The size of your gun matters (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 26, 2019, 08:11 (1708 days ago)

Holy crap, this is hilarious.

Fallout did some testing to explore a little theory of his. He was wondering if the physical length of a shotgun’s barrel contributed to its effective range. For example, you two players are running at each other in PvP, and they both have shotguns with identical specs, but 1 has a longer barrel than the other, would that player be within 1-shot-kill range slightly earlier than the other player?

Practically speaking, this would be near impossible to test, because shotguns are so inherently inconsistent. But then he remembered The Chaperone (which fires a slug, therefore no pellet spread, therefore no inconsistency).

The Chaperone has an ornament that changes the physical length of the barrel. So he did some testing, and... yes. Using the ornament with the longer barrel extends the range at which you can 1-shot an enemy in PvP:

The size of your gun matters

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 26, 2019, 08:29 (1708 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So a cosmetic has an effect on the gameplay?

Pay to win.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 26, 2019, 09:22 (1708 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's generally what happens in real life, so I have to wonder if it was intentional in the game.

by squidnh3, Friday, July 26, 2019, 10:28 (1708 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I thought the way it was implemented was that in all Bungie FPSs (and maybe FPSs in general), bullets actually come out of your face because otherwise there would be a confusing difference between what you can see and what you can shoot. If that's the case, it's hard to understand how the size of the gun model would have an effect.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 26, 2019, 10:48 (1708 days ago) @ squidnh3

I thought the way it was implemented was that in all Bungie FPSs (and maybe FPSs in general), bullets actually come out of your face because otherwise there would be a confusing difference between what you can see and what you can shoot. If that's the case, it's hard to understand how the size of the gun model would have an effect.

That was certainly the case in the halo games, but I think there’s some trickery going on in Destiny, specifically with how ADS is represented.

THAT would be another interesting test... does going ADS change where the bullets emanate?

by FyreWulff, Monday, July 29, 2019, 06:26 (1705 days ago) @ squidnh3

I think (and looking over video seems to confirm) that Destiny makes them actually fire from the gun muzzles. Likely because there's all the stuff that can alter the firing line of a gun (like being shot makes it jump etc) that the Halo system probably would have looked even weirder.

But my guess is this likely a bug because until this point, whatever determines where the muzzle of a gun is was more or less a cosmetic data entry when building a gun model, and since it never changed it was set up around whereever it fired from, but now that ornaments have really become a thing, this bug hasn't cropped up until now.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 29, 2019, 09:30 (1705 days ago) @ FyreWulff

And that's weird, because just the other day we were making fun of where the bullets actually come out from (about level with your face).

X vs Y axis?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 29, 2019, 15:21 (1705 days ago) @ ZackDark

And that's weird, because just the other day we were making fun of where the bullets actually come out from (about level with your face).

Both can be true though, no? It’s possible that the bullets come out at face level (“up” from the gun model), but that the physical length of the barrel shifts the horizontal point of the bullet firing?

X vs Y axis?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 29, 2019, 19:48 (1704 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I mean, yes, but if you let go of one, why make a point of making the other realistic?

X vs Y axis?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 29, 2019, 20:04 (1704 days ago) @ ZackDark

My understanding is that the vertical placement needed to be messed with in order to make the bullet fire look “correct” from the player’s first person perspective. By that same token, the horizontal placement would almost have to be placed in line with the physical end of the weapon, otherwise you could get muzzle-flash effects happening right in the middle of the barrel, and stuff like that.

X vs Y axis?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 29, 2019, 20:30 (1704 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I won't pretend to know anything about how this works, but that makes sense to me.

Some artists made a gun ornament with a barrel that was a bit longer than the one on the original weapon. To make sure it didn't end up looking stupid, the changed where the bullet originates to match the barrel length. They either didn't consider the gameplay implications of this, or, more likely, they rightly identified that it's a complete non-issue.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread