Joe Blackburn (Raid Design Lead) becomes PS4 exclusive. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 07:55 (1816 days ago)
edited by Korny, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 08:04

Joe Blackburn has worked on (or has been Lead on) every single raid/ raid lair post VoG. He's leaving to join Santa Monica to work on the raids for the next God of War (lol, I mean who knows).

Not alone, he's joined in departure by the Forsaken Narrative Lead (and 4th Bungie Lead to leave in the past month), Jill Scharr:

While she was lead on Forsaken, she's been with Bungie's narrative team since The Taken King. Aaron Linde (Battleborne, Guild Wars 2 living world) will take over her position as Lead Writer & Narrative designer.

Joe Blackburn (Raid Design Lead) becomes PS4 exclusive.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 11:00 (1816 days ago) @ Korny

I know we talk about this every time this happens, but . . .

How does Bungie’s turnover compare to the rest of the industry? It sure seems high, but they’re also the only studio I really pay attention to in this capacity.

Are the work conditions bad, or are people just tired of working on Destiny in the same way they were tired of doing Halo?

Joe Blackburn going to work on God of War is really exciting though!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 13:14 (1816 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah... it interesting because we know Bungie just spent a good bit of money to buy back the full rights to Destiny. That makes it super unlikely that they're winding down. I hope it's not working conditions, but it doesn't appear to be on the surface. There's was that good GDC talk about Gambit a few weeks ago that the lead talked about it being the best development experience he ever had. And these two both seemed to regard their time at Bungie fondly. Jill was even thanking her team in the next tweet.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 15:42 (1816 days ago) @ Ragashingo

From what i’ve heard of from little birds here and there is that working at Bungie is a generally very good experience all around. Regardless of what level you are working at. Most folks who leave are on, outwardly at least, positive terms. From my limited experience following other developers, Bungie’s turnover is pretty common/consistent with other studios. But some of that perspective will vary by studio because some are higher profile than others. It also has to do with developer visibility. Bungie is still a generally open company. Lots of publicly visible leads and developers, while other studios which might not have that same visibility won’t have those changes noticed.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 16:51 (1815 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I know we talk about this every time this happens, but . . .

How does Bungie’s turnover compare to the rest of the industry?

I can't give anything with certainty, but scuttlebutt I've collected across the grape vine says that there is no such thing a job security in Game Dev. If you can find a better deal, you go and take it wherever in the world it takes you.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread