The Last Word Remains The Best... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 06:19 (1898 days ago)

...and woe to those who would say otherwise! ;)

The Last Word Remains The Best...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 08:58 (1898 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I started running the Last Word and bow combo with Lucky Pants recently. I really like it. Hit with the bow and then clean up with Last Word. The bonus accuracy from Lucky Pants helped a lot on the cleanup.

That last vid made me laugh. :)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 09:11 (1898 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

alas

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:55 (1898 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Alas, I think I will never get. I keep getting curb-stomped on the the +2-1 crucible quest step. Every time I get just a little bit ahead the next game takes all of it away.

At one time I was at 17% in last weeks spotlight playlist and I thought that would give me a chance. nope. I took a break for the night and the next day the first game took it all away.

alas

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 11:33 (1898 days ago) @ CougRon

Purposefully try to play passive. Don't engage, run away when needed. If you see some of us on just ask for help, I am pretty sure assist count for this.

If I can do it, you can do it

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 12:04 (1898 days ago) @ CougRon

ChrisTheeCrappy is right - play passive and play with a wingman. I bugged out of engagements a lot more than usual, and when playing solo, I stuck with my teammates. I grouped up with Junior, Chickens, and Wu, and made a lot of progress quickly.

Keep at it!

alas

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 14:04 (1898 days ago) @ CougRon

I'll third the two posts above me. I'm ignorantly aggressive sometimes and it was destroying my stats. Once I learned I don't have to land the final blow, I completed the challenge in three games.

Just hang back with a scout or pulse rifle, or group up with your team. Land a shot and bug out. Assists do count towards the quest. If you're on tonight, we can do some crucible. I just finished the step you are on, so we can quest together.

Team Deadly Cats.

More videos brought to you by The Last Word...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 16:54 (1898 days ago) @ Ragashingo

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 17:52 (1898 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Damn! Good clips! I still need to finish the quest. Grinding out 15 Lost Sectors was so thoroughly unappealing that I haven't made time for it, yet.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 18:45 (1897 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah. That step was excessive. 10 would have been enough. 5 would have been fun. Ultimately, I did a few on different planets but then went to that big cave in the EDZ that has two entrances. The one where the Fallen are fighting the Cabal. It's got a simple layout since all you have to do to reset it is run out either way then turn around. No twist or turns or things to destroy or deactivate. Just run in, nuke the boss, run out. 15 times.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 19:13 (1897 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, I need to dedicate thirty minutes and just knock it out.

I was doing the one in the northern area by Ana Bray on Mars, knocking out those Hive requirements at the same time, but I got bored really quickly.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 11:24 (1892 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, I need to dedicate thirty minutes and just knock it out.

I was doing the one in the northern area by Ana Bray on Mars, knocking out those Hive requirements at the same time, but I got bored really quickly.

The easiest one for me was the one on titan on the lower section. It's the ogre in the storage room area. It's perfect because it's really easy to bypass the other enemies and as a titan, I just shouldercharge/melting point + Ikelos shotgun and it just takes one clip. Run away and repeat. What took a long time was just finding shotgun ammo :D

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 12:29 (1892 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Orbit > land > new SG ammo, sprint bqck.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 06:27 (1891 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Orbit > land > new SG ammo, sprint bqck.

We both know it takes me 5 minutes to load a planet :D

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 08:28 (1891 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think we once figured out and beat the first section of a new Raid while Mac was loading in.

LOL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 08:45 (1891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Sounds about right.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 08:48 (1891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

a good opportunity to multitask

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 08:49 (1891 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

MAN, I Wish TLW Was Real!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, February 15, 2019, 16:02 (1896 days ago) @ Ragashingo

.....so I could overdose on laxatives and take a giant shit on it. ;-)

The annoying PAP-PAP-PAP you hear non-stop throughout Crucible, the needless hyperinflation of ego that makes everyone think they're the best thing to ever happen to Xbox Live, the fact that it was revived in the first place...ugh.

I guess woe is me.

One thing I've noticed in the few infectious matches I've played for the Chocolate shell and that vague Pulse Rifle quest I should never have picked up--I guess there's been some fortunate balance changes(for once), as it doesn't kill in -1 shots anymore. So now it's less of a nightmare to deal with, and would still get its butt spanked by the NEW 1 shot weapons like Bygones and Blast Furnace and Trust.

If I used Hand Cannons, I'd still go with Crimson, Better Devils, Bad News--hell, I'd steal Cody's Hawkmoon before I settle for that hot mess.

But one solace that I'm enjoying though is that The Last Word has become much easier(for the most part) to obtain. And with Guided Games, in-game clans and LFG's straight from console, everyone will be able to finish the quest. Everyone will have a solid opportunity to nab The Last Word for their own. Everyone...will be super.

Detour

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, February 18, 2019, 11:03 (1893 days ago) @ Morpheus

...and that vague Pulse Rifle quest I should never have picked up--

Yeah, I have that too. Good grief it's never ending. For redrix claymore? Broadsword? I don't know. I'm on step 4 of 9 apparently.

I don't know anything about resetting Valor rank. What does this require?

Detour

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 18, 2019, 11:11 (1893 days ago) @ ManKitten

Playing a whole shitload of Crucible. It's like Prestiging in Call of Duty. You hit a certain rank, then you reset it and level it up again. Now do that five times in one season.

Detour

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, February 18, 2019, 11:59 (1893 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Playing a whole shitload of Crucible. It's like Prestiging in Call of Duty. You hit a certain rank, then you reset it and level it up again. Now do that five times in one season.

yep.

nope.

Solidarity.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:24 (1891 days ago) @ ManKitten

[image]

Go to hell, Crucible.

I’m trying to like it in Crucible

by Oholiab @, Saturday, February 16, 2019, 06:41 (1895 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, but I’m struggling to get a feel for it. I took it into the Crucible for the first time last night, and I had a hard time with it.

I’m wondering if it’s my play style: I like to hang back, but I feel like TLW wants me to be more aggressive. Likewise, I always ADS - it’s a habit that I perpetuate with Knucklehead Radar - and TLW doesn’t seem geared for that...? I tried to shoot quickly from the hip, and I felt my accuracy was severely lacking.

I want to git gud with it, so I’ll keep trying. Any tips?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, February 16, 2019, 13:04 (1895 days ago) @ Oholiab

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, but I’m struggling to get a feel for it. I took it into the Crucible for the first time last night, and I had a hard time with it.

I’m wondering if it’s my play style: I like to hang back, but I feel like TLW wants me to be more aggressive. Likewise, I always ADS - it’s a habit that I perpetuate with Knucklehead Radar - and TLW doesn’t seem geared for that...? I tried to shoot quickly from the hip, and I felt my accuracy was severely lacking.

I want to git gud with it, so I’ll keep trying. Any tips?

For better or worse, it is not an all around weapon. If anything, it is a sidearm in the truest sense. What you need is to equip something that lets you hang back in your secondary and use The Last Word on people who try to close the gap. Also, it helps to treat it as a one kill weapon. It has a fast kill time and enough bullets to kill two people with body shots but I prefer to use that damage reserve to guarantee the kill that's in front of me. Keep firing until one of you is dead and, as you get better with it, you'll often be the one who lives.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, February 16, 2019, 15:32 (1895 days ago) @ Oholiab

Your recoil impulse is about 2x when ADS. The important thing with using TLW is that you don’t want to fire it full auto in most cases. It hits as hard as a 180 but can do so faster, but even pacing your shots a little to hit your first few is highly important to its use. ADS really only to try to finish off someone running away, or to lad early damage on a shotgun.

I don’t think it makes a good primary weapon, it definitely is better suited as a compliment to something that hits harder at range. Snipers and Bows are reasonable. It is good for finishing enemies off. I also will onpy run it on my Hunter in Crucible as even with a full stack of the buff the ammo is low and the reload is not always reliable.

The “Best”, eh?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 15:08 (1892 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That’s funny, I sure do seem to win an awful lot of close-range gun fights against it ;)

Case in point:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nevindouglas/video/69704005

I know, that was too much of a fair, 1v1 gunfight. Let’s give TLW a bit of a chance, right? Here’s a 2v1, both enemies using TLW at close range against me:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nevindouglas/video/69703884

See, if either of them had been using a gun that could reliably hit anything (ie just about any other weapon) , I would have been toast. Good thing for me they were using TLW ;p

We'll... by the numbers:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 17:24 (1892 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Your 2 videos vs my 7. Your 4 kills vs my 25. Maybe you should try switching guns, eh? (I was even generous and counted your grenade assist and was fair since I didn't count my video where I wasn't using The Last Word!) :p

(If we want to be serious for just a moment, that uphill shot in your first video was a good play that would be hard to beat with any gun. The Last Word, especially, works well when you can aim a bit low and let the kick handle the aiming for you. I think you would have had me there near 100% of the time.

For the other video... you killed them pretty quick, but mostly those guys really did suck. Against a competent The Last Word user at that range who you targeted second? Yeah, you lose that near 100% of the time)

We'll... by the numbers:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 17:43 (1892 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For the other video... you killed them pretty quick, but mostly those guys really did suck. Against a competent The Last Word user at that range who you targeted second? Yeah, you lose that near 100% of the time

Cruel should have lost to a competent player throwing rocks during the fight. Not trying to diminish Cruel's skill--it's far above my own. But c'mon. How do you lose a 2v1 like that?

We'll... by the numbers:

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 20:08 (1891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

For the other video... you killed them pretty quick, but mostly those guys really did suck. Against a competent The Last Word user at that range who you targeted second? Yeah, you lose that near 100% of the time

Cruel should have lost to a competent player throwing rocks during the fight. Not trying to diminish Cruel's skill--it's far above my own. But c'mon. How do you lose a 2v1 like that?

By using The Last Word, A’s was my snarky point ;p

Jokes aside, I don’t think TLW is bad at all. Far from it. I think it’s super situational and quirky in ways that make it ineffective in most players hands. There are players who will absolutely destroy with it. Not many, but it does happen.

We'll... by the numbers:

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 00:32 (1891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

By a) getting flanked when attempting to deal with an alternate threat and b) having a teammate body block part of the engagement.

We'll... by the numbers:

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 20:18 (1891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Your 2 videos vs my 7. Your 4 kills vs my 25. Maybe you should try switching guns, eh? (I was even generous and counted your grenade assist and was fair since I didn't count my video where I wasn't using The Last Word!) :p

I only posted a couple clips to show that TLW isn’t necessarily the best gun, even within its (very limited) ideal range. I can post MORE clips like that if you want ;) Still, it can be SUPER effective in the right hands, no doubt.

Plus, you were sharing clips you got using your primary weapon. I was looking for moments where I was going against your primary weapon, which isn’t all that common... I don’t actually see many players using TLW lately.

If you want to see me get 25 kills with MY gun, just watch me play 1 game. That’s about what I average.

[image]

(If we want to be serious for just a moment, that uphill shot in your first video was a good play that would be hard to beat with any gun. The Last Word, especially, works well when you can aim a bit low and let the kick handle the aiming for you. I think you would have had me there near 100% of the time.

For the other video... you killed them pretty quick, but mostly those guys really did suck. Against a competent The Last Word user at that range who you targeted second? Yeah, you lose that near 100% of the time)

Uh-Uh. Number. SINGULAR.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 09:33 (1891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wasn't going to say anything at first since you seemed so happy about it in the OP and I didn't want to come across as rude, but all this stuff immediately went to your head, and I don't do that sitcom 'spare-their-feelings-until-the-third-act' crap.

You say you're not counting the videos where you didn't use TLW. Are you counting the ones where you did?

You got three kills with it. Not in each video--in each post.

Your seven eight videos versus Cruel's two, and he got the same amount of kills outgunning The Last Word.

Your original post is entitled The Last Word Remains The Best and had three videos in which you got one, two, and zero kills with it. Another post, entitled More Videos Brought To You By The Last Word, had one clip with two kills, one clip with one, two where you don't even fire the damn thing, and one where you literally don't even have it equipped.

These videos weren't brought to us by The Last Word. These videos were brought to us by the overinflated ego and blind overconfidence imbuing the senses that comes with equipping The Last Word and panickedly spamming the trigger. But...that wouldn't fit in the subject line.

The Last Word is not the best. The Last Word is the favorite. Luckily, by these clips posted here, I don't have anything to worry about any time soon. :-)

+1.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:53 (1891 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Korny, Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 11:29

Your seven eight videos versus Cruel's two, and he got the same amount of kills outgunning The Last Word.

The Last Word is not the best. The Last Word is the favorite. Luckily, by these clips posted here, I don't have anything to worry about any time soon. :-)

There's a reason you only really run into Last Word in Quickplay, only a couple of weeks after the gun came out.

Against certain (read: most) playstyles, The Last Word is a joke. It's best against shoulder charging Titans, people caught off guard, and players using the Free trial of D2.

Last night Cruel and I had a nonstop string of games in quickplay where we steamrolled poor teams with Last Word users. Using Fighting Lion and a sidearm (because I don't have my Mountaintop on Xbox, which eats the mostly-stationary TLW users alive), The TLWs were DOA, even when they got the drop on me!

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/69740409

And even when they had the cheap One-Eyed Mask!

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/69740368

Disclaimer: The teabagging is deserved. Cruel and I started that match completely alone against a full team, and they still teabagged when they killed me. Fortunately, we got them to take us seriously real quick:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/69740373

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread