Undocumented change in latest update is proving annoying (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 12:52 (1723 days ago)

So there's at least one undocumented update in the patch that went live earlier this week, and I'm finding that I don't like it at all.

Previously, if you had a bounty that you finished in Crucible, it showed as complete onscreen at the time you finished it; Kill the last guy who killed you, the Payback bounty completes, and a small notification appears in the mid-right of your screen.

Post-patch, that notification does not appear until the game's over.

Now I have no confirmation that those 5 solar final blows are finished until the game is over; should I have been more aggressive trying to grab heavy ammo so that I could get more rocket kills, or did I finish the bounty and can therefore leave the heavy for someone else? I have no idea. :(

The ONLY reason I can think of that they might have made this change is to keep distractions off the screen while you're playing... but it's a pretty minor notification, if I'm not specifically looking for it, I usually don't even notice it.

Is there something else I might be leaving out? Or is this just like a mosquito - something that's net negative, overall?

Undocumented change in latest update is proving annoying

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, July 11, 2019, 13:32 (1723 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So there's at least one undocumented update in the patch that went live earlier this week, and I'm finding that I don't like it at all.

Previously, if you had a bounty that you finished in Crucible, it showed as complete onscreen at the time you finished it; Kill the last guy who killed you, the Payback bounty completes, and a small notification appears in the mid-right of your screen.

Now I have no confirmation that those 5 solar final blows are finished until the game is over; should I have been more aggressive trying to grab heavy ammo so that I could get more rocket kills, or did I finish the bounty and can therefore leave the heavy for someone else? I have no idea. :(

The ONLY reason I can think of that they might have made this change is to keep distractions off the screen while you're playing... but it's a pretty minor notification, if I'm not specifically looking for it, I usually don't even notice it.

Is there something else I might be leaving out? Or is this just like a mosquito - something that's net negative, overall?

Are you sure it's a feature and not a glitch?
Did you try unplugging and plugging back in?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2019, 11:24 (1722 days ago) @ ManKitten

Are you sure it's a feature and not a glitch?
Did you try unplugging and plugging back in?

I think he's holding it wrong

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 13:33 (1723 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The ONLY reason I can think of that they might have made this change is to keep distractions off the screen while you're playing...

BRIGHT ENGRAM EARNED

It’s not just crucible bounties

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 13:55 (1723 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Some kind of lag has been introduced around the completion of bounties in general. Several times this week, while working on various bounties, I’ve opened my pursuits to check my progress on a bounty I’m working on, only to find the bounty is no longer shown. Then, 10-15 seconds later, it’ll suddenly pop-up on my screen, showing as “completed”.

It’s not just crucible bounties

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 15:48 (1723 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They changed the behavior of the pursuits tab to be based on recent activity by default. I would imagine these are both side effects of that. I can appreciate that it is annoying (I hadn’t keyed in on it but instead had felt I just missed some notifications) but at the moment not having to page over to get to anything recent is useful.

lololol

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 12, 2019, 09:13 (1722 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

According to reddit, it's loading in general that's been affected; here's why you really should get an SSD at this point:

https://giant.gfycat.com/ConfusedTanFlyinglemur.mp4

lololol

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 12, 2019, 09:26 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

According to reddit, it's loading in general that's been affected; here's why you really should get an SSD at this point:

This is actually good news for me. I've two issues since the patch where I hit a loading threshold and it never loads (have to quit D2 to fix it). I was worried my XB1 HDD was dying, it's good news that it's a bug.

That looks familiar.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, July 12, 2019, 09:41 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Skip to the last 10 seconds.

Here’s another good one that came up yesterday

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 12, 2019, 09:52 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - I got mine from the comment thread of that one

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 12, 2019, 10:10 (1722 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

LOL! He must've heard the tea kettle.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 12, 2019, 10:57 (1722 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

lololol

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2019, 11:17 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I dunno… when 99% of the consoles you are programming for have a spinning disk, you should make it work with that.

lololol

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 12, 2019, 13:22 (1722 days ago) @ Cody Miller

10 Check_For_Speed
20 if (too_slow) load_faster
30 goto 10

*legacy code review war flashbacks*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, July 12, 2019, 13:25 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

lmao same

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, July 12, 2019, 14:27 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Believe me, I've been feeling it.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 12, 2019, 14:46 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Is that like, a personal attack or something?

If I'm not trapped in midair on the stairs, that's often what I run into (and off of, as it were).

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2019, 11:24 (1722 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Maybe they don't want people dropping out of multiplayer matches when their bounties are done?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2019, 11:46 (1722 days ago) @ narcogen

Maybe they don't want people dropping out of multiplayer matches when their bounties are done?

So instead they want people to play like idiots the ENTIRE match?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2019, 11:53 (1722 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So instead they want people to play like idiots the ENTIRE match?

Would that represent a change?

If a player takes LONGER to complete the bounty, then they'll be playing that way until they finish it, no matter how long it takes.

That means paying attention to bounty objectives and ignoring game type objectives. Just like it has since they introduced these things.

If you're going to drag me into PVP to get a piece of gear I want to use in PVE, you're only getting as much PVP involvement from me as is required, I'm sorry. I try to play the objective more than average, but still. These things ruin play, but so to disconnections.

So ideally you'd not have these in the game at all, but if you've got to have them, you want people to at least complete a match playing like a jerk rather than play like a jerk and log off. IMHO.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2019, 12:00 (1722 days ago) @ narcogen

So ideally you'd not have these in the game at all, but if you've got to have them, you want people to at least complete a match playing like a jerk rather than play like a jerk and log off. IMHO.

You are right that PvP bounties are a bad idea.

But I would rather they leave after completing the bounty. You can autojoin someone into the game to replace them who hopefully is not going for bounties and is trying to win, versus having the person try to complete the bounty the entire match.

FYI, this bug utterly breaks Reckoning

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 13, 2019, 21:34 (1720 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As if Reckoning weren’t bad enough already, lol.

Tonight, I decided to grind some Tier 3 Reckoning in the hopes of completing a Notorious Hunter set. I had the Gambit portion of the weekly bounty done, so 4 Reckoning completions would get me the helmet, plus whatever other drops I got along the way.

My experience tonight included the following:

• Matching into 3-4 instances before finally loading into a game with a complete team (this repeated each time I re-queued into matchmaking)

• Getting killed by the portal in the Drifter’s ship(?!?)

• Not once marching with a blueberry who understood the idea of waiting for all players to load in before jumping across and starting the timer (same goes for entering the bridge section)

• Getting hit by a “contacting Destiny servers” notification while trying to collect my loot after a successful completion, which resulted in me getting no loot AND failing to retrieve my mote.

• Finally, after completing my 4th successful run, I got hit by the laggy bounty bug. The bounty wouldn’t “pop”, so I couldn’t collect my loot. I watched the timer run down and the vault close... still nothing. Finally, I went to orbit in frustration. The bounty never did “complete” itself, but my mote did eventually return to my inventory. I spent another hour getting 2 more completions. Same results both times. I finally just deleted the bounty from my pursuits, and was then able to complete a run and get a drop.

What’s really strange is that I did complete the weekly helmet bounty on my Warlock a couple days ago without any problems. So it seems like the bug might somehow only affect specific individual bounties?

At any rate, tonight convinced me that Reckoning is the worst activity ever put into Destiny. It’s just an awful experience at every level. It’d be great if Bungie smoothed out the rough edges, because there’s potential for a fun activity in there. But as it stands now... yikes O_o

by squidnh3, Sunday, July 14, 2019, 05:32 (1720 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

• Getting hit by a “contacting Destiny servers” notification while trying to collect my loot after a successful completion, which resulted in me getting no loot AND failing to retrieve my mote.

I was getting a Destiny server message on and off all last night, and it appears quite a few people on Reddit were too. It looks like the latest patch might have some issues.

That being said, I don't like Reckoning either, and tying it into Gambit Prime usually keeps me away from that too.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Sunday, July 14, 2019, 08:26 (1720 days ago) @ squidnh3

I was getting a Destiny server message on and off all last night, and it appears quite a few people on Reddit were too. It looks like the latest patch might have some issues.

That being said, I don't like Reckoning either, and tying it into Gambit Prime usually keeps me away from that too.

Last night I got a message that players would be returned to the title screen and maintenance would begin. The rest of the night was glitchy in all modes for me. Lagging bounty notification and lots of contacting server messages.

I was trying to get the gambit invader kill for Lumina. I finally caught an invader with my golden gun 2 seconds after they spawned...nothing. I finished the game. 10 minutes after that game, my bounty completed. Whew.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread