doesn't even exist in the other BR games (again, that I'm aware of).

True, but I didn't find it that much of a game-changer when I played. Then again, maybe that's just because typically only were able to get the respawn token when the other team was still alive so it didn't help much. Best case we had two squad members instead of three and we still got destroyed.

Down/Revive Mechanics

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:13 (1869 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I’ve watched some games where a team finished up a team fight 3v3 and lost their third due to that and turn around, respawn them, and get a win following it. It gives you a wider margin for error/recovery.

Down/Revive Mechanics

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:15 (1869 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

That decision just doesn't even exist in the other BR games (again, that I'm aware of).

True, but I didn't find it that much of a game-changer when I played. Then again, maybe that's just because typically only were able to get the respawn token when the other team was still alive so it didn't help much. Best case we had two squad members instead of three and we still got destroyed.

I mean, sure, that's still going to happen.

In the instance I'm thinking of, our squadmate died in our first firefight fairly early. We were in the suspended room high above the Thunderdome, and our buddy died on the ground. Korny and I fended off an attack, got his banner, then fended off another attack. After that, the circle closed in. We got the revive and made it to the final three squads left. Our dumbass teammate then left us and died on his own, and we died when we tried to go pick him up again. While that's sort of frustrating, it is interesting--that wouldn't have happened in any other BR game, because he'd have just been dead the first time. I think it adds an interesting layer to the strategy of the game.

There's also the fact that the respawn beacons are single-use. Once a squad has used a beacon to respawn a member, it can't be used again by any squad. They also mostly seem to be sort of out in the open, so even getting to one is a risk on its own.

Maybe I'm overstating how much it changes the game--I don't have enough experience with other battle royale games to really say. I do know that it seems really cool, and I like it as mechanic.

I did some googling, and it looks like Call of Duty Blackout has a mode in which squads with at least one person left completely respawn every time the circle collapses.

Played some last night

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 06:33 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So far I like it, but I think I need to muck with the control settings some more and the verdict is still out on if I'll play it long term. I miss the movement of Titanfall a lot sadly. Seems like the addition of "abilities" might be an attempt to give you a similar feel to having a Titan available without having titans in a battle royale game (which wouldn't be fun for a variety of reasons). So far, it just makes me want to go back and play Titanfall 2 again.

It's really good!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 12:54 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 13:00

Korny and I played for a few hours last night (after we finished up Mass Effect 3 with stabbim--that game still rules!).

I played two matches alone while Korny's download finished. We spent that time talking about the state of Destiny, the state of game's in general, and what we generally want out of video games. I fell on the side of "This game is cool, but it's just fundamentally not what I want out of video games."

My opinion flipped within another two matches when we joined up. "I should go to bed after this next one," turned into "We died too fast that match--that one doesn't count, let's do one more."

PUBG is just too janky for me to even begin to care about. Fortnite seems really, really cool for what it is, but I didn't like the way it felt to shoot and I never got the hang of the building stuff. Blackout looked really cool, and Call of Duty has good fundamental shooting mechanics and controls, but I just don't care enough to spend $30 to try it. This feels arguably as good or better than Call of Duty, and it's free.

And damn, it's fun. The character abilities all seem pretty neat, although I haven't used most of them yet. A good mix of damage dealing offensive abilities, mobility abilities, defensive shields, and a cool cloaking and decoy one.

My biggest issue right now is just being unfamiliar with the weapons of the game. There's not really a good way to test things out besides just jumping in a match, picking stuff up and trying to kill somebody with it. So it's a lot of dying due to things not behaving how I expect (or just straight up not knowing what to expect). Players have a lot more hit points than I initially anticipated.

I had a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing this more. We desperately needed a third person to round out our team, so some of you Xbox folks should get in on this.

It's enough fun that it has completely derailed my plans to finish up The Last Word quest.

It's really good!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:05 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I had a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing this more. We desperately needed a third person to round out our team, so some of you Xbox folks should get in on this.

I'm probably gonna download it when I get home tonight, so I should be up for giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

Free always makes things better

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:09 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's why I got into Fortnite. Free and then see if you like. Like test driving cars etc. I downloaded this morning and plan on playing a bit this week if possible. Want to get used to it before the seasons start to see if I want to actually give them any money.

Free always makes things better

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:20 (1869 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

That's why I got into Fortnite. Free and then see if you like. Like test driving cars etc. I downloaded this morning and plan on playing a bit this week if possible. Want to get used to it before the seasons start to see if I want to actually give them any money.

It's far too early to tell how deep I'll actually get, but I stayed up later than I planned last night to play, and it's all I've been thinking about all day. It's the first time a multiplayer video game has done that to me in a long time, so it sure seems promising.

It's really good!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 15:16 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

PUBG is just too janky for me to even begin to care about. Fortnite seems really, really cool for what it is, but I didn't like the way it felt to shoot and I never got the hang of the building stuff. Blackout looked really cool, and Call of Duty has good fundamental shooting mechanics and controls, but I just don't care enough to spend $30 to try it. This feels arguably as good or better than Call of Duty, and it's free.

While it's certainly different, I've no doubt you'd love Blackout eventually. I'll let you know the next time they do a free week.

And damn, it's fun. The character abilities all seem pretty neat, although I haven't used most of them yet. A good mix of damage dealing offensive abilities, mobility abilities, defensive shields, and a cool cloaking and decoy one.

I just realized today that Pathfinder's grappling hook can be used for my trademark spearfishing trolls. I haven't played as him yet, so I know what I'm excited for.

My biggest issue right now is just being unfamiliar with the weapons of the game. There's not really a good way to test things out besides just jumping in a match, picking stuff up and trying to kill somebody with it. So it's a lot of dying due to things not behaving how I expect (or just straight up not knowing what to expect).

Yeah. I didn't even consider this, because all of the weapons are second-nature to me, having played TF2, but yeah, you give a new guy a Flatline, and ask him how he should engage with it compared to an R-301? He'll probably be really confused (answer: Flatline does more damage per round, but has much higher recoil, so closer ranges).
One thing I noticed is that the Training has a second firing range to the left of the one you grab the guns from, with even more weapons, so that's as good a place as any to familiarize yourself with the weapon behaviors and names.

It's really good!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:38 (1862 days ago) @ Korny

Annoyingly I'm familiar with eh guns from Titanfall, but have no memory for proper nouns. Usually I need to fire off a few rounds to remember what the gun is in TF2, but that does not work well here.

IIRC, every single gun is in the tutorial

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 16:34 (1869 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Yep, fire up the tutorial and test them there

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 19:17 (1868 days ago) @ ZackDark

Of course some of the attachments and whatnot aren't available but you can get the basic feel for all of the weapons in the shooting range there.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 19:24 (1868 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm at the point where I've played enough that I know how most of them feel now.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 07:32 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm at the point where I've played enough that I know how most of them feel now.

I'm at this terrible point where If I see a gun I'm holding I can easily say "oh yeah, I love this gun" but if I see it in a chest or one of my teammates says "There is a R-301 over here" I'm just "what tha @#$% is that?"

I'm really loving it.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 21:18 (1868 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Korny and I played for four or five hours tonight. Blacktiger jumped in with us for a bit (and we won a game!). Here's the Mixer VOD. Our game-winning match starts at the 5:00 mark and ends at 24:30. It probably doesn't look anywhere near as exciting as it felt.

I've just been having an absolutely blast. The game just feels good, and I'm growing more comfortable actually engaging in gun fights, and getting better at learning when to push forward and be aggressive or when to bail and run away.

I know a lot of folks are bummed about no solos-only games, but I think it was a smart move. The abilities are good on their own, and ultimately would probably be fine for solo play, but I've seen some great combined uses from squads. I also know myself well enough to know that if I could play solos-only, I totally would have done that, and I don't think I'd have enjoyed that enough to still be playing it.

The "ping" system in this game is so smart. I played a handful of matches before Korny jumped on tonight, and I had a few great ones with complete randos where the built in communicate button worked fantastically. Just ping anything of interest, push down on the d-pad to say thanks, ping something someone else has pinged to agree. Obviously still a disadvantage against teams using voice chat, but it works so well, and it's still really helpful even if you're in a squad all using voice chat.

Obviously it's only been a day, but I can't overstate how much I really like the game.

Wraith Tip

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 06:30 (1867 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I didn't realize it until I saw someone else do it, but you can(should!) combine wraiths portal ability with her rift/cloak ability to open a portal without enemies knowing where you are opening it. Then your whole squad can potentially just appear behind them.

Wraith Tip

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 07:17 (1867 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Ah! That makes so much sense!

Wraith Tip

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 08:49 (1867 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

We used that exact thing last night to escape from a bunch of snipers pinning us down right before the circle collapsed. Felt really cool to just sneak away.

I’m really impressed with the interaction of some of the abilities. I was playing Caustic last night. Anyone that enters his poison cloud gets marked so that he can see them. This is great, but it can also backfire. Bangalore’s passive gives her bonus movement speed when she gets marked. That allowed her to rush in to my poison cloud and reposition faster than I anticipated and take me out.

Every time I play this game, I leave it more impressed by how well-designed everything is.

Sniping tip:

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 16:00 (1867 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And also, for an explanation of what that means (I had to google it).

If you read the full tweet thread, apparently they realized after this tweet that it's actually bugged if you're not using a FOV of 80, but they're fixing it.

Sniping tip:

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 07, 2019, 18:44 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If you read the full tweet thread, apparently they realized after this tweet that it's actually bugged if you're not using a FOV of 80, but they're fixing it.

Ah.

:p

Sniping tip:

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 23:23 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Basically, if you are good at sniping in Battlefield:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/68976103

Sniping tip:

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, February 08, 2019, 00:16 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've spent too much time trying to figure it out, but nothing I can find explains how to figure out how to calculate the bullet drop. Like, the distance is told to me at the bottom of the screen. I don't need to calculate that. lol

Sniping tip:

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 08, 2019, 12:36 (1866 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I've spent too much time trying to figure it out, but nothing I can find explains how to figure out how to calculate the bullet drop. Like, the distance is told to me at the bottom of the screen. I don't need to calculate that. lol

The distance told to you when you aim directly at the enemy is the guide for where on the tics you need to fire. Like this:

[image]

If your target is nearly 200 meters away, use the "2" under the crosshairs as the crosshair. If he's 100 meters away, use the halfway point between the center (Zero) and 200 as the crosshair.

^ Good VISUAL explanation for those not in the know.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 08, 2019, 12:52 (1866 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Got it, thanks!

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, February 08, 2019, 19:38 (1865 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Sniping tip:

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 08, 2019, 08:03 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yea I was having a great time with Snipers, when I live long enough to get one. Also note the HCOG's have this as well. But I think it only goes to 200m.

For once my real world knowledge of firearms helps in a video game!

Not to be rude, but I am surprised more people didn't pick up on that, as MOST scopes have the number, 2, 3, 4 on the tick marks.

I think we're gonna need a Pathfinder around more often...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 17:30 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That supply ship is just too irresistible, even though we know better.
So while they patch that bug...

HOLY CRAP LMAO

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 07, 2019, 18:45 (1866 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 21:03 (1866 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am just straight up addicted to this game. It's nice to finally "get" battle royale. I've always thought I understood why people like these games, but none of them have been compelling enough for me to really get into them. This one is just so damn polished and smart that I just find it super compelling.

I'm still not great at it, but I've managed to pull of some good moments. This was with Malagate and chrisfried. Unlike my win with Korny and Blacktiger a few nights ago (which gave me some sweet banner icons that make me look way more skilled than I am), I actually contributed to this victory.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheapley/video/68971775

SkillUp's video on Apex.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 10, 2019, 15:36 (1864 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been waiting for him to put out a video all week.

His point about the map design is one I hadn't considered before, mostly just because I don't really have much experience with other BR maps.

But the fact that the Apex Legends map is basically a bunch of separate, walled-off arenas really works well. The whole thing feels large and cohesive, but as the circle collapses, you're forced to move to different areas of the map. The route you take and how much time you have to get there can be a huge tactical choice. If you're strapped for time, you might be forced to go through an obvious choke point, or you can decide to go around and have to burn health items to survive being outside the bubble. Just really great stuff.

Some fun clips...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 11, 2019, 00:59 (1863 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Monday, February 11, 2019, 01:34

My capture card borked, and caught a clip at an odd speed and with a weird audio pitch. It made me giggle, though, so here it is!

Also, I liked SkillUp's video on Apex, since he did a great job at highlighting how much this game differs from the dime a dozen Battle Royales, with special regards to the Ping system alone, and how the map is comprised of ingeniously-designed mini-arenas. Even with part of their team off working on a doomed Star Wars title, Respawn is on another level here, akin to Guerilla doing Open World better than devs who "specialize" in the genre. Even tonight, we were learning new things about the UI that simply make sense (Pinging the nearest revive beacon for surviving teammates, for example).

Here's our assault on the Sniper Nest, which is one of my favorite encounter areas in the game.
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/69142044

Here's the end of the game I was in right before I joined you, where my teammate and I were cornered, outgunned, and with only a minute left before we cooked alive. But then...
https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/69142094

And the view from my perspective of the game where we dropped in, and couldn't quite decide on whether to scatter or fight.

Man, this game...

Some fun clips...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 11, 2019, 09:40 (1863 days ago) @ Korny

Man, this game...

Seriously. I’m just repeating myself now, but this is the first game in years that has me thinking “maybe 2am isn’t that late, let’s just play one more.”

I haven’t really been into competitive multiplayer since Halo 3. I even fell off of Reach fairly quickly. This game, though . . . It’s just grabbed me. It’s the first game in a long time where my experiences with randoms has been far more positive than negative. I don’t want to oversell it, but I think that ping system is largely responsible for that.

I’ll post some clips from last night in a bit. Wait until you see the one where I died on the roof when we were the final two squads. I got bamboozled by my own goddamn decoy. I didn’t even realize it at the time, I only saw what happened when I watched the footage. Feels bad—that could have cost us the game. I still don’t know why they didn’t pick up the revive on that roof.

Some more clips...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 11, 2019, 10:15 (1863 days ago) @ Korny

Assault on that sniper nest:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheapley/video/69184296

The rooftop battle:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheapley/video/69184196

Starting it off right in Runoff:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/cheapley/video/69184872

Some more clips...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 11, 2019, 12:11 (1863 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I noticed you backed out of the box to swap guns for the attachments. You don't actually have to do that! Just hit Y, and your character will swap guns without affecting the inventory menu.

The rooftop battle:

Sorry that I didn't try to rez you. That Bangalore had a clear Longbow shot on my rock, so I was trying to push in with suppression shots while keeping an eye on the downed guy on the roof.

That looked great from my angle, as you sprinted around the corner after the Wraith and gunshots rang out from offscreen. That's just fun cinematography.

Some more clips...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 11, 2019, 12:29 (1863 days ago) @ Korny

I noticed you backed out of the box to swap guns for the attachments. You don't actually have to do that! Just hit Y, and your character will swap guns without affecting the inventory menu.

That’s awesome! I did not realize that. I don’t know why I’ve never tried just swapping weapons in that menu.

The rooftop battle:

Sorry that I didn't try to rez you. That Bangalore had a clear Longbow shot on my rock, so I was trying to push in with suppression shots while keeping an eye on the downed guy on the roof.

No worries. You made the right call and took us to a win. I honestly don’t know what I was thinking. I was trying to make it to you and the cover by the cliff, but that was stupid. It’s obviously too far—I should have just dropped off the building and ducked into the door that was right there.

That looked great from my angle, as you sprinted around the corner after the Wraith and gunshots rang out from offscreen. That's just fun cinematography.

That was a lot of fun in the moment. You can see how effective constantly pinging an enemy while your down is—I’d have had no clue where she was in that smoke.

Some fun clips...

by Harmanimus @, Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:59 (1863 days ago) @ Korny

Even with part of their team off working on a doomed Star Wars title, Respawn is on another level here, akin to Guerilla doing Open World better than devs who "specialize" in the genre.

I think this is not a genuine representation of Respawn as a Developer. It is a separate dev team working on the SW title, which we have no current information that would support it being classified as “doomed” beyond EA mishandling entirey removed SW games.

It is important to understand that because as you cited Guerilla, Respawn didn’t decide to just do this because it was popular. Their Titanfall team felt this was a game worth making and that their ideas for it would be valuable in its greater context. So rather than tack it on to a Titanfall 3 release they put their whole team behind it and it shows.

Another little detail I just noticed

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:03 (1862 days ago) @ Korny

I'd never really noticed before, until I watched some of these videos.

When it gets down to the final squads, the number of players remaining in the top right corner changes to a "?" If it's just you another squad, it prevents you from knowing if they have a full team or just one person remaining. That's pretty neat.

Another little detail I just noticed

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 08:15 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd never really noticed before, until I watched some of these videos.

When it gets down to the final squads, the number of players remaining in the top right corner changes to a "?" If it's just you another squad, it prevents you from knowing if they have a full team or just one person remaining. That's pretty neat.

I don't think it has anything to do with the number of squads, I think it had to do with the number of players. We were playing last night and there were 4 squads left but we still got the ? on number of players. And there were only 2 in my squad alive at the time. I would guess when it gets below 10 players or something that happens.

Shotgun Tips

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, February 11, 2019, 09:00 (1863 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It’s not for me

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 18, 2019, 21:24 (1855 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Jumped in for a bit with Cheapley and BlackTiger tonight. I had plenty of fun, but I think it was my teammates more than the game we were playing. While I can totally see the appeal, and it does seem like a thoroughly well made game, I was instantly missing the fluid traversal and snappy combat that make Titanfall so much fun. The combat in Apex just feels a bit stiff and lifeless to me... not bad in any way, just kinda “meh”. There’s loads of cool buildup and mechanics, all leading towards a burst of action when the fighting starts, but I never found the fighting itself particularly fun.

I immediately jumped from Apex back into Titanfall 2, and had a blast.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nevindouglas/video/69641856

Overall, I’m torn on Apex. It’s great for what it is, and I’m glad people are enjoying it so much. Plus it’s always cool to see a talented developer try something a little different, and do it well. But I’m also a bit bummed out that they made this instead of Titanfall 3. There’s no shortage of Battle Royal games out there, but nobody makes anything like Titanfall. Plus, there are a lot of little mechanics and ideas in Apex that I’d love to see in a Titanfall game. Oh well :)

It’s not for me

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 00:40 (1855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're in luck, then, in theory. There is supposed to be a "Premium" Titanfall release or something in the fall sometime after the Respawn SW game. So, in theory it will be something more in line with a mainline TF game (assume it isn't just a crazy spinoff)

It’s not for me

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 09:09 (1855 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah, I can understand where you’re coming from in regards to combat. Took me a while to get used to it, but I’ve come to love it. I actually think it’s a refreshing change in a world where ever other shooter has sub-second time to kills, which feels like it’s always about whoever shot first wins. I like that this game allows me to get shot and still have time to escape and reposition and come out on top.

I understand the argument against that, too, but I think it’s a good change of pace, and it works well in this type of game.

New gun tomorrow and some free loot with Twitch Prime:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 17:25 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That Pathfinder skin is pretty sweet!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:02 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

New weapon: Havoc

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:49 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Looks cool!

New weapon: Havoc

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 11:39 (1854 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Looks cool!

It's the Volt fused with the Charge Rifle as a secondary fire. Hnng!

Can confirm that both were great weapons.

Now they just need to bring in the L-STAR and EPG as Supply drop weapons, and we'll have a rounded-out Titanfall arsenal for any playstyle! (The fact that Bloodhound is holding an L-STAR in the boxart is a good sign of things to come).

And I can think of many great uses for the Thunderbolt if they were to bring that back, too, but that would probably make for unfair endgame matches.

Xenos for the win

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 07:28 (1853 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I didn't capture enough of the ending sadly but here's the context. We're in a small circle with 1 additional squad at the end of the game. Xenos and I holed up in a building using his gas traps and we were trading some pot shots with them but nobody was doing enough damage for it to matter. Using my bloodhound abilities I'm keeping track of where the enemy is while the game prepares to shrink to the next (smaller) circle. Finally the enemy decides to hole up in a small building with two entrances. Xenos uses his ultimate ability to gas the place and I throw in a bunch of grenades through the other door. This nets us two kills but the final enemy escapes outside the building. Then this happens. It was a very intense ending to a game where we lost our third player very early and weren't able to recover him.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/blackt1g3r/video/69809110

If you look closely, I'm actually going down at the very end of the clip.

Also, apparently a closing door kills wraith when she is in the other dimension. Clearly my opponent knew about this, but I did not.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/blackt1g3r/video/69809680

The true hero of that match

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 09:27 (1853 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It was a very intense ending to a game where we lost our third player very early and weren't able to recover him.

I think you probably meant, "Our third player, Beorn, made some clutch kills at the very beginning of the match, allowing Xenos and Blackt1ger to escape and continue the mission. He bravely sacrificed himself in the name of Victory. Let's all pour one out for Beorn."

^ this

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 13:25 (1853 days ago) @ Beorn

Without you grabbing my box before you died Xenos couldn’t have even revived me.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread