So I finally upgraded my TV (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 12:39 (1735 days ago)

[image]

32 inches. Mitsubishi's legendary CRT technology. Everything looks so amazing! It's a huge upgrade from my old 14 incher.

So I finally upgraded my TV

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 12:50 (1735 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

32 inches. Mitsubishi's legendary CRT technology. Everything looks so amazing! It's a huge upgrade from my old 14 incher.

Now THAT is one of the few retro games I can get excited about :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 13:16 (1735 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

Now THAT is one of the few retro games I can get excited about :)

Can you beat it on mania?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, July 24, 2019, 13:18 (1735 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

cool cool, you have a TV. Now, I notice that you also have all six books in the dune series. My respect for you have grown.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 26, 2019, 13:41 (1733 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[image]

cool cool, you have a TV. Now, I notice that you also have all six books in the dune series. My respect for you have grown.

I hope my Bungie book is as good as Irulan’s was on the Muad’dib.

by squidnh3, Saturday, July 27, 2019, 12:24 (1732 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Now, I notice that you also have all six books in the dune series. My respect for you have grown.

Not in order though.

Sacrilege

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 29, 2019, 12:11 (1730 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Now, I notice that you also have all six books in the dune series. My respect for you have grown.

I had the opposite reaction. First book, great! But as you get deeper into the series, the self-inflicted punishment of grinding through them is just ridiculous. I forget where I stopped, but I abandoned them in the middle of one of the books and never looked back.

Sacrilege

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 29, 2019, 12:16 (1730 days ago) @ Beorn

I had the opposite reaction. First book, great! But as you get deeper into the series, the self-inflicted punishment of grinding through them is just ridiculous. I forget where I stopped, but I abandoned them in the middle of one of the books and never looked back.

Because you went too far. He’s right. Six. There are only six.

Sacrilege

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 29, 2019, 12:27 (1730 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Never read past 6, nor do I want to. Yes, 4 and 5 were rough, but 6 was excellent and well worth the read once I got there.

Sacrilege

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 29, 2019, 13:14 (1730 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Never read past 6, nor do I want to. Yes, 4 and 5 were rough, but 6 was excellent and well worth the read once I got there.

I'll take your word for it. The first was amazing.

I certainly didn't make it through six of them…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 29, 2019, 13:46 (1730 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 29, 2019, 13:51 (1730 days ago) @ Beorn

(1) Is great and stand alone and pretty easy read
(2,3) are a great continuation of 1 and sets up the ideas of 4,5,6
(4,5,6) 4 and 5 are really hard to get through but make a much lighter 6 a great book

That's how I remember it... I don't know if that's true or not :D

by squidnh3, Monday, July 29, 2019, 14:57 (1730 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

(1) Is great and stand alone and pretty easy read
(2,3) are a great continuation of 1 and sets up the ideas of 4,5,6
(4,5,6) 4 and 5 are really hard to get through but make a much lighter 6 a great book

That's how I remember it... I don't know if that's true or not :D

Most people I know who have tried to read them all give up midway through 4. 4 is a sort-of standalone story that acts as a bridge between what could be thought of as 2 trilogies, the second one being 5, 6, and what would have been 7 if Frank Herbert hadn't died before finishing it.

4 is full of philosophy and weird worm-person stuff, so it's a tough one to get through without knowing the payoff. However, I've enjoyed it more every time I've gone through the series, and understanding what Paul rejects and Leto II accepts enhanced 1-3 a lot for me.

My order would be 1/5/3/6/4/2, with a big gap between 4 and 2.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 29, 2019, 16:37 (1729 days ago) @ squidnh3

I've never read Dune. Always wanted to, I've just never made time for it. I have a hard time reading series in anything other than Publication order, though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 29, 2019, 17:05 (1729 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 29, 2019, 17:11

I've never read Dune. Always wanted to, I've just never made time for it. I have a hard time reading series in anything other than Publication order, though.

Hey you're in luck they just wrapped shooting on the movie. So it'll only take you 4-6 hours if you just watch the films first (it's going to be in two parts). Coming out in 2020.

But I don't think we'll get part 2 because it's going to bomb because who the fuck is gonna want to watch Dune in this day and age? I mean, Blade runner 2049 is literally on the wikipedia list of biggest box office bombs of all time, and Dune's story is even more impenetrable with tons of jargon and bogus concepts like genetic memory. The appeal of Dune is even more niche.

by squidnh3, Monday, July 29, 2019, 17:10 (1729 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sorry, I should've said ranking, not order. They are all good though, I could talk for hours about them.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 29, 2019, 17:57 (1729 days ago) @ squidnh3

Sorry, I should've said ranking, not order. They are all good though, I could talk for hours about them.

Ah, that makes sense!

I'll be looking for something new after I finished up Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy, so maybe I'll finally give it a shot.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 12:49 (1728 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'll be looking for something new after I finished up Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy, so maybe I'll finally give it a shot.

My job here is done.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread