Destiny V Warframe (extra credits video) (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 11:55 (1869 days ago)

I though some of you would find this interesting.

TLDW

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 13:12 (1869 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Destiny didn't know what it was and had inconsistent tone. No cohesive message led people to Warframe.

The interesting part to me

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 14:48 (1869 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At least to me, the interesting idea is that the marketing for Destiny had to push a certain kind of game which Destiny failed to fulfill while Warframe did fulfill. I don't know if I agree with that premise or not as I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of game the marketing was actually pushing. While I played a bit of Warframe I ultimately found it not compelling because I'm not that interested in a looter shooter and while the movement in Warframe is fun the actual shooting/fighting was not for me.

Thinking back, I don't think the marketing in Destiny actually pushed any of the things I was hoping for. Seems like it was more pushing a chill power-fantasy you play with your friends maybe?

The interesting part to me

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 15:00 (1869 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It was CoD marketing: IN SPACE.

I mean, other than the Law of the Jungle trailer, but even that checked most of those boxes. I also would put the caveat in that Warframe being F2P was much, much easier for people to pivot to even if it wasn’t actually fulfilling what they had expected Destiny to be.

Where's the data?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 06:05 (1867 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny didn't know what it was and had inconsistent tone. No cohesive message led people to Warframe.

I'm just kind of flumoxed by the jump to "and then people went to warframe". I don't actually know anyone, personally, who play Warframe. My crew has wavered on Destiny at different times and the 2 games that have "eaten Bungie's lunch" have been Fortnite and Apex Legends...

I appreciate the observations about Destiny's marketing and incoherent vision for what the game actually is, but any of the points of direct comparison to Warframe feel hollow and ill thought through outside of a "well it just looks that way" kind of analysis.

Where's the data?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 08, 2019, 11:44 (1866 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm just kind of flumoxed by the jump to "and then people went to warframe". I don't actually know anyone, personally, who play Warframe. My crew has wavered on Destiny at different times and the 2 games that have "eaten Bungie's lunch" have been Fortnite and Apex Legends...

I appreciate the observations about Destiny's marketing and incoherent vision for what the game actually is, but any of the points of direct comparison to Warframe feel hollow and ill thought through outside of a "well it just looks that way" kind of analysis.

Ever since the guy with the high voice left the show hasn’t been the same.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread