y u do dis bungie (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 14, 2019, 09:47 (1863 days ago)
edited by ManKitten, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:06

Release a quest that requires us to play a specific heroic mission directly after the week that said mission was available?

Do we have to wait until Titan is the next flashpoint and hope Thief of Thieves is up. How do I play this mission?

Also, kill Warlocks in crucible? Nobody wants to be a Warlock in crucible*!! I've played 4 games and only seen 1 warlock. This is going to take ages.

[edit] *I should clarify this statement. What I mean by "nobody wants to be a Warlock" is...Warlocks suck. You're either a hunter because you're awesome and you like having fun, or you're a Titan because you're a noob and you need a win button.

y u do dis bungie

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:07 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

Release a quest that requires us to play a specific heroic mission directly after the week that said mission was available?

Do we have to wait until Titan is the next flashpoint and hope Thief of Thieves is up. How do I play this mission?

You don't have to wait for the flashpoint - it's a MODIFIED version of that adventure, it's not normally available. If you have the quest, it should be showing on the director for you (it's near, but not exactly where, the normal Heroic Adventure stake is on Titan).

It's called 'Dead Drop' - look for that, it should be available as long as you have the quest step active.

Also, kill Warlocks in crucible? Nobody wants to be a Warlock in crucible!! I've played 4 games and only seen 1 warlock. This is going to take ages.

Wait, what? That went by almost immediately! You have weird luck.

y u do dis bungie

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:20 (1863 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's called 'Dead Drop' - look for that, it should be available as long as you have the quest step active.

Was that so hard to say? "Play the mission Dead Drop"

Good grief. I hurt for the spouse of the person that writes these descriptions.

"Hey honey, when you go to the store can you pick up a modified version of cucumbers aged in a spiced brine?"
"....you mean pickles?"

lol

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:39 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

y u do dis bungie

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:41 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

I mean, the first time you look at the Titan map after you get that step, it does the flashy “new thing here!” animation as the icon pops up.

Maybe it’s not as clear as it could be (which isn’t a unique problem for stuff in this game), but this particular instance doesn’t seem egregious.

y u do dis bungie

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:12 (1863 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe it’s not as clear as it could be (which isn’t a unique problem for stuff in this game), but this particular instance doesn’t seem egregious.

You are correct, it's not a horrible offense, but look at it from my perspective...as a commoner. I love playing Destiny and Bungie games, it's why I'm still here playing it. But most other commoners will move on pretty quickly.

Let me talk about my experience with The Division. It released, I had a lot of fun playing it. It quickly got old. When all that was left was endgame and ranking up, I quickly got confused and overwhelmed. I didn't want to spend time watching tutorials and browsing reddit just to know how to play the game.

Then The Division apparently got a big update and everyone said "The Division is back, it's so much better, give it a second chance!" and I said "no thanks, I'm good"

Now imagine Johny Q. Common telling this exact same story about Destiny. There are SO many things that could be easily explained but they don't.

I've beaten 3 Escalation Protocols but have never opened a chest because you have to have some sort of key...I have no idea how to get that key. I've only played 1 nightfall because I have no idea how the cards work. I've given up on my Wayfarer badge because of this.

Everything about the Dreaming city is just a giant question mark.

All I'm saying is...it's not that hard to say "the thing" instead of waxing poetic about everything.

y u do dis bungie

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:42 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

Oh, don't get me wrong. I mostly agree with you. Bungie is fucking awful at giving players direction and explaining things, full stop.

The Escalation Protocol stuff is an example that I've mentioned a few times. Having to google what weapons have a possibility of dropping on any given week is asinine. I can't actually recall how (or even if) the game really explains the key system. I don't think it does, it mostly requires the player to read the item description and visit Ana and figure it out.

The Dreaming City stuff is all fine, I think--that's sort of the point of that area. It can be frustrating, for sure, but I think it works there, for whatever reason. I'm okay with hidden mechanics and having to figure things out, it's mostly just that they don't explain the day-to-day "How does this work?" at all. They don't even teach players how Gambit works! Those pop-ups don't count--no one wants to read that shit in the middle of a firefight. It's literally the worst way I could think of to try and teach someone how that game mode works.

Bungie needs to hire people that actually know how to tutorialize things, because they just flat out suck at it.

It's almost like they could add some sort of . . .oh, I dunno, Quest screen that keeps track of all this shit and gives players some direction. Nah, that' probably wouldn't work . . .

y u do dis bungie

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:53 (1863 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie needs to hire people that actually know how to tutorialize things, because they just flat out suck at it.

Heh - the funny part about this sentence is that they used to have a guy who was FANTASTIC at this. Until they burned him out and he quit.

y u do dis bungie

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 14:02 (1863 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - the funny part about this sentence is that they used to have a guy who was FANTASTIC at this. Until they burned him out and he quit.

I don't intend to come off as mean, either (though I know I probably did). It's just the truth. I like a little mystery, when it's warranted, but just straight up not being clear with quests or base mechanics for activities is really frustrating.

I have no doubt that it's a difficult problem to solve. I'm thinking of the Awoken Talisman and the Small Gifts and stuff like that in the Pursuits tab. It doesn't explain what those do, and it shouldn't, I don't think, but just having them idle in the Pursuits tab until you figure it out seems sloppy, somehow.

Deciding to make the Pursuits tab at all instead of having the D1 style quest screen, or even the D2 Year 1 Milestones tab on the Destination screen seems like a step backwards.

I feel your pain

by Oholiab @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:44 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

These days I just ask Your Accomplice to brief me on how things work so that I can spend more time actually playing the game I enjoy so much.

You are not alone

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, March 25, 2019, 17:44 (1852 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, March 25, 2019, 17:54

You are correct, it's not a horrible offense, but look at it from my perspective...as a commoner. I love playing Destiny and Bungie games, it's why I'm still here playing it. But most other commoners will move on pretty quickly.

Now imagine Johny Q. Common telling this exact same story about Destiny. There are SO many things that could be easily explained but they don't.

I've beaten 3 Escalation Protocols but have never opened a chest because you have to have some sort of key...I have no idea how to get that key. I've only played 1 nightfall because I have no idea how the cards work. I've given up on my Wayfarer badge because of this.

Everything about the Dreaming city is just a giant question mark.

All I'm saying is...it's not that hard to say "the thing" instead of waxing poetic about everything.

I'm not really Johnny Q. Common, I've been around the block a time or two. And I'm far too determined/stubborn to just move on and abandon now

I want you to know, that you are not alone in this. Seriously, I am in the same situation, I can't/didn't rush through the content at drop of the Expansion and was hastily left behind on The Dreaming City. The game didn't provide a clear direction or compelling reason to go to the Dreaming City nor explain anything when I figured out that I was supposed to go there (I don't know which Week #). I've been there only a handful of times but get lost and not progressed any. It is a stunningly beautiful area with much to explore (which I LOVE to do, but this only adds to the confusion).
I will not spend my limited play time, instead of playing, watching horrific explanation videos on YouBoob.
I saw there is a new vendor with new Bounties that I don't have the inventory space to even pick up nor the playtime to attempt them before they expire. My limited playtime has been mostly put towards
Gambit/Crucible/Strikes/Seasonal Events/Chase Limited Time pinnacle items/Triumphs/etc. I have limited play time and there is not much time left after doing all these other things, plus I like to sleep.

There are others out there in the same exact boat as you.

I am now deeply worried about myself, because I have just placed myself in the same Camp as the self professed Village Idiot. :(

You are not alone

by Harmanimus @, Monday, March 25, 2019, 19:58 (1852 days ago) @ Pyromancy

It is a little weird that in game The Dreaming City isn’t more clearly pushed as the core Endgame for Forsaken. It is still on of the most efficient places for time-sensitive power growth. It’s also the most engaging content to repeat week-after-week due to being inherently different eqch week.

But the game doesn’t do the best job selling that.

You are not alone

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 08:06 (1851 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It is a little weird that in game The Dreaming City isn’t more clearly pushed as the core Endgame for Forsaken. It is still on of the most efficient places for time-sensitive power growth. It’s also the most engaging content to repeat week-after-week due to being inherently different eqch week.

Well, that depends on what you mean by the "core endgame" because the raid is literally based in it. And the campaign ends in it as well. How much more do you want them to say it's where you end?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that everyone has a different interpretation of endgame and how much information they want to clarify it. Those two points listed above was enough for me.

You are not alone

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 14:11 (1851 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

There is a questline that leads to it. The marketing was pretty clear about it. The raid stuff is there.But it isn’t emphasized by the game to go to the DC anymore than opening up Titan did from the EDZ. There is still so much to do elsewhere with flashing icons on the director.

I am here with you.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 08:37 (1851 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yeah, I've been in the Dreaming City maybe a dozen times. Other than boring weekly missions, a once a month Dungeon, and a raid that I have zero interest in, I don't really see what makes it any different than any other place in the game. Certainly nothing tells me that it is an efficient place to level up (and honestly, your post is news to me).
The Escalation Protocol event in the Dreaming City doesn't seem to drop powerful gear, and it causes me eye strain to be there, so I haven't even unlocked the majority of my extra Supers.

To me, it doesn't even look remotely as interesting as people seem to hype it up around here (then again, I may have been spoiled by God of War as far as fantasy settings go)...

How can one level up quickly here?

I am here with you.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 09:04 (1851 days ago) @ Korny

You get Powerful Drops in the Dreaming City from:

Your first Blind Well Tier 4 completion
Petra's Blind Well Bounty (2 Tier 4 completions finishes it).
Petra's Ascendant Challenge Bounty (find and complete the weekly ascendant challenge, very fun activities)
Completing both of the above bounties gets an extra powerful drop.
The weekly 8 dailys bounty.
The weekly story.
Shattered Throne encounters, if Max Curse Week.

I am here with you.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 09:27 (1851 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, I've been in the Dreaming City maybe a dozen times. Other than boring weekly missions, a once a month Dungeon, and a raid that I have zero interest in, I don't really see what makes it any different than any other place in the game. Certainly nothing tells me that it is an efficient place to level up (and honestly, your post is news to me).
The Escalation Protocol event in the Dreaming City doesn't seem to drop powerful gear, and it causes me eye strain to be there, so I haven't even unlocked the majority of my extra Supers.

To me, it doesn't even look remotely as interesting as people seem to hype it up around here (then again, I may have been spoiled by God of War as far as fantasy settings go)...

Each week, you have the story mission (1 of 3 on a weekly rotation), the ascendant challenge (1 of 6 on a weekly rotation), and Petra’s weekly challenge that all reward powerful drops. Petra’s challenge involves doing some Blind Well to obtain an offering for the Oracle, as well as completing 8 daily bounties.

In addition to the powerful drops, many of the activities will provide regular legendary drops. Blind Well, the Oracle offering, many of the bounties, chests, powerful enemies, public events, ascendant bounties, etc. This isn’t anything special on its own, but the Dreaming City is a bit more of a full-featured loot ecosystem than the other destinations. It has a full set of unique and good weapons, plus the Dreaming City armor is one of the few sets in the game that can roll with enhansed perks.

So, on a single character, my average weekly trip to the Dreaming City will yield 10-15 legendary drops (not including Prime engrams), 3 of which will be Powerful drops. With so many drops from the DC gear set, it’s faster to build up a collection of armor and weapons that have the perks you like, and then use the powerful drops to keep your gear at max light without needing to spend Cores. Basically, it makes it easier to brute-force your way past all the crappy RNG barriers than in any other destination.

On top of all this, there’s the fact that many of the Black Armory bounties can also be completed in the Dreaming City. So that’s a bonus.

This is all without touching the ascendant chests, hidden activities, Shattered Throne (3 more powerful drops per character when its available), or the raid. Mechanically, I don’t actually think of the Raid as part of the Dreaming City, because it has its own self-contained loot pool. But if you do get into the raid, it has another great set of weapons that are loads of fun to use.

I am here with you.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 15:47 (1851 days ago) @ Korny

As said above by others about drops, that covers most of the big stuff. So in an hour you can hit the story mission, Ascenent Challenge, and Blind Well done. Blind Well with 2 Tier 4 completions gets Petra’s Bounty and the completion there. That is 5 Powerful drops. In contrast on Day 1 of a Flashpoint you can do a Heroic Adventure and finish the Flashpoint for 2 Powerful drops, in a comparable timeframe. A second visit later for a second Heroic Adventure is 3 Powerful drops. With a second visit to DC you can complete the 8 Daily Bounties for Petra and get a 6th drop.

You can squeeze a lot out of it compared to other activities. Not that you should limit yourself if you are just after powerful drops, but there are lots of good reasons to do stuff in the DC if you are pressed for time and not specifically trying to pursue other activities.

u made me chuckle

by Oholiab @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:41 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

y u do dis bungie

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 15:27 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

"Hey honey, when you go to the store can you pick up a modified version of cucumbers aged in a spiced brine?"
"....you mean pickles?"

I know, right?

Would LOVE a DIM type app that translates all the flowery prose into simple to follow instructions. Would be a nice change of pace from looking up every quest step online for directions.

Would call it the Cayde-6 filter- "Bad people doing bad things."

y u do dis bungie

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 15:39 (1863 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but Braytech is really helpful for tracking everything in the game. Triumphs, checklists for all gear and items, available Powerful Gear drops for the week. It breaks down the Dreaming City activities based on the current cycle it's in, tells you which Ascendant Challenge is available this week. Shows which Escalation Protocol weapons are up for grabs for the week. It's a really great resource.

y u do dis bungie

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:26 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

...or you're a Titan because you're a noob and you need a win button.

Jealousy is dangerous. But a Titan is more so. ;)

y u do dis bungie

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:01 (1863 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Completed the hunter part of the quest in less than 1 game. Just sayin.

y u do dis bungie

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 13:43 (1863 days ago) @ ManKitten

A testament to how easy it is to kill Hunters. ;)

*sensibly chuckles in Warlock*

y u do dis bungie

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, March 15, 2019, 07:23 (1862 days ago) @ ManKitten

Well that's because hunters are so easy to kill! duh!

y u do dis bungie

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, March 15, 2019, 08:10 (1862 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by ManKitten, Friday, March 15, 2019, 08:13

Well that's because hunters are so easy to kill! duh!

eh, that's debatable. taking out hunters was the fastest part of the challenge but taking out titans was the easiest. I just had to leave some Pop Tarts laying around as bait and they were too distracted to be productive. Goodness gracious do Titans love Pop Tarts. It's even in the Grimoire.

[image]

Wait... wut?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 15, 2019, 08:53 (1862 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread