The new COD Modern Warfare has crossplay (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 13:54 (1710 days ago)

This is old news, but I had no idea. This is huge.

That means Destiny 3, whenever that comes out, will have it. I still doubt that Destiny 2 ever will, but I’m less skeptical.

Wow.

Kerm

The new COD Modern Warfare has crossplay

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 14:38 (1710 days ago) @ Kermit

Modern Warfare will have true crossplay between Xbox One, PS4 and PC, no strings attached.

Yup. That's going to be fun for the console players. Remember the disaster that was Shadowrun when it came to balancing PC vs console crossplay?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 14:51 (1710 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Modern Warfare will have true crossplay between Xbox One, PS4 and PC, no strings attached.

Yup. That's going to be fun for the console players. Remember the disaster that was Shadowrun when it came to balancing PC vs console crossplay?

I can't tell if this statement from the article is about how CoD is going to do crossplay, or if it's just saying that crossplay, in general, is good and Fortnite handled it well.

Fortnite-style “input matchmaking” will help avoid PC players stomping everyone, as is a common concern. You match with other players with your style of input, controller or M+K, and only go “out of your league” if you’re partied with a PC friend on console, which will get you into mainly PC games

This is definitely the way console games should handle crossplay, though. And I don't know if it works this way on Fortnite, but I hope that if the game supports console M+K, that you're automatically moved to the M+K pool.

-Disciple

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 16:14 (1710 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

This is definitely the way console games should handle crossplay, though. And I don't know if it works this way on Fortnite, but I hope that if the game supports console M+K, that you're automatically moved to the M+K pool.

-Disciple

The other issue is that you can't balance the PC game separately than the consoles like Bungie is doing now with Des2ny. Crossplay means that any change made to one platform must be made to all.

Super-Duper-Random-Sidenote

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 15:17 (1710 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 15:48

I recall having fun in that game, but that's not important right now. Way back in the the day I thought the intro for Shadowrun had some REALLY cool music.

I recently randomly found the source of the music after one of my research dives into new music. It might sound odd at some parts, as it's mostly voice based and some people may find the mix of throat singing and gasps (at the very least) to be odd. But I think it's DOPE AF composition, and I see an opportunity to share it. I'M GOIN' FOR IT!

The song is Baiana by the group Barbatuques.

It's about 4:40 long. Not sure why the linked clip has that extra silent buffer.

by FyreWulff, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 16:30 (1710 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is it really fair to judge crossplay via a game that had it's studio closed and all patches dropped right after release?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 18:47 (1710 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Is it really fair to judge crossplay via a game that had it's studio closed and all patches dropped right after release?

That wasn't the problem… The issue is keyboard and mouse vs thumbstick.

Pad players were getting destroyed by players with a mouse, so they altered the mouse control in such a way as to limit the acceleration and ability to whip around 180. And of course that felt awful and people gave up.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 03:25 (1709 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm mostly worried about FPS differences, because Destiny already has some really good systems in place for controller vs KB+M. Does it still sting to be killed left and right by hand-cannons and not being able to use them at all? Maybe, but it's not like I'm getting absolutely stomped all the time like most of these discussions imply (or like it is in Apex Legends *shudders*).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 08:17 (1709 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm mostly worried about FPS differences, because Destiny already has some really good systems in place for controller vs KB+M. Does it still sting to be killed left and right by hand-cannons and not being able to use them at all? Maybe, but it's not like I'm getting absolutely stomped all the time like most of these discussions imply (or like it is in Apex Legends *shudders*).

Ahhhhh this is true.

I specifically remember higher FPS in games like Quake effected the physics calculations and made certain jumps and movements only available if you have very high FPS. It would have to be programmed very carefully for it to be fair.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:05 (1709 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not even that complex. Simply having more frames to perceive and react to something already makes a huge difference, especially when the jump is from 30fps to, dunno, 120fps.

If they can consistently perform at 60fps on console, I don't think it'll be that bad, assuming of course they get the physics straight (glares at Mercury's man-cannons).

by squidnh3, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 09:57 (1709 days ago) @ ZackDark

It's not even that complex. Simply having more frames to perceive and react to something already makes a huge difference, especially when the jump is from 30fps to, dunno, 120fps.

I'd say the FoV is actually the bigger difference. Being able to see more is a huge advantage.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:29 (1709 days ago) @ squidnh3

I'd say the FoV is actually the bigger difference. Being able to see more is a huge advantage.

I want this more than an increase in fps. I struggle with the tunnel vision more than frame rate issues.

Interesting

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:40 (1709 days ago) @ squidnh3

This is definitely a thing, but hadn't considered how tight it can be on console at times

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 10:01 (1709 days ago) @ ZackDark

If they can consistently perform at 60fps on console, I don't think it'll be that bad, assuming of course they get the physics straight (glares at Mercury's man-cannons).

CoD has always been at 60fps on console.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:01 (1709 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really hope Destiny 3 prioritizes 60fps. I have basically no confidence that it will, but I can hope.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:07 (1709 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really hope Destiny 3 prioritizes 60fps. I have basically no confidence that it will, but I can hope.

60 FPS cutscenes at the very least. It's really annoying going from buttery smooth, high-framerate gameplay to a 30 FPS cutscene and back again.

-Disciple

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:36 (1709 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

60 FPS cutscenes at the very least. It's really annoying going from buttery smooth, high-framerate gameplay to a 30 FPS cutscene and back again.

-Disciple

Cough… Halo 5… ahem.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread