14 minutes of Jedi: Fallen Order. Looks kinda disappointing. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 08, 2019, 18:13 (1755 days ago)

It looks pretty bland. I certainly trust Respawn to make a good game, but this didn't excite me the way I expected. It's Uncharted with a lightsaber. Which, don't get me wrong, that sounds great on paper, but it didn't really look all that compelling.

I hope it shapes up to better than this video showed.

14 minutes of Jedi: Fallen Order. Looks kinda disappointing.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 08, 2019, 19:43 (1755 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It looks pretty bland. I certainly trust Respawn to make a good game, but this didn't excite me the way I expected. It's Uncharted with a lightsaber. Which, don't get me wrong, that sounds great on paper, but it didn't really look all that compelling.

I hope it shapes up to better than this video showed.

It looks... slow. Slow in a way that I would absolutely not expect from Respawn. I still like the looks of it, and I'm enough of a Star Wars fan that I'll definitely buy it. But what I see in this video is the kind of game that any AAA studio could make. It doesn't have any of the unique spark that I see in a game like Titanfall.

14 minutes of Jedi: Fallen Order. Looks kinda disappointing.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 08, 2019, 21:20 (1755 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You nailed it.

After the wall running and grappling hooks of Titanfall, seeing the standard "this wall has a special texture so you can climb on it!" is a huge disappointment.

This looks like it will be a well-made game, and, like you, my love of Star Wars will ensure I buy this game. It's release date means I'll likely wait until after Death Stranding, though.

I really just hope this was a particularly poor showing and the game is more than it appears in this demo.

Looks like a Respawn version of The Force Unleashed to me

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 10:10 (1755 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Which isn’t really a bad thing. Though the enemies in this demo did seem to just stand around and wait for you to kill them. Here’s hoping that was just the demo being played on easy or something. It sounds like they want to give you a diverse set of tools to keep combat interesting, but without decently interesting enemies to fight it might get boring.

Looks like a Respawn version of The Force Unleashed to me

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 18:58 (1754 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Which isn’t really a bad thing. Though the enemies in this demo did seem to just stand around and wait for you to kill them.

Yeah, that bugs me about AI in Star Wars games in general (outside of Relublic Commando). They tend to just stand there. I expected better from Respawn: AI can’t just stand there and let you pin ‘em down, they need to move!
Maybe they want you to be able to deflect shots at them consistently, and watching those painfully slow blaster rounds curve in the air would be immersion breaking, but you can’t just dumb down your AI to support the power fantasy...

Here’s hoping that was just the demo being played on easy or something. It sounds like they want to give you a diverse set of tools to keep combat interesting, but without decently interesting enemies to fight it might get boring.

I don’t think it’s just an issue with AI, though. The level design was very boring and hand-holdingly linear. The interactables were obvious and arbitrary (push this obvious pipe to make a bridge! Slow this platform-shaped spinny thing to walk across! Climb this one specific conveniently-placed patch of vines!), and really only had one approach to encounters. Combine that with stiff animations, by the numbers dialogue, and just a slow pace in general, and I wouldn’t believe it was a Respawn game if I hadn’t known already.

Ah well, at least we have Titanfall 3 to look forward to!

Ya'll Crazy.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 09, 2019, 12:26 (1755 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Or...wait, Am I the Crazy one? It's getting really hard to tell now adays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I digress.

For an E3 Demo, I liked what I saw. Granted, the drought of proper Star Wars Games probably has me parched for any sort of glow stick waving, psychic physic imposing, story based call to action that Star Wars games like to provide.

Seems like a open space linear fighting game to me. Look forward to getting more information.

Jedi: Fallen Order. Sounds cool actually!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 14, 2019, 09:06 (1750 days ago) @ cheapLEY

After reading and listening to a bunch of E3 coverage, basically everyone who played Jedi: The Fallen Order came away confused why they showed what they did. They all say the actual game is much different than what was presented.

Dark Souls meets Metroid was thrown around a lot. There is a bonfire mechanic. The combat sounds very Sekiro-like. Breaking enemies’ stamina for death blows. You have a ship and can fly around to different planets. New abilities will allow you to open new areas, with backtracking to different planets for missions or just to explore.

It sounds really cool. I hope we see the demo they showed journalists at the show.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread