Luna’s Howl has been straight-up murdered (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:08 (1785 days ago)

I’d love to have a serious heart-to-heart chat with whoever designed the Luna’s Howl rework.

They’ve taken one of the coolest, most unique hand cannons in D2 and turned it into an utterly mediocre piece of gear.

I get it... it was strong in PvP. It absolutely was NOT unstoppable. It had a fairly narrow window of peak effective range. Within that window, it was deadly. But get a little too close or a little too far away, and it lost its potency. The ability to 2-tap was a bit too good, even though it almost never happened in practice.

What really made Luna so strong and so popular was how accurate (within its ideal range) and responsive it felt. It felt quick and snappy and agile in a way that no other hand cannon in the game feels. It allowed players to move and think quickly. You could run and jump and turn and slide, and you never felt like you were waiting for your gun’s sights to catch up to you. And when you pulled the trigger, the bullet would actually go where you pointed.

With the move from 180RPM down to 150RPM, that feel is largely gone. It still feels a little better than other 150RPMs, but that really isn’t saying much. They all feel sluggish and sloppy by comparison, and now Luna has been dragged down close to that level.

But the worst part by far is the change to the Magnificent Howl perk. This perk is what allowed the original 180RPM Luna to 3-shot kill, if you landed 3 quick headshots without missing.

The original perk let Luna fill important PvP rolls. A good player could catch shotgun-rushers as they tried to close in. It also made Luna one of the best last-ditch options to shut down an enemy super. And in PvE, it made Luna wonderfully effective against majors and bosses. It wouldn’t compete with special or heavy weapons, but if you got stuck fighting yellow bars and you only had primary ammo, you could still dish out some damage.

The new Magnificent Howl perk is utterly useless. I can’t imagine a scenario where it would ever make a meaningful difference.

This kind of thing just makes me sad. Luna was literally the only hand cannon I really enjoyed using in D2, because HCs overall just feel crappy in D2 (compared to how they felt in D1). I get that some people felt that it was a little too effective in PvP... I’d argue otherwise, but even so. We can see what happens when the bloom and initial accuracy mechanics are toned down by looking at D2 on PC; Luna doesn’t even crack the top-5 weapons in crucible, because it is no longer the only hand cannon that actually hits what you point it at. Heck, I’d be perfectly happy if they just gave Luna out to every player. Instead, Bungie has taken one of the coolest, most fun, and most challenging to acquire weapons in the game, and made it completely average and forgettable.

Not cool, bro.

ps

I’m really enjoying the new content so far. Had a great time playing yesterday. Stuff like this just really bums me out, because I put crazy amounts of time into acquiring cool weapons like Luna’s so that I can take them into new content and have fun with it. So nerfs like this have the effect of making me care less and less about chasing down cool weapons in the future. There’s a real “enjoy it while it lasts” feeling around weapons like Mountaintop, Recluse, or Outbreak... anything cool and effective and powerful. I don’t want to play a game like Destiny if every weapon is equally mediocre. We already played that game. It was vanilla D2, and it got stale real fast. I’m hoping that Bungie realizes they went too far with the Luna nerf. Even if it never gets restored to its former glory, I’d hate to see this same design attitude applied to any more weapons going forward.

Luna’s Howl has been straight-up murdered

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:22 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't play competitive that often, or even PvP for that matter. I also don't consider myself a terrible PvP player, but nothing is more annoying than rounding a corner and getting two tapped and dying before I can even respond. It brought be back to the days of D1 sniper fest where you couldn't contest. Yeah, I'm sure it takes skill, but it also kills the game for others.

I totally think it deserved a nerf, I'm honestly sorry it got nerfed the way it did. And maybe I would feel differently if I had it, but being on the receiving end as much and as often as I have without having a fighting chance just felt bad. I hope they make it more fun for you in the future.

P.S.
I'm not trying to say that your experience is wrong by any means, I'm just putting up another experience on the other side.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:27 (1785 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I don't play competitive that often, or even PvP for that matter. I also don't consider myself a terrible PvP player, but nothing is more annoying than rounding a corner and getting two tapped and dying before I can even respond. It brought be back to the days of D1 sniper fest where you couldn't contest. Yeah, I'm sure it takes skill, but it also kills the game for others.

I totally think it deserved a nerf, I'm honestly sorry it got nerfed the way it did. And maybe I would feel differently if I had it, but being on the receiving end as much and as often as I have without having a fighting chance just felt bad. I hope they make it more fun for you in the future.

P.S.
I'm not trying to say that your experience is wrong by any means, I'm just putting up another experience on the other side.

I’m totally in favour of getting rid of the 2-taps. That was too strong. But just to add some more perspective, 2-taps are exceedingly rare. I’ve got somewhere close to ~6000 crucible kills with Luna’s Howl, and I doubt I’ve 2-tapped anyone more than 5 times. It’s like the old Hawkmoon 1-shot days. It was crazy when it happened, in no small part because the chances were so freaking low.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:52 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

P.S.

I’m totally in favour of getting rid of the 2-taps. That was too strong. But just to add some more perspective, 2-taps are exceedingly rare. I’ve got somewhere close to ~6000 crucible kills with Luna’s Howl, and I doubt I’ve 2-tapped anyone more than 5 times. It’s like the old Hawkmoon 1-shot days. It was crazy when it happened, in no small part because the chances were so freaking low.

I actually used that as an extreme example, but meant to add that the gun still demolished people. I felt like my only chance to combat it was with a scout rifle and there are very few maps I can do that on.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:08 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But guess what? Even if a one shot kill from Hawkmoon was super rare, it was eventually removed. Because when it happens to you it feels like bullshit.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:10 (1785 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But guess what? Even if a one shot kill from Hawkmoon was super rare, it was eventually removed. Because when it happens to you it feels like bullshit.

Sure. As I said, the 2-shot Luna kills needed to be nerfed out of existence. My point is just that in practice, they’re exceedingly rare, and don’t justify nuking the weapon into the ground. A tiny tweak would have done the job.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:54 (1785 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, but even after the nerf, Hawkmoon still felt like Hawkmoon. They literally just turned Luna’s Howl into an entirely different gun.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:57 (1785 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They should’ve just made the two crits cause a debuff on the target player unique to them that let a third round do bonus damage. And keep the window for success small to only reward a lack of mistakes in 1v1.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 14:08 (1785 days ago) @ Harmanimus

They should’ve just made the two crits cause a debuff on the target player unique to them that let a third round do bonus damage. And keep the window for success small to only reward a lack of mistakes in 1v1.

Something like that would have been great. It would have sanded off the rough edge in the crucible, without ruining the gun’s general strength. Plus, it would have retained what made in special in PvE.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:32 (1785 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

P.S.

I don't have Luna's (though it's a good bet I'll earn it this season). I definitely die to it in Crucible... but I agree with Cruel, it's not unbeatable. (I win a significant chunk - maybe less than half, but not much less - of 1v1s where they haven't already proc'd Magnificent Howl with my combination of Blast Furnace and Jotunn. (Even when I don't win, Jotunn can often give me a trade instead of a direct loss.)) I feel like it's (it WAS) a pinnacle weapon... and as such, SHOULD be better than what it's facing, at least somewhat... otherwise, what's the point of a pinnacle weapon quest in the first place? (That's a different argument; if you think that the rich shouldn't get richer, and there's definitely an argument to be made there, then don't provide a pinnacle weapon quest for PvP at all. Why let people who are good enough to successfully complete the challenge of the quest have something that puts them even FURTHER in front?)

If you accept the idea of a pinnacle weapon to strive towards, though (and I do), it seems unreasonable (to me) to make that weapon no better than the stuff you can earn through RNG.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:06 (1785 days ago) @ Claude Errera

P.S.

I don't have Luna's (though it's a good bet I'll earn it this season). I definitely die to it in Crucible... but I agree with Cruel, it's not unbeatable. (I win a significant chunk - maybe less than half, but not much less - of 1v1s where they haven't already proc'd Magnificent Howl with my combination of Blast Furnace and Jotunn. (Even when I don't win, Jotunn can often give me a trade instead of a direct loss.)) I feel like it's (it WAS) a pinnacle weapon... and as such, SHOULD be better than what it's facing, at least somewhat... otherwise, what's the point of a pinnacle weapon quest in the first place? (That's a different argument; if you think that the rich shouldn't get richer, and there's definitely an argument to be made there, then don't provide a pinnacle weapon quest for PvP at all. Why let people who are good enough to successfully complete the challenge of the quest have something that puts them even FURTHER in front?)

If you accept the idea of a pinnacle weapon to strive towards, though (and I do), it seems unreasonable (to me) to make that weapon no better than the stuff you can earn through RNG.

I think Luna gets a disproportionate amount of hate, relative to its strength. But I think there’s also a good reason for it.

As I described before, Luna is very strong within a specific range window. But it isn’t uniquely strong within that window. Service Revolver, Trust, Bygones, Claws of the Wolf... there are many guns that can be extremely effective in that specific window. Luna’s is one of the best guns at that range, but not by much.

Now let’s look at Blast Furnace. It is CRAZY overpowered compared to other weapons within its ideal range window. I’ll cross-map players on Equinox in 2-bursts while they’re struggling to land a shot on me with their Jade Rabbit. It’s almost comically better at long range than any other primary.

On the flip side, there are guns like Recluse. At close range, Recluse will absolutely MELT anything. I played a game yesterday where I made the mistake of getting too close to a Recluse user. He killed me (triggering the Master of Arms perk in the process). And then I got to watch 3 of my teammates rush him 1 at a time. He burned through all 3 of them before they could pop his shields (while I tried not to scream at them for taking turns instead of pushing him TOGETHER, lol). At its ideal range, no primary weapon comes close to matching Recluse.

But here’s the thing. Luna’s ideal range seems to line up perfectly with the average range of most encounters in D2 crucible. There’s surprisingly little variety in the ranges of common encounters, due to the way D2 maps are generally designed. So when you have a gun that is a tiny bit stronger than most at that specific range, EVERYONE starts using it (if they have it). Which makes people think that it must be crazy overpowered, because “why else would everyone use it”. Meanwhile, we have guns that truly are drastically overpowered, but at such niche ranges that it hardly ever comes up.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:40 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It’s the Battle Rifle problem. It is a problem Bungie has been wrestling with for so long. If you get one weapon/weapon class that is effective in too broad of circumstances the meta will lean that way. Destiny has more capability to mix that up due to being a live game, but without more substantial balance shifts we start seeing a one-gun-game. Or I guess a one-loadout-game. Dust Rock/LH-NF/Wardcliff is such a common loadout because it covers down on so many things in large part because of the efficiency of LH-NF.

While I definitely think they went too far and I really appreciate you bringing up map design as it is a key factor in all this, I definitely think it needed a substantial adjustment. And this is coming from someone on PC where it is less common. But the whole sandbox is in meed of substantial adjustment right now.

The Last Word remains the same. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:31 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But, yes. The changes to Luna’s Howl did sound too extreme back when they were announced. I’m sorry for you loss. Truly.

Lol... Touché

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:14 (1785 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 12:56 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I didn’t ever get a chance to use it in Crucible, but I’d have put my Rapid Hit, Range Masterwork Trust against a Luna’s any day of the week. I beat Luna’s with that gun as many times as I lost, at least. Luna’s wasn’t that OP, as far as I can see.

I used it a bit last night for the Nessus gunsmith bounty. It feels amazing compared to any other 150 hand cannon because it retained its old animation. But I’ll never use it over Trust or Service Revolver now.

Recluse is still awesome. I think it’s my favorite gun to have ever been in Destiny. It’s just damn fun.

Try a Duke

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:32 (1785 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The Duke Mk. 44 is way underrated. The 110 handcannons hit hard and are really good for cleanup. I like to pair it with a Tempered Dynamo (backup plan).

I will miss my Chaperone/Luna's loadout though.

Try a Duke

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:41 (1785 days ago) @ squidnh3

The Duke Mk. 44 is way underrated. The 110 handcannons hit hard and are really good for cleanup. I like to pair it with a Tempered Dynamo (backup plan).

I will miss my Chaperone/Luna's loadout though.

Yeah, I’ve got a Kill Clip/Rangefinder Duke that works pretty well. It doesn’t really suit my play style by itself, but I liked using it with Le Monarque and getting those quick-swap kills.

I’d rather lose an arm.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 13:56 (1785 days ago) @ squidnh3

(:

A theory

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 07:53 (1784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The above thread indicates Bungie's balance changes are working as intended.

I don't think Bungie nerfs just to affect the game's actual balance, but also to affect it's perceived balance, as well as to try and enforce a certain minimum amount of variety in loadouts people use.

If someone tomorrow starts a rumor that Weapon Z is ridiculously overpowered, and as a result everyone uses it, this is a situation that requires response even if the gun is actually not particularly good.

Ideally, in a transparent marketplace, this problem would quickly be solved-- people would realize the gun is not that good and stop using it.

But the marketplace isn't completely transparent, as people keep pointing out that it is complicated to figure out how the public stats and perks interact with each other and produce unexpected in-game results.

So you've got a favorite gun with a rep for being overpowerd.

It gets nerfed.

Some people stop using it because they find out it got nerfed.

Some people stop using it because they realize it's been nerfed.

Some people would rather lose an arm.

Mission accomplished.

Try a Duke

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 10:04 (1784 days ago) @ squidnh3

This is only acceptable as a substitute if this is your Duke:

[image]

and you are using it to control this:

[image]

this made me chuckle

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 13:24 (1784 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Try a Duke

by squidnh3, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 15:35 (1784 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

My hands never worked on the first thing, but they did on the second! (I do always end up loving the handcannon most like the M6D. Red Hand IX, Finalla's Peril, nothing in D2Y1, and now the Duke Mk. 44).

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 07:52 (1784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven't played with it yet, but I was watching a video where a guy broke it down. And it actually has a lower common kill time. Yes the 3 headshot tap is slower, but like .17 seconds, but the average is lower actually. The bullet magnetism is still VERY strong too, actually strong at some ranges.

Again this is based on 1 guys video analysis not me playing it. But to be honest, I hated going against it, cause the ONLY counter was using it against them. That's never a fun meta in my opinion. I like the changes on paper, but to each their own.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 08:37 (1784 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I haven't played with it yet, but I was watching a video where a guy broke it down. And it actually has a lower common kill time. Yes the 3 headshot tap is slower, but like .17 seconds, but the average is lower actually. The bullet magnetism is still VERY strong too, actually strong at some ranges.

Again this is based on 1 guys video analysis not me playing it. But to be honest, I hated going against it, cause the ONLY counter was using it against them. That's never a fun meta in my opinion. I like the changes on paper, but to each their own.

Yeah, I think I watched the same video. He does a great job of covering all the minor changes. Interestingly, the gun has slightly less effective range than it used to, but more magnetism.

The point that he never quite comes to (probably because it is less black and white than the stats he was measuring) is that having a slower rate of fire on a hand cannon with so little range means that you now lose against shotgun and SMG rushers in many situations where the old Luna's had a chance of winning. The "faster common kill time stat", while accurate, is a bit misleading. If I'm using Luna's Howl "properly" (that is, I'm aiming well and hitting my headshots), I'm getting a 3-shot kill. Anything more than that means I screwed up or got outplayed. And a 3-shot kill is now slower than it used to be. As you point out, it isn't a huge difference in time, but when I'm dealing with a shotgun ape, that time is critical.

The only other thing I'd push back on is your comment that "the ONLY counter was using it against them". I'd modify that statement a bit. I think if you have 2 equally skilled teams facing off, 1 team all using Luna's Howl, and the other team without Luna's, and they're forced to fight in mid-range engagements, the team with Lunas will probably win. But some of the best crucible matches I've had in D2 were games where I went in with Le Monarque against a squad of Lunas and Not Forgottens, and I kept my distance and picked them off before they could get close. Again, it's one of those things where going up against it means adjusting your playstyle. But that's true of lots of weapons. Going against snipers is the same, or Jotuns, or shotgun rushers. Luna's Howl was similar, in my experience.

Le Monarque

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 09:05 (1784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m eager to try this in Crucible. I like bows a lot, but I’m just not good enough to really make use of them in Crucible.

But playing Gambit last night made me want to give it a shot. Le Monarque is incredibly good at shutting down Invaders. I was having a blast with it last night.

Le Monarque

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 09:13 (1784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m eager to try this in Crucible. I like bows a lot, but I’m just not good enough to really make use of them in Crucible.

But playing Gambit last night made me want to give it a shot. Le Monarque is incredibly good at shutting down Invaders. I was having a blast with it last night.

I love it so much :)

It's a touch slower than I'm used to (my go-to bow for Crucible is usually an Arsenic Bite with Archer's Tempo, rampage, and a draw-time masterwork... ie SUPER SPEED lol), but Monarch hits hard, has great targeting, and the Damage over time is very effective at crowd control and forcing enemy players to back off. I have a lot of fun with it.

Run it with Oathkeeper

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 10:18 (1784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Run it with Oathkeeper

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 10:33 (1784 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Is that really that effective, though? You only get the poison on a perfect release, right?

Run it with Oathkeeper

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 11:12 (1784 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oathkeeper lets you hold “perfect” forever.

Run it with Oathkeeper

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 12:42 (1784 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Oathkeeper lets you hold “perfect” forever.

I would not have assumed that. Thanks, that's a game-changer. Real shame I'm doing Gambit on my Titan, because I still don't have Malfeasance and she's the only one with the quest.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 13:00 (1784 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Does this apply to not forgotten as well?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 06, 2019, 13:45 (1784 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Does this apply to not forgotten as well?

Yes

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread