THAB: Luna's Howl Nerf Edition! (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 25, 2019, 20:25 (1826 days ago)

Magnificent Howl (the unique perk on these weapons) is too effective. It works in a neutral setting and rewards players for getting precision shots—something they would have done naturally. As a result, the time to kill of the game shifts to meet this new benchmark, and players feel that the majority of primary weapons in Destiny 2 cannot compete with these pinnacle weapons.

Our current plan is to make Luna’s Howl and Not Forgotten the only 150 RPM precision Hand Cannons. They will maintain some aspects of their current behavior while taking on the firing speed and damage of the 150 RPM Hand Cannons. Magnificent Howl will also be adjusted so that it increases only body-shot damage, resulting in a two headshot/one body-shot kill. Magnificent Howl will still give an advantage due to requiring less precision hits for optimal time to kill.

THAB: Luna's Howl Nerf Edition!

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 26, 2019, 02:56 (1826 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is such a weird way to try to fix the problem.

My top concern

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:13 (1826 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Here’s the thing with Luna’s Howl; when I use it within its effective range, it hits what I point it at. Magnificent Howl is a fantastic perk, but even without it, I’d still use Luna in PvP over any other hand cannon. It’s quick, snappy, great reload speed, super stable, and it actually hits what you point it at.

There are other great hand cannons. Trust & Malfesence are the same archetype, and can be quite effective. But there’s something about the way these guns handle and fire that feels squishy or sloppy compared to Luna’s. Maybe it’s just me, but I find that there’s something about the recoil animation of these other guns that throws off my timing. I feel like it’s ready to fire again when it actually isn’t, which constantly leads to gun fights where I pull the trigger 6 times, but only fire 4 bullets. With Luna’s, that just never happens for me.

So my concern is that in changing the archetype, they might change the characteristics that make Luna’s feel so crisp and snappy.

On top of that, it looks to me like they’re severely nerfing the gun’s PvE potential. It’ll be ok, but it won’t pack the punch it does now. And that’s a shame :-/

My top concern

by squidnh3, Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:43 (1826 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So my concern is that in changing the archetype, they might change the characteristics that make Luna’s feel so crisp and snappy.

Supposedly the major difference between the 180 rpm handcannons and the 140/150s (not sure about the 110s) is that the 140/150s have a bloom mechanic on console. Meaning that the faster you fire, the larger the bullet cone gets. On PC, this bloom is removed, so my understanding is that the 140/150s (includes Ace of Spades) compete with Luna's and there's a larger variety of handcannons used.

I continue to find it interesting that the bloom mechanic is a hill Bungie has been willing to die on for the past 9 years (starting with Halo: Reach). It has never really been well received by the community, so Bungie must feel very strongly that it serves some important purpose. I can sort of see an argument that it's a more "elegant" way of balancing weapon range zones than damage dropoff, but Bungie is currently using that mechanic too. I'd love to see Bungie put together something that explains their philosophy behind these mechanics. Their communication on this level has been mostly platitudes recently.

My top concern

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:38 (1826 days ago) @ squidnh3

Supposedly the major difference between the 180 rpm handcannons and the 140/150s (not sure about the 110s) is that the 140/150s have a bloom mechanic on console. Meaning that the faster you fire, the larger the bullet cone gets. On PC, this bloom is removed, so my understanding is that the 140/150s (includes Ace of Spades) compete with Luna's and there's a larger variety of handcannons used.

I continue to find it interesting that the bloom mechanic is a hill Bungie has been willing to die on for the past 9 years (starting with Halo: Reach). It has never really been well received by the community, so Bungie must feel very strongly that it serves some important purpose. I can sort of see an argument that it's a more "elegant" way of balancing weapon range zones than damage dropoff, but Bungie is currently using that mechanic too. I'd love to see Bungie put together something that explains their philosophy behind these mechanics. Their communication on this level has been mostly platitudes recently.

As someone on Reddit pointed out, it’s especially perplexing given the fact that Bungie has a test-group if players who get to play a version of the game without Bloom: PC players. Over on PC, neither Luna’s or Not Forgotten are especially dominant. All the commentary I’ve ever seen that compares the PC to console versions of the game report that the guns feel better on PC, largely due to lack of bloom.

So yeah, it does seem like a strange approach to the whole issue.

I die to Ace of Spades on pc a LOT

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, April 26, 2019, 13:47 (1826 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

My top concern

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, April 29, 2019, 06:42 (1823 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

As someone on Reddit pointed out, it’s especially perplexing given the fact that Bungie has a test-group if players who get to play a version of the game without Bloom: PC players. Over on PC, neither Luna’s or Not Forgotten are especially dominant. All the commentary I’ve ever seen that compares the PC to console versions of the game report that the guns feel better on PC, largely due to lack of bloom.

So yeah, it does seem like a strange approach to the whole issue.

Yeah, but I would never play on PC because as far as I've heard, it's still dominated by Hand cannon use. Consoles might have their flaws, but at least there is a range of weapon use.

My top concern

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 20:07 (1819 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You get a fair breadth of Hand Cannons. But you get way more Pulse Rifles at most levels of play, they're simply really easy to use with a mouse. At least outside of running into sweats who're gonna sweat, I see far more PRs than HCs. (Caveat, I'm definitely not at the lowest level of play, but I don't play enough to be super high level. When I play with folks I know who are much higher in their level of play it's still a lot of PRs, but I just see an uptick in meta-based play)

My top concern

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:50 (1826 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just never really felt like Luna’s or NF were broken.

I win plenty of fights against Luna’s while using Trust or Service Revolver. 9 times out of 10, if you lost to a Luna’s Howl, you’re losing to the player, not the gun. They’d have killed you with a Trust just as well.

My top concern

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:54 (1826 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just on a base level, I’ve largely defined Destiny guns by their firing rates. Knocking these guns into the lower firing rate seems like it makes them different guns. Changing that Magnificent Howl perk from increasing headshot damage to bodyshot damage seems like it adds changing where you should aim on top of changing the rhythm of how you use the gun.

I’m happy to see a nerf applied to problematic weapons instead of buffs applied to the entire rest of the sandbox since I’m of the opinion that Bungie got too much on a buffing streak, but these two overlapping changes feel like they will “break” these guns. The numbers might say you still have an advantage, but the feel will probably change dramatically.

If the problem was Magnificent Howl allowing two shot kills, just decrease the perk damage? I’d think even a massive 50% or 75% decrease in damage the perk does would be preferable to essentially changing these into different guns.

You forgot the most important part

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:31 (1826 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Xur’s bounty this week is broken. It requires vex kills on the Taken Shore and there are no vex anywhere on the shore.

You forgot the most important part

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 26, 2019, 13:53 (1826 days ago) @ CougRon

Xur’s bounty this week is broken. It requires vex kills on the Taken Shore and there are no vex anywhere on the shore.

And no, Warden of Nothing does not count as Taken Shore.

Oh. That's why.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 26, 2019, 15:42 (1826 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread