Death Stranding Trailer (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 13:01 (1792 days ago)

Discuss.

The collector's edition includes a jar baby. Praise Hideo Kojima.
[image]

Bananas.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 13:04 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Death Stranding Trailer

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 13:20 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

This looks interesting. I’ll definitely be playing it. It definitely looks like they’re making good use of the Decima engine.

Surprised this is launching so soon. I wonder if it might end up being a smaller game, as opposed to the sprawling MGS V (which I’d be totally okay with). Or maybe they’ve just been working their asses off to get it made.

Death Stranding Trailer

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 14:04 (1792 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 14:08

This looks interesting. I’ll definitely be playing it. It definitely looks like they’re making good use of the Decima engine.

Surprised this is launching so soon. I wonder if it might end up being a smaller game, as opposed to the sprawling MGS V (which I’d be totally okay with). Or maybe they’ve just been working their asses off to get it made.

It's been in active development for three years (about as long as MGS V was), and they started with a fully-featured game engine, which I imagine saved them a ton of work (though it looks like Koji and Guerilla have been hard at work on the engine since their partnership started in 2015. Notice the Frozen Wilds-esque snow deformation?). So yeah, while most Sony games seem to have a five year dev time, a lot of that is, I imagine, engine work.

While I'd be fine with a smaller-scale game (Lord knows there's enough open-world games in the market), it might be a sprawling world after all. The tool kit (and vehicles) seems to imply a ton of freedom, and the variety of environments also seems to hint at a huge scope. What if it's level-based open world akin to Uncharted 4's latter half, I wonder?

I dunno. I was sold on Kojima's name alone, and while an unhinged and completely-in-charge Kojima is an interesting experiment, I've no doubt at the end of the day that people will be talking about this game for a long time after they're done with it, and I'm stoked to ride on those discussion boards. Plus, the gameplay itself looks hugely promising for MGS V stealth fans.

is this PS exclusive?

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 14:26 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Sony's answer to Crackdown 3, yes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 14:37 (1792 days ago) @ Oholiab

Although starting on June 7, there's going to be some big deals on PS4 stuff during Days of Play, including a PS4 pro for $349.

Next month's PS+ games will be Sonic Mania and The Handsome Jack collection, so now's a good a time as any to grab one. :P

Death Stranding Trailer

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 14:41 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

Discuss.

Seems like I'll be locking myself in that weekend.

Still Keep Reading 'Death STANDING'... -.-

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 15:46 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I feel like someone needs to redefine “trailer” for Kojima.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 15:53 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

It’s a really long trailer that’s confusing as hell. Maybe that’s the point, IDK. Some of it looks cool, but for 9 minutes of my time it didn’t really get me excited about the game. The world sounds cool, but man I don’t get the marketing. lol

I feel like someone needs to redefine “trailer” for Kojima.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 16:29 (1792 days ago) @ breitzen

It’s a really long trailer that’s confusing as hell. Maybe that’s the point, IDK. Some of it looks cool, but for 9 minutes of my time it didn’t really get me excited about the game. The world sounds cool, but man I don’t get the marketing. lol

It got me so hype I almost forgot about how I can’t play Detroit or Cyberpunk due to studio abuse of employees.

Glad it worked for some!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 17:28 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is this how most of his games are marketed?

Glad it worked for some!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 17:34 (1792 days ago) @ breitzen

Many Kojima games have offbeat or strange trailers.

Also remember he managed to hide the fact that Snake was not the main character in MGS2!

Glad it worked for some!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 17:42 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I super unfamiliar with Kojima games (are they just the MGS games?). What’s your favorite?

Glad it worked for some!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 20:55 (1791 days ago) @ breitzen

I super unfamiliar with Kojima games (are they just the MGS games?). What’s your favorite?

Policenauts.

Glad it worked for some!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 17:50 (1792 days ago) @ breitzen

Yeh, they’re always... abstract?
He edited them (US and Japanese) himself, so he’s definitely careful about exactly what he shows.

That said, the premise is fairly clear, your mission will be to establish contact points between the remaining cities in the US. This means it’ll be a road trip adventure with strong themes of connection. It’s definitely as political as he’s ever been, only this time he can go full-on insane with the visual metaphors, as he’s not tied down by Nanomachines™.

Unlike most pretentious directors (Looking at you, Cage), Kojima is a legitimate master of his craft, and as confusing as things are and will no doubt be long after the game is out, they will be discussed and made sense of for months, if not years to come.

Glad it worked for some!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 21:01 (1791 days ago) @ Korny

Unlike most pretentious directors (Looking at you, Cage), Kojima is a legitimate master of his craft, and as confusing as things are and will no doubt be long after the game is out, they will be discussed and made sense of for months, if not years to come.

Yes… and no. His highs are very high… but there is sometimes a lot of bullshit in the way. But it's weird because it's just silly bullshit, not really anything frustrating or off putting. Almost charming in a way.

But there is a substantial amount of sexism still present in his work.

Glad it worked for some!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 21:18 (1791 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Seriously. I don't really have any problems with Kojima's work. But Quiet has to be the dumbest shit I've ever seen in any piece of media ever.

Glad it worked for some!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 00:45 (1791 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes… and no. His highs are very high… but there is sometimes a lot of bullshit in the way. But it's weird because it's just silly bullshit, not really anything frustrating or off putting. Almost charming in a way.

Right, and it is charming in a way that you just have to smile and shake your head. His weird affinity for Raiden, the oddly Japanese trope of hypnosis, and all of the contrived explanations for every minutiae in past and present games? It's all needlessly stupid at times, but it never gets in the way of the great stuff.

Yeah. On the one hand, it's very much a cultural thing. Things that are off-putting to us just don't seem to be for Japanese creators.
On the other hand, Kojima has always been heavily influenced by Western media, and you'd think that somewhere between Snatcher and now, he'd have gone through some personal growth and moved beyond the blatant sexism that pervades every single game he makes in some way (even Zone of the Enders, for crying out loud!).
I've no doubt that they'll have some clever/contrived reason why that woman is called "Fragile" (I mean, it's written on her shirt, it could be played off as a nametag joke), but that won't change the fact that the prominent female has a depreciatory name from the get-go.

And yeah, Cheap mentioned Quiet, but the Beauty and the Beast Unit are far worse offenders, I feel. If you are aware that Kojima wanted them to be fully nude outside of their Beast armor, it just adds to the grossness of how you could exploit psychologically damaged women in skintight suits with a photo camera, getting them to crawl after and pose/dance for you to take photos of them.
But again, if you can ignore that, MGS4 is considered by most to be a masterpiece.

Glad it worked for some!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 08:04 (1791 days ago) @ Korny

I actually long considered MGS4 to be his springtime for hitler… an attempt to make something purposely ridiculous to kill off the franchise but instead it became a huge success.

Nanomachines son.

Some more footage:

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 16:34 (1792 days ago) @ Korny

TL;DR - Allegory: The Game

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 14:33 (1791 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Yes, it’s been clearly stated to be a game by Hideo Kojima.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 15:25 (1791 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Oh? What's Raiden Allegory of in MGS2?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 17:14 (1791 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Oh? What's Raiden Allegory of in MGS2?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 18:53 (1791 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

"I've been to your apartment. Your room is empty. No pictures, no posters, just a bed." - Rose to Raiden in MGS2

The empty room is Raiden: a blank slate. Not sure of who he is. His place in the world. Notice how Raiden tries to be like Snake - he idolizes him. And so the game initially plays like it does with snake. But as Raiden discovers who he is - what's his purpose - what choices he has, the game shifts. In these moments it becomes a ridiculous hack and slash / run and gun (the infamous FISSION MAILED section). He casts aside the charade and no longer tries to be snake. He goes his own way and kills his 'father'.

And like that he realizes what's important: what you pass on to future generations. Not through genetics, but through knowledge. Culture. Morals.

Raiden is literally a postmodern allegory for memes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread