SGA for grinding Solstice armor on multiple characters (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 05, 2019, 09:25 (1716 days ago)

I discovered yesterday that at least 1 of the solstice armor upgrade requirements tracks progress across your other characters.

I upgraded my Hunter’s solstice armor to the Legendary set, then switched over to my Warlock to start grinding out her armor. One of the requirements to upgrade the green armor is to play 10 playlist strikes. I did this with a couple people in our DBO clan.

Later that night, I bounced back over to my hunter. I then noticed that my hunter’s Legendary solstice gloves masterwork requirement was now showing as “completed”. This requirement was to play 10 strikes with clanmates. So even though I’d done the strikes on my Warlock, it counted towards my Hunter’s gloves.

(My hunter’s solstice gloves were equipped on that character the entire time, just to be clear)

SGA for grinding Solstice armor on multiple characters

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 05, 2019, 09:38 (1716 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I discovered yesterday that at least 1 of the solstice armor upgrade requirements tracks progress across your other characters.

I upgraded my Hunter’s solstice armor to the Legendary set, then switched over to my Warlock to start grinding out her armor. One of the requirements to upgrade the green armor is to play 10 playlist strikes. I did this with a couple people in our DBO clan.

Later that night, I bounced back over to my hunter. I then noticed that my hunter’s Legendary solstice gloves masterwork requirement was now showing as “completed”. This requirement was to play 10 strikes with clanmates. So even though I’d done the strikes on my Warlock, it counted towards my Hunter’s gloves.

(My hunter’s solstice gloves were equipped on that character the entire time, just to be clear)

[image]

I think by design, Masterworks are account-wide, so this SGA would likely be limited to that specific instance. If there's anyone here besides you grinding out multiple characters/masterworks, I'd be real surprised. Also sad.

SGA for grinding Solstice armor on multiple characters

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 05, 2019, 09:45 (1716 days ago) @ Korny

If there's anyone here besides you grinding out multiple characters/masterworks, I'd be real surprised. Also sad.

[image]...

... also to be sad you would need feelings Korny. (Robots don't have feelings, right?) >_>

Prepare to be shocked and saddened.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 09:30 (1715 days ago) @ Korny
edited by DiscipleN2k, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 10:26

If there's anyone here besides you grinding out multiple characters/masterworks, I'd be real surprised. Also sad.

[image]

Just got my Warlock in her blues. If it wasn't my kid's birthday today, I might have picked up the sparrow tonight.

I can pretty well guarantee Chappy is also going for that sparrow and I'd be pretty surprised if there aren't at least two or three others planning on completing the grind as well. There are a handful of us masochists hanging out around here :p

-Disciple

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 10:45 (1715 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

My Titan is done. I’m well enough toward blue armor for my Hunter and Warlock that I have no doubt I’ll be getting the Sparrow.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:31 (1714 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

[image]

Just got my Warlock in her blues. If it wasn't my kid's birthday today, I might have picked up the sparrow tonight.

I can pretty well guarantee Chappy is also going for that sparrow and I'd be pretty surprised if there aren't at least two or three others planning on completing the grind as well. There are a handful of us masochists hanging out around here :p

-Disciple

My first character's blues are almost done. Got my hundredth miniboss yesterday. Promptly went to orbit.

I'm just kicking myself now because it's possible I might try to go for a 2nd or 3rd set, and now I found out doing so would have been more efficient if I'd started all 3 at once instead of one at a time. I hadn't done that before because I didn't want the disappointment of not finishing those sets and then having to delete them with unfinished progress.

It's weird. I find that the addition of orbs and orb-collecting, as well as incentives to deploy different element types even in playlists with singes means I am enjoying strikes more, but the minibosses requirement meant spending proportionally more time in the EAZ falling off of buildings and getting angry at randoms for burning bosses with no one around.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:43 (1714 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm just kicking myself now because it's possible I might try to go for a 2nd or 3rd set, and now I found out doing so would have been more efficient if I'd started all 3 at once instead of one at a time.

Just to be clear, the green and blue armor requirements do not complete cross character. It is only the masterwork requirements (such as 2-man Shattered Throne) that appear to be shared between characters. And also, once again, masterworking the armor can be completed after the Solstice event is over. The only Solstice time-limited items are the requirements on the green and blue armor.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:43 (1714 days ago) @ narcogen

My first character's blues are almost done. Got my hundredth miniboss yesterday. Promptly went to orbit.

Nice! That miniboss requirement is by far the worst part of the grind. The 10 Gambit games is a solid 2nd place, though.

I'm just kicking myself now because it's possible I might try to go for a 2nd or 3rd set, and now I found out doing so would have been more efficient if I'd started all 3 at once instead of one at a time. I hadn't done that before because I didn't want the disappointment of not finishing those sets and then having to delete them with unfinished progress.

It looks like it's just the masterwork requirements that work cross-character, though if anyone has found out that having all three characters at blue at the same time will let you get away with only getting 100 miniboss kills and playing 10 gambit game across all characters, I'm going to be really disappointed in myself.

It's weird. I find that the addition of orbs and orb-collecting, as well as incentives to deploy different element types even in playlists with singes means I am enjoying strikes more, but the minibosses requirement meant spending proportionally more time in the EAZ falling off of buildings and getting angry at randoms for burning bosses with no one around.

Yeah, no way to spin it. I straight-up HATE that miniboss requirement. It's much better if you get a team of three and are willing to cheese it, but even if you get lucky and get the right EAZ variant on your first attempt, it's still nearly an hour grind. It is, however, a great time to dig through your collections tab and find those weapons that you never got around to farming masterwork kills for. :p

-Disciple

by squidnh3, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:46 (1714 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

It is, however, a great time to dig through your collections tab and find those weapons that you never got around to farming masterwork kills for.

I used it to finish grenade kill triumphs for the ones that suck and I never use. Should have thought of the weapon catalysts.

Well, crap.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 08:24 (1715 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well, crap. So having decided to only do one character, and then changed my mind, I've missed out on progress I could have had.

I'm torn between an expression of frustration at Bungie that I feel on some level is unjustified and entitled, until I realize that the structure in which this frustration exists is entirely created by the game's core design.

Dammit, I wanted an episodic story-driven scifi shooter built around coop. Not an MMO. I realize a sizable portion of Bungie's employees either are, or have been, overly enamored of WoW over the years... but...

Not like this. Not. Like. This.

Story-Driven?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 10:39 (1715 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm torn between an expression of frustration at Bungie that I feel on some level is unjustified and entitled, until I realize that the structure in which this frustration exists is entirely created by the game's core design.

Dammit, I wanted an episodic story-driven scifi shooter built around coop. Not an MMO. I realize a sizable portion of Bungie's employees either are, or have been, overly enamored of WoW over the years... but...

Truth Hurts. The existence of a story, excellent as it is (thank you Ragashingo) is not what I signed up for.

[image]

Did Bungie invent the social gaming experience? Of course not. But they darn sure perfected the virtual tidings of a Global "Game Night" where you can sit down and play a game with buds/clan/randoms and find a moment to just let loose. It's real nice. Halo was at its best with Forge Mode.

Destiny is a Hobby, they say. The difference being, in my case, that with all my other Hobbies I can make something by the end. This? Is eating a hobby? Is that a healthy hobby to have?

Destiny: The Game is not what I expected, nor hoped to get. Such is life. I have had my fun with it. Yet... Oh. Seems something about your post narcogen chinked off a bit of musings and thought.

Well... I guess I'll end this here. What Destiny shall be shall be, apparently, glanced within in this week, and known by the end of the year. Yet just like the matrix, I can't help but feel like we've done this before.

Déjà vu?

notlikethis_switch.gif

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 11:15 (1715 days ago) @ narcogen

I think it happened because they were playing WoW as they developed Halo games, and then because of the enjoyment of that social experience, they baked as much of it as they could into Destiny. I, too, would like the end result to come off much more like Borderlands than what we currently have. And with the "more RPG-like" elements coming, I'll say on one hand I'm eager to see what kind of builds I can tune and play with; whereas on the other hand, I'm actually dreading the work that seems like it will take. I get that the end product of this hobby is an arsenal of personally curated guns and gear; and while that qualifies as extremely my shit, I can't say I'm excited about having to keep up with the joneses at the new level of granularity.

Well, crap.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 12:05 (1715 days ago) @ narcogen

Well, crap. So having decided to only do one character, and then changed my mind, I've missed out on progress I could have had.

#codywasright

Remember Spartan Ops in Halo 4?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 16:52 (1715 days ago) @ narcogen

Do you mean something like that? (if you played it that is)

On paper, I remember the *concept* of Spartan Ops being really appealing- time released, episodic, cooperative story driven missions.

I remember it being "OK" at best story wise (Palmer, bro-tastic spartans, dino-elites and other things I didn't care about) but the delivery and structure I thought were solid. It was fun having an evening organized around that, playing the episode and then after, MP.

*OH!* This is an excellent point. Very inciteful.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 16:59 (1715 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 17:31 (1715 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I liked Spartan Ops quite a bit. You're spot on, in that the story wasn't exactly great, but it was still a fun thing to do. It was a smart reuse of the campaign play spaces with some new encounters, though, and just a fun thing to look forward to. I'm sad they dropped it for Halo 5, as I think it is a neat way to keep the story going after the main game is over. I understand why it wouldn't be worth the development resources, though.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 06, 2019, 19:29 (1715 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Eh. Spartan Ops eventually gained some momentum, but it was pretty dang bad most of the time. Remember how they pretty quickly admitted that they were building the missions week to week? Yeah. Don't do that. It does not work well. A lot of very short missions with the bare minimum of story delivered by generally badly written voice overs. The concept of ongoing episodic story is fantastic. Spartan Ops... wasn't anywhere close for me.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 00:26 (1714 days ago) @ Ragashingo

They mostly just spawned enemies and gear into competitive maps and had a voice over. And every so often re-used a campaign space to roughly the same effect. While 5 weekly missions all built to take roughly 12 minutes isn't the worst way you can design episodic content, but what they delivered with Spartan Ops was rather under cooked.

And that is without getting into the mishandling of the story beats, characters, and the severance at the end of Halo 5's first mission.

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 03:55 (1714 days ago) @ Revenant1988

On paper, I remember the *concept* of Spartan Ops being really appealing- time released, episodic, cooperative story driven missions.

I remember it being "OK" at best story wise (Palmer, bro-tastic spartans, dino-elites and other things I didn't care about) but the delivery and structure I thought were solid. It was fun having an evening organized around that, playing the episode and then after, MP.

The problem with Spartan Ops, though, is it seemingly came at the loss of Firefight, and then 343 seemed to brag that we wouldn't miss Firefight with Spartan Ops around, which in hindsight was both a good way to start people off with a salty view of the mode, and then issuing one entire season of content and abandoning it didn't convince anyone after the fact.

It did have really fun missions though, like the one on Ragnarok where you shot down the ship.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 06:32 (1714 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I forgot they boosted it. Yea you need to put in effort when you make something a replacement for something else and brag about it. Probably the nail in the can for some people

Not really, no

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:27 (1714 days ago) @ Revenant1988

In format, yes.

In content, no.

For me I think the importance of episodic delivery hinges on having a good story to deliver, and I largely considered Halo's story to have concluded with Halo 3, and to have been embellished enjoyably by ODST and Reach (in that order). Never played Halo 4 or 5.

Destiny has added a lot of lore to itself over the years but as much as they've added, and as much of the delivery has changed, the fact remains is that the most enjoyable means of accessing that lore is outside of and largely irrelevant to the playing of the game, with a few notable exceptions.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread