What is available with the Year 3 changes? (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, July 22, 2019, 17:17 (1739 days ago)

Howdy Y'all! I'm thinking about jumping back in and I know there are big changes coming for the fall in how the game is presented. What I'm most interested in is what changes have been made starting this fall in how we purchase content? Is just the base game free? Are all the previous updates free?

If you can point me to a link or a previous forum topic on this I would really appreciate it!

Hope to see y'all soon.

What is available with the Year 3 changes?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 22, 2019, 17:29 (1739 days ago) @ red robber

My understanding is that all of Year One will be free. So D2, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind. You will also have access to every strike, every Crucible map, and all Gambit content. So basically anything that has a match made playlist.

Forsaken and Shadowkeep will have to be purchased still. But you longer have to purchase previous DLCs to access new ones. So you could skip Forsaken and just buy Shadowkeep (don’t do this—Forsaken is the best Destiny release in the franchise so far!).

I don’t have a link handy, but just Google “Destiny New Light,” and you should be able to find the details.

I Thought It Was Just The Base Game;Nothing Else.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 09:07 (1738 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 10:38 (1738 days ago) @ Morpheus

The two articles I read after searching said all of Year One, but I don’t really know where they got that information.

I also missed that they will get all patrol zones, even for stuff they don’t own. So New Light players will be able to visit the Tangled Shore, Dreaming City, and the Moon. Not sure what exactly they’ll have access to in those locations though.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:37 (1738 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The two articles I read after searching said all of Year One, but I don’t really know where they got that information.

I also missed that they will get all patrol zones, even for stuff they don’t own. So New Light players will be able to visit the Tangled Shore, Dreaming City, and the Moon. Not sure what exactly they’ll have access to in those locations though.

The patrol zones probably have to do with completing exotics and some bounties and stuff. It would be super hard to figure out what patrols spaces need to be in use for what missions and so on. Probably just easier to make all patrol spaces open.

Almost 100% sure that is just for Flashpoints

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:19 (1738 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:06 (1738 days ago) @ Harmanimus

But you can get Dreaming City, which doesn’t have a flashpoint. Can you do Petra’s Bounties? Can you launch the Shattered Throne? Ascendant Challenges? Weekly story mission?

Tangled Shore is more straightforward, but can you do Spider’s Wanted Bounties?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:33 (1738 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The decision to provide destinations to everyone, Dreaming City or not, is easy to answer as for Flashpoints as a primary motivator. The same reason making all Strikes Free means no one gets locked out of Nightfalls follows for not locking people out of the core weekly rotation.

Presumably any [Forsaken Icon] content that isn’t covered by Crucible/Strikes/Gambit would still require Forsaken.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:08 (1738 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I swear I heard someone in an interview say New Light players would have full access to all patrol zones, including Escalation Protocol and Blind Well.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:11 (1738 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They’d have to, unless they built in some system to only match New Light players together. Otherwise, what would happen to a New Light player if someone just randomly started up EP. They could probably just block them from entering the Blind Well area somehow if they really wanted, I guess.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 13:46 (1738 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It’s just follow-on consumer friendliness. Goal A (Flashpoints for everyone) leads to question B (What about DLC/etc. destinations) which is best answered by also including content C (all destinations)

While I’m not expecting it, there is also the opportunity of making Dreaming City a regular destination going forward, with Flashpoints and such. Given that they likely aren’t quite yet content locked I’m sure that we won’t know for a hot minute still.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 14:49 (1738 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 14:52

It’s just follow-on consumer friendliness. Goal A (Flashpoints for everyone) leads to question B (What about DLC/etc. destinations) which is best answered by also including content C (all destinations)

While I’m not expecting it, there is also the opportunity of making Dreaming City a regular destination going forward, with Flashpoints and such. Given that they likely aren’t quite yet content locked I’m sure that we won’t know for a hot minute still.

I wonder if that would ever happen. Dreaming City already has its own weekly powerful engrams. I guess they could, but I don’t think they’d pair that with making it a Flashpoint. I don’t think I’d want them to.

It does make me wonder if the Moon will ever be a Flashpoint, or if it will have its own Dreaming City style thing, with Eris providing weekly bounties for Powerful gear. I honestly expected that to be the case with new Destinations going forward, with Flashpoints relegated to the year one Destinations plus Tangled Shore.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 16:30 (1738 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Luke Smith, I think, specifically talked about Dreaming City in the context of being a primary leveling method for more than a year being really not exciting. Changing up how we work through Power Levels is specifically something they’re looking to adjust. Not sure that would mean making DC a regular destination with activity drops being more in line with Heroic Adventures on the Tangled Shore (“always” dropping a Legendary on Boss kill) or what. But shifting away from DC for 6 weekly powerful drops does seem to be in the cards. Maybe give us a new use for Baryon Boughs.

Ask again in 48 hours.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 22, 2019, 19:07 (1739 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

Ask again in 48 hours.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 19:37 (1738 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Will check back. Sounds like there's still a lot of confusion that will be cleared up soon. I hate that I missed out on the last year or so.

(Possable) Correction.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 21:42 (1737 days ago) @ red robber

Will check back. Sounds like there's still a lot of confusion that will be cleared up soon. I hate that I missed out on the last year or so.

I recalled that there was something on the 24th, a blog post, which would be talking about upcoming Bungie Stuff. Seems my recollection was for Solstice of Heroes. I was thinking there was going to be a reveal, but I suppose that may have just been wishful thinking! :)

Solstice of heroes will also bring some new loot for players to earn this summer. Keep your eyes peeled, we’ll have a blog article on July 24 to show off the upcoming event!

Stumbled across this, thought it might help

by Dust223, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 17:24 (1737 days ago) @ red robber

Imgur Link

Credit to SkylineXM on reddit for making this.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread