June 2019 Fourm Status Check | Destiny 2: The Game (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 18:05 (1774 days ago)

I've noticed that this forum has thinned the frequency of threads filled frustration and theory towards Destiny 2. This is GOOD! Yet, I find myself wondering all the same. As the game is now and to the potential it has to be; What are your own individual thoughts and feelings on Destiny 2: The Game as we warm into Season 7?

[b]Pros:[/b]
[list]
[*]-
[*]-
[*]-
[/list]
[b]Cons:[/b]
[list]
[*]-
[*]-
[*]-
[/list]
[b]Would [i]Love[/i] To See:[/b]
[list]
[*]-
[*]-
[*]-
[/list]
[b]Summary (TL;DR):[/b]

Thank you. :)

June 2019 Fourm Status Check | Destiny 2: The Game

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 18:12 (1774 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Pros:

• - Good Game Feel
  • - Raids

Cons:

• - Going harder towards MMO
  • - Focus on lore over story
  • - Free to play
  • - grind
  • - power level

Would Love To See:

• - Good Story
  • - No grind / repetitious game loop
  • - No power level

Summary (TL;DR):

MMO is shit so I quit.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 19:07 (1774 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm going to slightly repurpose your list as a SWOT analysis. This is from my POV as a "committed casual" player.

Strengths:

• Bungie is able to make the game THEY want without outside interference mucking up the artistic vision.
  • The game feels good. Only considering gameplay, it's spoiled me for other FPS games.
  • It still seems to be the standard for this style of game, since we still hear about games being the next "Destiny Killer"
  • A fantastic story that has plenty of content to be expanded on.
  • They seem to be offering more content that can appease a wider audience, not just the no-life sweaty streamer drones.

Weaknesses:

• Bungie has to make the game WE want without outside interference mucking up our expectation.
  • Fractured player base that has walked away because of year one, they may never come back.
  • That fantastic story is difficult to follow being buried in lore, triumphs and equipment descriptions. I play video games because I've never cared too much for reading. Show me the story, don't make me do homework.
  • Recent track record of glitches, blatant errors, poor planning and nerfs have left a sour taste in players mouths
  • Still a lot that needs to be reworked concerning player personality/pleasure aspects. Shader system, armor, Eververse, weapon/armor upgrade system are all garbage IMO. Since day 1, I've hated how my guardian looks and behaves. My most effective loadout consist of year one weapons because they are masterworked.

Opportunities:

• Bungie can finally build their own legacy without the support of an outside party.
  • Recent announcements for cross platform saves. Potential for cross platform play would be awesome! Can you imagine a PS vs Xbox faction style event!?
  • No more exclusive content. An xbox player base that has felt alienated for the past 6 years can reconnect with the developer that focused solely on them almost 20 years ago.
  • It seems recent announcements have received positive feedback and general excitement for year 3.

Threats:

• Bungie could potentially die without the support of an outside party if they crap the bed.
  • New consoles being announced. Can Destiny 2 maintain velocity on this generation if they have started laying groundwork that could potentially extend 3-5 years? Are/will they develop a D3 for next gen consoles?
  • Streamers and "game-du-jour" culture. The internet is a fickle place and it only takes that one popular streamer to grow tired of your game and all the followers take suit. Ignorance and hatred expands rampantly online. Bungie seems to value streamers, reddit and their input heavily.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 13:52 (1772 days ago) @ ManKitten

They kinda addressed the next generation question when they had the interview with Keighley at E3. Noseworthy seemed to be saying they think the work the put in for PC will mean the Destiny 2 engine can scale up to the higher processing power of next generation consoles. From what I know the next consoles will be an increase in power, but not really much of a change in terms of architecture, so I suppose that makes sense to me.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 20:59 (1774 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Pros:

• Destiny is still the best game ever made for hanging out with friends online, in my book.
  • Wide variety of cool activities to tackle, depending on mood. Cruel, Squid, and I played Comp for about an hour tonight, and it was a blast. I logged on to start the Truth quest, with no intention of doing anything else, but Destiny is a game filled with cool stuff to do with friends, and that's awesome.
  • The meta is in a great place, in my opinion. PvP feels really great, and I still see tons of weapon variety now. For the first time in a long time, there are a bunch of guns in Destiny that I absolutely love using, and I'm switching up my weapons all the time, which is great.
  • The story and lore of Destiny finally feels important in a good way. Season of the Drifter was cool in the way it brought that stuff to the forefront, even without a real campaign with lots of cutscenes. I'm of the mind that stuff like visiting Mara and the Drifter quest stuff last season has all been far more interesting and satisfying than any of the campaign stories with cutscenes in Destiny, so I'm honestly pretty okay with that as a delivery method.
  • The new season started with a quest to instantly boost players to appropriate level, which is a good step in the right direction for allowing people to get back in easily.

Cons:

• Even with the power boost, the grind still sucks. You can start in a better place now, but I'm not happy to have to repeat that climb every three months, especially in a system where the target feels like its always moving and powerful drops never feel consistently powerful. It's just a stupidly designed system in my opinion.
  • Oddly, the Shadowkeep stuff has made me less excited to engage with this season. With all the big improvements coming in the fall, it feels like a "why bother?" sort of thing now. That's also a Pro, I guess, because I'm not chasing anything (besides Hush!) and just playing what I want for fun. The Menagerie and Chalice are cool, and I look forward to upgrading the Chalice for some more drops, but there's nothing there that I absolutely feel like I must have and grind for.

Would Love To See:

• Cross-play would be amazing.
  • Complete rework of the leveling system. Removing power level would be amazing, but I know that won't happen, so I'd really love to see it reworked to be more forgiving and less of a chore to grind power. Let Legendary Engrams all be +1 to your average, and let the current Powerful drops be +5 to average, or guaranteed +5 to whichever slot it drops for. That way you can power up simply by playing again, like it was in D1.
  • Relate to the above, I'd love to see a way to let players take longer breaks from the game and jump back in easily when they've fallen behind, through some sort of catch-up mechanic.
  • I'm really happy with the story direction lately, but I'd love to seem them really dig into that some more.
  • Just something new. Destiny feels like a very known quantity right now, and I'm waiting for the next big thing to shake it up and make it feel really fresh again.

TL;DR: Destiny is a really cool fun game to play with friends that still has it's share of annoyances. It's still not in a place where you can come back after a long break and get a compelling experience without having to spend a bunch of time grinding power. But if you play enough to stay relevant, there's always something fun to do. The story is in a cool place right now with lots of potential, and I really hope they find a way to execute on something amazing in that regard. I'm hoping for them to introduce something big that changes up the routine of current Destiny.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 13:54 (1772 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I also don't like the level grind, but with the level ups bounty system, I wonder of a bunch of people will just perpetually lag one season behind (or at least a couple f the guardians will?) I was going to say that was my plan, but my main is already seeing 730 drops, so I guess not.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 14:12 (1772 days ago) @ Vortech

I also don't like the level grind, but with the level ups bounty system, I wonder of a bunch of people will just perpetually lag one season behind (or at least a couple f the guardians will?) I was going to say that was my plan, but my main is already seeing 730 drops, so I guess not.

I dislike the power grind as much as anyone, but the silver lining these days is that with each new expansion or season there are even more sources of powerful drops. Last week I played exclusively on my Warlock for 5 days in a row, and I still had powerful rewards available to me... plenty, actually.

I got my Warlock up to ~725, then switched to my Titan and on Sunday and used the powerful weapons I'd gotten on my Warlock to slingshot my Titan up to 740 by the end of the day on Tuesday. I should stress that aside from prepping my Warlock in the week before SoO dropped by getting some bounties completed and ready to turn in, I didn't play with a strict focus on leveling up. I tried to hit as many powerful drops as I reasonably could over the course of the week, but I was by no means "min/maxing" the drops.

So while I'm still not in favor of the grind, it really isn't the hurdle that it used to be. I don't typically try to run the raid until a couple weeks after it has launched. By then, I'll probably have at least 1 character at 750... possibly all of them.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 05:17 (1774 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I've noticed that this forum has thinned the frequency of threads filled frustration and theory towards Destiny 2. This is GOOD! Yet, I find myself wondering all the same. As the game is now and to the potential it has to be; What are your own individual thoughts and feelings on Destiny 2: The Game as we warm into Season 7?

I don't think I ever bitched that much, and I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but it's possible it's decreased because people have just up and bounced. I did. I check in and vaguely follow what's happening, but I haven't played in months. The game got grindy, I felt my time wasn't valued or respected, so I left and dipped into the other things I wanted to play. Not seeing a reason to come back with a new season.

I know.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 10:49 (1773 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, June 17, 2019, 11:29 (1768 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Pros:

• I'm guessing it's because I was so late in purchasing Forsaken, but there's such a large increase in things to do, in both solo and group activities. It has been exciting exploring new places and revisiting old enigmatic lost sectors.
  • We seem to be getting more chances at important items like enhancement cores and legendary shards.
  • While I'm not crazy about them bringing D1 guns back, at least the quest is usually accessible to all.

Cons:

• While I don't mind more to do, there are far FAR too many things hugely dependent upon time, both in terms of the reset, and literally. I find myself signing into D2 every day now, terrified that I forgot something and will have to wait a full month before the opportunity to try it again. Let's not forget the seasonal stuff which expires after a certain time and locks away forever. I can't imagine how completionists and hoarders feel.
  • Bungie still hasn't come up with an incentive to completing a Heroic Public Event. Which means when there's a bounty for it, people who are trying to trigger it are cut short by trolls who just aim to finish or fail it as soon as possible.
  • Every time they "fix" the pause and director screens, they take even longer and even longer and even longer to load. In fact, EVERYTHING takes longer to load.

Would Love To See:

• I would love to see my second most beloved video game creative studio stop being this stupid.
  • I'd love to see less circumstantial time-based quests and objectives like the Shattered Forest.
  • Finally, I'd love to see the creators of the Zero Hour missions tarred and feathered!

Summary (TL;DR):Destiny 2—Now literally more work than exercising(which is what I heavily need).

Y’Know What ELSE I’d Love...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 20:36 (1767 days ago) @ Morpheus

Thought of it this afternoon: How nice would it be if every once in a while, you open a chest and it fills your ammo to the top?

Just occasionally a chest opens with glimmer, planetary material and a full recharge of heavy or special ammo. I think that would be a good incentive for treasure hunting, no?

Y’Know What ELSE I’d Love...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 11:22 (1766 days ago) @ Morpheus

Thought of it this afternoon: How nice would it be if every once in a while, you open a chest and it fills your ammo to the top?

Just occasionally a chest opens with glimmer, planetary material and a full recharge of heavy or special ammo. I think that would be a good incentive for treasure hunting, no?

That honestly just sounds like a good guarantee for a chest drop. Some are just so damn disappointing only getting a hundred or so Glimmer and a small handful of planet material.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 17, 2019, 15:31 (1768 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Pros:

• Gorgeous new jumpships. Transpose JT-24-X is the best in the series now and forever.
  • Everything feels so substantial.
  • The game’s economy is pretty clear cut and I’ve never once been confused about what exactly I’ll need to craft, infuse, etc.

Cons:

• Our Guardian still can’t talk?
  • We still can’t fly our jumpships?
  • Jade Rabbit should already be in my inventory.

Summary (TL;DR): I’m thoroughly impressed with the labor of love that Destiny 2’s become. Glad to be back onboard for the coming year as Bungie exerts it’s new independence with Shadowkeep.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 07:20 (1767 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Waypoints

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, June 20, 2019, 10:53 (1765 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

That's all. I think it would be really handy if we could set our own waypoints.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread