a request for Xboxers (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 10:36 (1821 days ago)

Due to life events, I haven't played any games in a while save for a raid once a week for the last few weeks. Honestly, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play going forward. (I'm dreading the next change to the level cap and how that might affect my ability to raid.)

I thinking that a long session with DBOers might be a good way to experience the latest stuff, and to see what happens level-wise. Any guidance and advice about maximizing my time would be welcome. If there are weapons that seem necessary (especially for raiding), I'm up for advice on that, too.

I'm not looking to grind or get sweaty, but merely to have some fun and see what there is to see. An occasional long swim in the pool might be the way forward for me, if that's even a possible way to maintain some currency in a "lifestyle" game. We'll see.

I put an event up for tomorrow night, but that's not a commitment--only a stake in the ground. Sign up there or let me know if there might be a better time between then and Sunday night.

Thank you.

General gun choices

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 10:57 (1821 days ago) @ Kermit

I thinking that a long session with DBOers might be a good way to experience the latest stuff, and to see what happens level-wise. Any guidance and advice about maximizing my time would be welcome. If there are weapons that seem necessary (especially for raiding), I'm up for advice on that, too.

Personally I think that Destiny is in a good place where there aren't many "needed" guns anymore. Whisper is always good for boss DPS, but it's no longer so far ahead of the pack that it's essential. For raids, my go to for any encounter is Thunderlord. If you can't spare the Exotic, just go for a machine gun. If you don't have another one, my personal favorite right now is DARCI because it hits bosses hard still and it has enough ammo that you shouldn't be afraid to use it on non-bosses.

Other than that, do what feels good to you. There are very few "trash" guns in my opinion and if you are using one out of 3 then you are still pretty set.

I'm sure there are others that think otherwise ;)

Forget guns.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 12:25 (1821 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Thanks to the Revelry tonic, all you need is Fists!

Seriously, right now is a fun time to play all content without worrying about guns. The entire game is less challenging, but more fun thanks to Tonics.

You shouldn't have lived that long.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 12:39 (1821 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

a request for Xboxers

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 11:04 (1821 days ago) @ Kermit

I don’t know that I can be of help in showing you the current stuff. I’ve been out for a while too, and don’t really intend to dive back in right now.

But I will certainly hop on for a night to play with you! It’s been too long!

Would totally sign up...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 11:17 (1821 days ago) @ Kermit

...if we didn't have tickets for Endgame tomorrow night. :( I'm sorry.

I'll echo Mac, though - there aren't any 'must-have' guns, really. You can do almost all activities (I guess you're asking specifically about raids, and I'm not sure I have the right experience to answer that specific question, but with all OTHER activities) with whatever is comfortable to you.

That’s a movie, right?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 13:45 (1821 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

That’s a movie, right?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 14:23 (1821 days ago) @ Kermit

I marathon watched all 22 previous movies in order before finally seeing it last night. I lost a lot of sleep to do it. Totally worth it.

Jiminy Christmas.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 14:56 (1821 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

But in what order??

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 16:19 (1821 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

But in what order??

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 18:02 (1820 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I used this one. Technically Captain Marvel should be earlier, but I stuck with it. I've seen a few other lists, but just decided to go with this one. I would love to see somebody make a super cut of all scenes in chronological order, then watch it as one super long movie.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/watch-every-marvel-cinematic-universe-movie-in-the-right-order-before-captain-marvel/

No

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 16:53 (1820 days ago) @ Kermit

It's an endurance test for your bladder.

I'm not even gonna try in that case

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 17:12 (1820 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

182 minutes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 17:36 (1820 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

182 minutes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 02, 2019, 15:38 (1820 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I had to spend the last 4 hours before the movie not drinking a drop of anything and then pee right before it started.

182 minutes

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 15:43 (1820 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, I had to spend the last 4 hours before the movie not drinking a drop of anything and then pee right before it started.

All you hamsters... I don't get it.

How did you handle long-distance car trips?

(Less than 6 hours, you weren't allowed to ask for stops. Pretty much the driving range of the car (350 highway miles @ ~60mph) was what you could expect in terms of bathroom breaks. You get used to it.)

182 minutes

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 15:52 (1820 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think it's just a Pavlovian response at this point.

I could be completely dehydrated, but as soon as my ass hits a movie theater seat, I immediately have to pee.

+1

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 15:58 (1820 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

182 minutes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 02, 2019, 18:58 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(Less than 6 hours, you weren't allowed to ask for stops. Pretty much the driving range of the car (350 highway miles @ ~60mph) was what you could expect in terms of bathroom breaks. You get used to it.)

Nothing is 6 hours away. Actually, São Paulo is, but why would we ever drive there?

I do have a very small bladder, though. Literally failed a class once because they wouldn't let me go the bathroom midtest without handing it out. The cold and oversized drinks definitely don't help.

182 minutes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 19:16 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You don’t understand. All the industry screenings don’t allow food. So when I go see a movie and pay for it, I take full advantage and go in there with a hot dog, a popcorn, and icee, and a coke. That can last 2 hours no prob. But man after three it gets painful.

182 minutes

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 03, 2019, 10:38 (1819 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You don’t understand. All the industry screenings don’t allow food. So when I go see a movie and pay for it, I take full advantage and go in there with a hot dog, a popcorn, and icee, and a coke. That can last 2 hours no prob. But man after three it gets painful.

MAXIMUM NOISE!

(Nico tried to sneak in a super-crinkly bag of chips, which he planned to use to make as much noise as possible each time tritone trombones were played to signify deep meaning in the action. He was disappointed that he wasn't able to get the bag inside the theater, but pleasantly surprised by the overall music quality of the movie (relative to recent Marvel blockbusters).)

I discovered, last night, that when a movie is 3 hours long, you have a pretty good sense when a 'solution' is going to fail - if the heroes do something amazing at 60 minutes in, you can pretty much count on it failing. I guess what that means is, I was insufficiently immersed in the story.

Hot no-spoiler take: it was a fine action flick. It hit too many predictable beats to make me really happy. It certainly didn't waste my money, but I don't feel like this will be one of those movies I come back to, down the line, to relive the moment.

182 minutes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:16 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah I literally will never watch it again.

Meanwhile I’ve seen Batman & Robin four times.

182 minutes

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:18 (1819 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You’re a broken human being.

182 minutes

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:23 (1819 days ago) @ cheapLEY

To be fair, three of those were back-to-back, while he was strapped to a chair with mechanical devices holding his eyes open.

182 minutes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 03, 2019, 13:29 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, May 03, 2019, 13:34

To be fair, three of those were back-to-back, while he was strapped to a chair with mechanical devices holding his eyes open.

I WAS CURED ALRIGHT

Jiminy Christmas.

by Robot Chickens, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:44 (1819 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Robot Chickens, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:56

I’ve seen Batman & Robin four times.

I had a girlfriend who liked that movie. I'm not saying that was a deal-breaker, but I should have read it as a sign.

ROFL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 03, 2019, 11:57 (1819 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

182 minutes

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, May 03, 2019, 12:08 (1819 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I greatly enjoy that movie too.

182 minutes

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, May 04, 2019, 20:51 (1817 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hot no-spoiler take: it was a fine action flick. It hit too many predictable beats to make me really happy. It certainly didn't waste my money, but I don't feel like this will be one of those movies I come back to, down the line, to relive the moment.

I can understand that perspective.

I really, really enjoyed it. I won't call it the pinnacle of the medium or anything. Mostly, I agree that it was just a fine action flick, taken solely on its own. With the context of the MCU as a whole, and as the culmination of a decade and twenty something other movies, it was damn near pitch perfect for me. I wish we got some more fleshed out character arcs, but the ones we saw finish in this film were great, I think.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 05, 2019, 07:43 (1817 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You basically have to take the whole MCU into account to get all the nuances, but damn if those nuances don't pay off

182 minutes

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 03, 2019, 13:19 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Are you sure you're not part California Redwood or something? You don't sound like a human being your age.

182 minutes

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, May 03, 2019, 13:46 (1819 days ago) @ Kermit

Are you sure you're not part California Redwood or something? You don't sound like a human being your age.

Yeah, Claude hired actors for his kids and he is actually in his early thirties.

182 minutes

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 03, 2019, 14:15 (1819 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, Claude hired actors for his kids and he is actually in his early thirties.

Shh. I stopped aging a few centuries back, but nobody's supposed to know.

182 minutes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 03, 2019, 14:22 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Shh. I stopped aging a few centuries back, but nobody's supposed to know.

This literally means that the "Louis Wu is old" jokes are way funnier because they are mega hyper true.

182 minutes

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 03, 2019, 14:28 (1819 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He starts a new gaming fan website about once a decade because people start to get wise to his lack of aging.

No

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 17:39 (1820 days ago) @ Cody Miller

... like sex?

(I’ll see myself out)

182 minutes

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, May 01, 2019, 18:16 (1820 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

I'm not even going to try in that case

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 11:31 (1820 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

LOL.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 06, 2019, 17:53 (1815 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

No

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 09:23 (1820 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

... like sex?

(I’ll see myself out)

I never knew you were secretly Sting.

changed time

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 02, 2019, 05:31 (1820 days ago) @ Kermit

I've moved the event to Saturday. I will probably be on between now and then. Feel free to join me if you see me!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread