Fallout Hates (solo) Gambit (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, March 18, 2019, 07:21 (1856 days ago)

Nevin/Cruel has a great emote for situations just like this.

Fallout Hates (solo) Gambit

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 09:04 (1856 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

This would almost certainly induce a rage-quit from me.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, March 18, 2019, 09:23 (1856 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

This is infuriating! I was playing Prime last night and banked some motes right after the "Bank those motes to summon a primeval" line was heard. As soon as I did, I got the medal "Following Instructions" I had never noticed getting that before so don't know if it's new but I started laughing and yelling at the blueberry across the map holding 13 motes, and still fighting.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:36 (1856 days ago) @ ManKitten

This is infuriating! I was playing Prime last night and banked some motes right after the "Bank those motes to summon a primeval" line was heard. As soon as I did, I got the medal "Following Instructions" I had never noticed getting that before so don't know if it's new but I started laughing and yelling at the blueberry across the map holding 13 motes, and still fighting.

It's new (it was introduced with Gambit Prime), and it amazes me that it hasn't had a larger effect on behavior.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:34 (1856 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's new (it was introduced with Gambit Prime), and it amazes me that it hasn't had a larger effect on behavior.

I think a lot of people learn to just tune out the announcer voice since it's just fluff most of the time. (Shaxxgasm anyone?) I'd love it if the Drifter continued talking to you if you didn't turn in the motes though. He should start saying the kinds of things the rest of your team is thinking like "What are you doing!? Get to the bank and summon that Primeval now!" or "You can't collect any more motes! Get to the bank!" or "Your ghost must have scrambled your brains the last time he revived you. Deposit those motes!".

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:40 (1856 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:54

The problem is that Bungie doesn’t bother to teach players how Gambit works.

I have been that person before, because I have a bounty for banking motes, and I just need those few extras to finish it and not have to play another match. It’s not always player incompetence, it’s the fact that Destiny is designed so that winning isn’t the primary motivator for players in competitive activities. Bounties and Triumphs and some quests actively encourage behavior that isn’t necessarily what’s best for winning matches. Trying to win games of Crucible or Gambit with randoms who might not even be trying to win is an exercise in frustration. I’m often not trying to win when I play. I’m in the middle of the Malfeasance quest. That’s what I’m playing for when I solo queue into Gambit—winning means nothing to me until I get to the step that requires wins.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:01 (1856 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The problem is that Bungie doesn’t bother to teach players how Gambit works.

I have been that person before, because I have a bounty for banking motes, and I just need those few extras to finish it and not have to play another match. It’s not always player incompetence, it’s the fact that Destiny is designed so that winning isn’t the primary motivator for players in competitive activities. Bounties and Triumphs and some quests actively encourage behavior that isn’t necessarily what’s best for winning matches. Trying to win games of Crucible or Gambit with randoms who might not even be trying to win is an exercise in frustration. I’m off not trying to win when I play. I’m in the middle of the Malfeasance quest. That’s what I’m playing for when I solo queue into Gambit—winning means nothing to me until I get to the step that requires wins.

Okay, I get all that... but in this case, none of that applies. In standard Gambit (which is what he was playing), 15 motes is the most you can hold. When you collect 15 motes, a tone sounds, a large message appears on-screen telling you that you're holding max motes, and if you miss all that, it's not really Bungie's fault for not being more clear.

He can't pick up any more motes, and the game has told him (more than once) to get his ass to the bank and deposit what he's got. He can't complete more bounties by running to the other side of the map - all he can do is lose the 15 motes he has.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:13 (1856 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was replying to ManKitten’s anecdote, not the video.

Sure, 2 motes isn’t much, but it might be enough to finish a bounty or quest step. I do that all the time. Especially if the other team has a Primeval already and I know I’m free to collect without having to worry about an Invader.

I dunno, I’m sure there are plenty of people who will think it makes me an asshole, but I’ll take an extra minute and losing a match to complete an objective I need over having to solo-queue another game of Gambit 100% of the time.

FWIW, I’m not saying there aren’t tons of incompetent fools playing Gambit—there certainly are. They might even be more common than people focusing on bounties.

As far as the Drifter yelling, I’m not sure that has much of an effect. When you’re focused on something, that can often just end up as background noise. It’s nearly as effective as throwing up tiny text at the bottom of the screen in the middle of a firefight to try and give pertinent info and tutorialize key mechanics.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:21 (1856 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Your comment is accurate and I do the same thing. With some of the title grinds, you have to kill X amount of enemies in gambit. So if the guy in the video were working on kills, it's in HIS best interest to NEVER bank motes. Even to pick as many up as he can, and then die!

Yes, there are lots of tasks in Destiny that require you to actively screw over your teammates in order to further your progress. But...I do it to. Just like, I'm the guy screaming at the car tailgating me while I'm rubbing bumpers with the car in front of me.

View of myself: "Well, I gotta get this done, so they will just have to deal with it."
View of others: "WTF r U doing!! 455H0L3!!!"

eh well.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:28 (1856 days ago) @ ManKitten

I think we all do it.

Last night Argent invited me to do a Forge. I needed two more Public Events to have a blue weapon frame ready to go. I loaded onto Titan and smashed the Spider Tank with Whisper before the five blueberries could make it Heroic. That’s a dick move, I guess, but I wanted to get the event done as quick as possible so I could get to the thing I actually wanted to do. At least there’s not a quest tied to making that one Heroic, and Titan isn’t the Flashpoint, so I don’t feel bad. But the fact that the game is just designed in such a way that efficiency usually wins over fun or trying to win is certainly bothersome.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, March 18, 2019, 11:34 (1856 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think we all do it.

Last night Argent invited me to do a Forge. I needed two more Public Events to have a blue weapon frame ready to go. I loaded onto Titan and smashed the Spider Tank with Whisper before the five blueberries could make it Heroic. That’s a dick move, I guess, but I wanted to get the event done as quick as possible so I could get to the thing I actually wanted to do. At least there’s not a quest tied to making that one Heroic, and Titan isn’t the Flashpoint, so I don’t feel bad. But the fact that the game is just designed in such a way that efficiency usually wins over fun or trying to win is certainly bothersome.

If you think about it, it's a perfect system as it reflects trying to do anything in public. What would I complain about if the Aldi isn't packed to the gills and all the traffic lights were green?

We all got to have a nice lighthearted facepalm moment because of that video. And isn't that the real prize? We don't need magic shoes, the magic was in our heart the whole time. You're a wizard Harry.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:05 (1855 days ago) @ ManKitten

We all got to have a nice lighthearted facepalm moment because of that video. And isn't that the real prize? We don't need magic shoes, the magic was in our heart the whole time. You're a wizard Harry.

All I got from that video was higher blood pressure. 'Lighthearted'... I'm not that low-key. :(

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread