An "evolving world" done right, by... Fortnite!? (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, July 20, 2019, 13:01 (1714 days ago)

Fortnite is wrapping up its latest season this weekend, and boy are they ending it with a bang. Over the course of the season, players have seen two events unfolding slowly and simultaneously. On one side of the map, a frozen monster has appeared, thawed, and escaped into the sea. On the other, a giant mech has been under construction. Both of these events have been affecting the world in different ways, but this weekend, it all came to a head when the monster returned to shore and started wreaking havoc:

(The season's series of events are detailed in this Kotaku article.)

This massive battle takes place during a match in the game, and spans several locations, uses previous events as part of the unfolding action, and sets up a big change in the map for next season (giant monster skeleton, wrecked towns).

Season-long happenings and goings-on are the perfect way to engage your audience, as well as creating a sense of FOMO that doesn't punish others for not being there, and the devs use the opportunity to create lasting changes to the game world. The map has truly evolved over time, and there's a story behind a lot of it.

Say what you will about EPIC's overworked employees, ruthless crunch, and unreasonable content demands... But dang it if the results aren't impressive.

So I hope Bungie leans more into this with D3st3n3 3. You don't need massive seasonal events, but a steady evolution of content, enemy behaviors, or world state goes a long way towards adding a desire to return to the world often. Lord knows I've been wanting this kind of stuff for a while...

An "evolving world" done right, by... Fortnite!?

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 20, 2019, 14:23 (1713 days ago) @ Korny

Bungie could probably pull this off if they treated their developers like dogshit like Epic does theirs.

It’s neat, but it’s not worth the poor working conditions.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 20, 2019, 16:19 (1713 days ago) @ cheapLEY

With that said, I would like to see Bungie work on evolving old playable spaces more. It’s why I’m pretty excited for Shadowkeep. I like revisiting familiar places and seeing real change.

I’d love to see EDZ free of Cabal, for instance. It’s been two years, and you’d think we’re still in the middle of an invasion. Hell, the old Tower is still on fire! Someone should put that out! Titan is still dilapidated, with what’s her fave still standing out in the rain. Build a damn roof! Fix some shit and setup a real FOB.

Io and Nessus are boring as hell with literally nothing interesting happening, so I don’t know how you show meaningful change there. Maybe blow them up so I don’t have to look at that “shades of vomit” color palette on Io ever again.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, July 22, 2019, 05:50 (1712 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’d love to see EDZ free of Cabal, for instance. It’s been two years, and you’d think we’re still in the middle of an invasion. Hell, the old Tower is still on fire! Someone should put that out! Titan is still dilapidated, with what’s her fave still standing out in the rain. Build a damn roof! Fix some shit and setup a real FOB.

That welder on The Farm still doesn't have the proper PPE.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 22, 2019, 08:08 (1712 days ago) @ ManKitten

That welder on The Farm still doesn't have the proper PPE.

None of the welders do. There are a few around the hanger in the Tower too. They're all blind by now.

ManK,Thought anymore about that Crackpot theories thread?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 20:57 (1710 days ago) @ ManKitten

"I miss the days of speculation and crackpot theories"

Off Topic: Hey ManK, Have you given any more thought to starting that dedicated Destiny 2 (or 3?) Speculation and Crackpot theories thread? What would you title a thread of people throwing around a bunch of Crackpot theories? Compendium of Crackpots? A Consortium? Coalition of Crackpot theorists?

The Cackling Compendium of Crackpot Catalogers?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 22:46 (1710 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

Calling all Crackheads...I mean Crackpots

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 11:03 (1710 days ago) @ Pyromancy

"I miss the days of speculation and crackpot theories"

Off Topic: Hey ManK, Have you given any more thought to starting that dedicated Destiny 2 (or 3?) Speculation and Crackpot theories thread? What would you title a thread of people throwing around a bunch of Crackpot theories? Compendium of Crackpots? A Consortium? Coalition of Crackpot theorists?

Wow, good memory!

And it's nothing something I have to start, especially since most things I post are either nonsense or crackpot considering I'm usually not "informed" or "pay attention" to "details."

But let's go off the rails on Shadowkeep. The obvious discussion is "What are those mysterious floating figures?" Here are some answers to consider. Since the moon is harvesting the Nightmares of enemies we've slain, they could be...

• When you kill Fallen and you see their "soul" leave their body, that's where they go. The hive have found a way to harvest souls and they put them in that giant red furnace stack to power their operation.

• They are the souls of innocent humans killed during the Red War and will help us fight the bad guys.

• They are the original souls of our guardians pre-revival.

• When we receive the blessing of light, it purges the darkness from our Guardian. That darkness is harnessed in a vault on the moon. That's why the Hive were originally drilling there, they were looking for our dark souls. Now we've unleashed them and will have to fight them or embrace them. Like that episode of Rick and Morty where Rick removed his evil side. This also happened to Stewie in Family Guy.

I guess, my main point is, I think they are the souls of someone/something that have been contained and suddenly released.

We're cancelling the apocalypse!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 22, 2019, 19:10 (1711 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread