Remedy's new game, Control (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 21:00 (1695 days ago)

I just need to rave about this game for a minute.

I've only played about three hours, but I'm already convinced this is Remedy's best game yet.

You play Jesse Faden, who starts the game wandering into the Federal Bureau of Control building in New York. She's trying to find out what happened to her brother, Dylan, who was apparently taken by the FBC over a decade ago.

The FBC is a government organization that is basically the SCP Foundation, searching for and securing paranormal objects. The first such object you find is the Service Weapon, a gun that can transform itself at will. Only the Director of the FBC can wield the Service Weapon. Luckily for you, the previous Director shoots himself as you approach his office, so now you get to be the Director!

The gameplay is sort of standard Remedy at this point, but it's probably the best feeling game they've made yet. The shooting actually feels pretty dang good and much more responsive than I've come to expect from them. The Service Weapon starts as a pretty basic pistol, but can be upgraded along the way to turn into a SMG or a shotgun (and probably more). The real highlight is the powers, though. You get a really great feeling dash move and an ability called Launch. Launch allows you to pick up objects from around the environment and throw them around. It's really satisfying, due in large part to the particle effects and environmental destruction. Rooms that start as pristine offices end up looking like a tornado just blew through. It looks and feels really incredible.

The standout of this game is its environment and atmosphere. The FBC building is a brutalist government facility with a paranormal twist. The rooms can shift around and it all ends up feeling sort of maze like. There are great collectibles strewn around, ranging from case files on paranormal objects (called Objects of Power), which give new abilities when found, to inter-office memos, to Dharma Initiative style training videos (all live action and amazing).

The game is also absolutely gorgeous. The lighting is stunning and the normal office rooms all end up feeling really surreal in a cool way. The particle effects and destruction are really impressive.

Videos of this game don't really do it much justice, in that it looks like a pretty standard Remedy style action game. I suppose that's ultimately what it is, but I really think it's something special, a game that's more than the sum of it parts. It's completely enthralling.

Videos of this game had me anticipating buying it when it went on sale in six months. Listening to the newest Waypoint Podcast had me buying it on my lunch break so it would be downloaded when I got home. I highly recommend reading Rob Zacny's review.

I'll shut up now, but if you like Remedy games, definitely go play this one. Unless you have a base PS4 or Xbox One, that is. The game is damn nearly unplayable, dropping below 15fps for significant chunks of intense firefights. It's been completely fine on my One X so far, but basically everyone has called out extremely poor performance on base consoles.

173? My favorite is either 294, 093, or 055.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 22:54 (1695 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 23:50

Gunplay and powers are very good. Story is very interesting and deliciously strange, though I think Alan Wake and Quantum Break probably have better stories overall. Game is playable and beatable On Xbox One S X but firing a trio of rockets into a crowded cafeteria does result in a brief drop to 0 fps.

I'll toss in some more observations later. With spoiler tags.

Overall, though. I agree. :)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:15 (1695 days ago) @ Ragashingo

173 isn’t my favorite, but it is the OG, so it felt appropriate.

I never finished Alan Wake, but playing Control has me really wanting to do so. I like Control’s story more than Quantum Break’s, but I think that’s mostly a presentation thing. I love the videos with the Director.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:20 (1695 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I never finished Alan Wake, but playing Control has me really wanting to do so. I like Control’s story more than Quantum Break’s, but I think that’s mostly a presentation thing. I love the videos with the Director.

I played maybe 1-2 hours of Quantum Break. I liked the story line and the game place was pretty decent but I just could not get over the fact that all the characters in the game were shitty representations of real actors. That kinda killed it for me.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:21 (1695 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah I agree with that. Overall I loved Quantum Break's story, but the cinematics and everything are not that great, it was mostly the lore that really built it. Control the cinematics do a really good job (so far anyway) of telling the story and the lore just builds on it.

I never finished Quantum Break

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 10:01 (1695 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah I agree with that. Overall I loved Quantum Break's story, but the cinematics and everything are not that great, it was mostly the lore that really built it. Control the cinematics do a really good job (so far anyway) of telling the story and the lore just builds on it.

I loved that game right up until the final boss fight. I enjoyed the story and gameplay, but the final fight had too many BS insta-kill mechanics and they committed the cardinal sin of story games--placing a checkpoint before a long, obnoxious cutscene. Technically, you could skip it, but your load time would take just as long as the cutscene would have.

Control sounds interesting, and I've loved everything else I've played from Remedy (minus that boss fight). I'll have to check it out when it goes on sale.

-Disciple

You posted the review for Banner Saga 3

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:19 (1695 days ago) @ cheapLEY

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:23 (1695 days ago) @ Xenos

I don’t even know how I did that! I don’t even remember seeing that review. Their site has like an endless scrolling thing going on, maybe something switched and I didn’t notice.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 07:25 (1695 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t even know how I did that! I don’t even remember seeing that review. Their site has like an endless scrolling thing going on, maybe something switched and I didn’t notice.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what happened. When you scroll down far enough the URL changes to the Banner Saga 3 review. It's a cool idea for encouraging people to read other articles, but I've done this a few times because of it haha

An update, with mechanic spoilers

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 19:20 (1694 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This game rules!

I can just straight up fucking fly now. The combat in Control went from pretty damn fun to really damn fun. I'm just floating around, throwing shit at enemies with telekenisis, and turning other enemies to fight for me, shooting them with a cool charge up sniper rifle or a grenade launcher, blocking enemy rockets and throwing them back. All the while it looks like the lobby scene from The Matrix with debris falling off walls and pillars and flying everywhere.

The story is a much slower burn than I expected, but I really like that. This is going to be one of those games that I wish was twice as long as it ends up being. I love just exploring The Oldest House and finding all these Altered Items and Objects of Power.

I cannot recommend this game enough.

SkillUp's Review, plus a ray tracing showcase:

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 30, 2019, 17:26 (1694 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, August 30, 2019, 17:41

I sort of see where he's coming from, even if I disagree (so far--I'm still not finished with it).

So far the entire game is firing on all cylinders for me and works together wonderfully.

I love the things that he seemingly hates. His biggest complaint is the story and it's presentation, namely that the story is delivered primarily with conversations with NPCs and exposition and dialogue options. And he specifically calls out the player character's inner dialogue that gets voiced quite a bit with extreme close ups on her face (mainly her eyes).

I can totally see why he doesn't like that stuff, but it works absolutely perfectly for me. It's cheesy, for sure, but in the best way possible, in a way that Remedy always seems to nail. I just adore it.

He says the ending is bad, which I can't comment on, so we'll see.

One of his gripes that I have the biggest issue with is that a lot of the most interesting stuff is in the side quests that are easily missed. (He completely spoils a really great one, but it's also a poor example for his point, as it's basically impossible to miss this quest unless the player just sprints past everything). I think he's making a really huge assumption about how stupid players are to miss some of this stuff, or, at the very least, how most people engage with video games. Maybe he's right, but I have a hard time imagining most people playing this game will simply mainline the entire thing without exploring a little bit. I also just fundamentally like that the game actually rewards exploration, instead of just placing little trinkets to collect like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted or something. There is actual meaningful content that you must intentionally seek out.

And finally, a cool video showing off the graphical effects of the game. Control is gorgeous on Xbox One X. The reflections look legitimately great and really convincing. But ray tracing really takes it up a level. All the glass in the game (and there's a lot of it!) looks amazing. It's very subtle overall, but it's really impressive.

SkillUp's Review, plus a ray tracing showcase:

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, August 31, 2019, 06:37 (1693 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Been playing it on an RTX 2080 Ti and I can confirm that ray tracing in this game is insanely cool.

My WIP review of Control

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, August 31, 2019, 04:21 (1693 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes.

Just finished.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, August 31, 2019, 20:50 (1692 days ago) @ cheapLEY

All I can really say is "wow." What a ride.

Control is right up there with God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn as one of my favorite games.

Having beaten it twice...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 31, 2019, 22:38 (1692 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, August 31, 2019, 23:19

I enjoyed it a lot, but also have a few reservations.

First off, the good:

- This is a Remedy game. For all the work any other developer puts in to crafting their play spaces, Remedy blows them away. The Oldest House, which is the somewhat mysterious, somewhat paranormal building the Federal Bureau of Control calls home, is so well realized from the executive suite to the lowest bowels of the maintenance floors. Alan Wake and Quantum break were similarly realized, but Control tops them because of the insanely destructible environments.

You can't quite break everything you can see, but you can break a heck of a lot of it. Some of the most thrilling moments for me were being shot at by the lowest level guards with their burst fire SMGs and watching those shots rip apart windows, and wall segments, and desks, and book shelves, and even concert pillars down to their rebar cores. By the time a big fight is over, what were pristine, orderly office spaces now look like the crumbling security checkpoint after Neo and Trinity get into the elevator.

- The gunplay is good too. Like, really good. I played Gear of War 4 recently, and it wasn't nearly as fun as Control. Mass Effect: Andromeda isn't as fun as Control. Alan Wake feels bad next to control (though some of it is forgivable given the innovative flashlight tactics) and Quantum Break feels like you just can't believe you missed that many shots at that range, where as Control always lets you feel in c...harge. My favorite weapon combo was using the Service Weapon's SMG-like Spin mode and it's railgun-like Pierce mode. I had an easy to use bullet hose for close range work and a shield piercing low-zoom sniper for tough and distant enemies. But, the game also lets us shift the Service Weapon to perform the roles of an accurate hand cannon, a shotgun, and a rocket launcher.

- Control's powers are good, too! Pick the best powers and gameplay from things like Mass Effect and Bioshock and remove all most all of the sticking points and gotchas and you get Control. Every power is easy to use and generous in both effect and limitation. For instance, in a game where you often pick up objects and throw them at enemies, what do you think would happen if there were no objects to pickup nearby? Other games, you just won't be able to use that power. In Control, you get a brilliant animation where you rip off a piece of the floor or wall, meaning you are never out of "ammo." Or take Control's Levitation ability you earn roughly half way in. In other games, once you run out of energy or flying time, you'd probably drop to your doom. In Control, you gently drift downward in a very orderly manner with plenty of ability to steer yourself to a safe landing. When you combine Control's powers with the destructible environments, even just one thrown object can smash an office space to smithereens in the most fun way imaginable.

- The story and missions are interesting and unique and weird without trying to be too scary or creepy. In Control, the Federal Bureau of Control that you end up working for operates much like the Men in Black but with a bit more serious tone. There are essentially possessed objects that you have to cleanse, but they rarely go in a frightening or jump scare route. Mostly things are interestingly bizarre, but in a way that everyone can enjoy them. Most of what you do, see, and interact with also has one or more pages of backstory attached to it in the form of collectable files and documents scattered about. There are a good number of fun and interesting stories of the FBC containing objects and protecting normal civilians from the weirder things in the world.

- The core story and tone is kinda like the Men In Black mixed with the X-Files mixed with the Twilight Zone. It's strange and occasionally unexplainable things happen, but for the most part it all works. Plus, I like where it ends because it leaves things open for more.

- The solution to the maze was awesome. Probably my favorite part of the game.

Now, the not as good:

- Performance on an original Xbone is kinda terrible. Bringing up your menu causes the game to stutter both before the menu appears and for a couple of seconds after you put the menu away. Sometimes, the map just sorta doesn't load. And on big fights were rockets and desks and enemies and sparks and paper are all flying every which way, the frame rate can drop to absurdly low numbers. I'm looking forward to next year where hopefully the Scarlett makes this game play and look great. On PC it apparently is brilliant. The massive amount of stuff that can be destroyed and sent flying in the midst of a battle is impressive even on Xbone, it's just the game drops down to 720p and 2fps at times. My Xbone also had a strange habit of not being able to play back Control's video segments reliably. Some cutscene with video elements essentially froze on me, which is crazy given I'm running off of a fast SDD!

- Here's my controversial take: As good as the world building and weird plot is in Control, I think it's story is the least impressive of the three Remedy games I've played. For all the good points of Control's setting and story, it has very few characters and very few of them are that interesting. In Alan Wake, we had Barry, Alan's crazy agent, and the mad doctor getting artists to channel their creations through black magic, and the radio host, and the police girl, and so many other great characters. Even in Quantum Break, the main character and secondary characters like the college girl or cab driver dude were more interesting than just about anyone in Control. In Control, everyone is just a bit too straightforward, they stay too much in their lanes, they don't really have a lot of emotional depth or even believability.

Control also pales in the character and cutscene animation departments compared to something like Quantum Break. For the most part, Control's cutscenes are really just your character Jesse and the character you are talking to standing or sitting nearby and the camera, at most, cutting from one to the other. There's surprisingly little spectacle or cinematography in Control. And there should be some of that given the paranormal forces and high stakes involved in the story!

The setting for control is brilliantly realized through Remedy's untouchable environments and strong collectable documents doing some good world building. The characters and story of Control... are just sorta there. Control certainly doesn't have a bad story. It's not badly written or cheesy or stupid or even incomplete. If nothing else, it just feels very paired back compared to Alan Wake and Quantum Break. And that makes me just ever so slightly disappointed. I like this game and this world a lot, but I wished that I could have liked it even more.

- I'll probably think of more later! Oh... the mirror esseJ fight was a lot of fun. It is really hard to make a player-level enemy both fun and challenging to fight. They did about as good a job as can be done to make esseJ a match for the player. I enjoyed that part a lot.

Other stuff:

- Is it just me, or can every mode of the Service Weapon be upgraded except Pierce?

- While I didn't notice any real links to Quantum Break, Control did have several good links back to Alan Wake. Notably: The FBC investigated the Bright Falls incident. They even recovered a page from Alan Wake himself detailing his endless fate trapped in the lake. The FBC is also responsible for the Twilight Zone-ish Night Falls tv series. Essentially, Control reframes the events of Alan Wake as just one of many, many "Altered World Events" which is both really cool, and maybe just slightly sad that Alan Wake's story isn't as bizarre and unique anymore since the FBC sees events like it all the time.

- The song that plays during the Ashtray Maze is "Take Control" by Old Gods of Asgard. This is super significant, as we met two of the members of that band in Alan Wake and their song "Children of the Elder Gods" is what played during the awesome rock concert you have on stage as people possessed by the Darkness rush you on stage. At the very least, the existence of the Old Gods of Asgard helps further tie Control and Alan Wake into the same shared universe. There are some theories that all of Alan Wake is just the song / writing of Tor and Odin Anderson made manifest by the darkness trapped within the lake. That could add a new spin on their music being involved in Control.

- Some may find it tedious, but I really enjoyed Jesse's brief Hiss possession as an office worker. Not only was she in the role that her brother saw her in, her determination to break out of it was fun. I also like when developers force story points on players as long as they do so in a limited fashion. The segment here was just about perfect in length. Especially if you know you only have to do the three task one time each and then maybe one task a second time.

Overall:

I enjoyed Control a lot. Enough to play it twice back to back. I think it's environments are just completely unmatched in all of gaming, it's world building is well above average, and its story got the job done, but didn't do much more than that. It's gameplay is pretty great and while generally easy, it makes you feel powerful and does have the occasional challenging boss fight. But, on a straight up emotional and cinematographic level, I don't think Control comes close to matching games like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice or the new God of War. There's just not enough emotion, or acting, or animation to really place it among the best of the best of the best, for me. It is very solid, but is a step down from even Remedy's previous two games in terms of story.

*Spoilers*

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 01, 2019, 09:07 (1692 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm just marking this whole post as spoilers, so I don't have to tag individual things.

First, regarding performance: Even on a One X it's not stellar. It's not awful, but there are some noticeable annoyances. FPS drops to the mid 20s or so during the bigger combat encounters. Still totally playable, but its very noticeable. Leaving the regular menu was fine, but if I actually paused the game, the game would stutter for like 5 seconds when I started playing again. I also had issues with the map loading pretty frequently. Video playback was fine if I did it through the collections menu, but it stuttered and had audio sync issues if I was just watching it in the game world off a projector or whatever.

There was one that didn't play at all. It was an audio tape about Polaris. It's just completely blank, both in the world and when I played it through the menu. It was right before I entered the dump, I think.

Now, regarding story and characters. I never actually finished Alan Wake, so I can't compare (I'm looking for a copy, now, though!). I like the story overall more than Quantum Break, but I think a lot of that is just due to setting, world building, and presentation. The actual main story of Control doesn't have a whole lot going on. I think that's okay, though, and I liked where it ended up. I see where you're coming from on the character point. I think Trench and Darling were really interesting even though we never interacted with them. I actually really like the way that was handled. I quite liked Emily Pope. I do think there was opportunity to have some more interesting characters in the mix, but I really like what we got. Ahti was great every time he showed up.

You mentioned cutscenes, and I just have to say I quite like the way they did it. No, there's not a lot of flashy cinematography, but I really think that was a deliberate choice for the presentation, and it worked wonderfully for me. The close ups and Jesse's inner monologue really fit the tone of the game in a great way, in my opinion.

At the end of the day, the gameplay and the atmosphere carried this game and the story did what it needed to do to keep me going. The Oldest House is such a fantastic setting and play space, and there's so much room to grow into a sequel or an expansion if they want to (there's even that call from the Board that explicitly calls out an expansion, so I've got my fingers crossed).

I think my biggest disappointment (if you can really call it that) is the missed opportunities that the setting allows for. The Former fight (The Refrigerator quest that SkilUp spoiled in his video) was really cool and fun, as was The Anchor. esseJ was probably my favorite part of the whole game. It's difficult to make a good combat encounter against what amounts to a player character, but they pulled it wonderfully, I think. I honestly wanted to explore a whole lot more of the mirror world--they could have done some really interesting things, there! I wanted more interesting boss style encounters like esseJ, The Former, The Anchor, etc. I still haven't done the Mold stuff yet, and I haven't gone and faced Tommasi yet. I also still have the quest to find that one guy's squad and to cleanse those objects.

I do also wish there had been at least one section with more of a horror element. They leaned really heavily on weird, and sometimes even creepy, but I wanted one section of the Oldest House to turn into Resident Evil 2 for like an hour.

As I predicted, Control is a game that I just wish was much bigger than it is. I just want to keep exploring The Oldest House and finding weird stuff and cleansing objects.

Oh, I also really loved the Ashtray Maze. That section was amazing. The music was great and really nailed the atmosphere as I rushed through the maze and smoked a bunch of enemies.

I did really enjoy the final sequence, fighting up to Dylan, when the Board supercharges your powers, just one-hitting wave aver wave of enemies with Launch. Was a nice change of pace from the typical final combat sequences in a lot of games.

*spoilers*

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, September 04, 2019, 20:44 (1688 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Another track by the Old Gods of Asgard, Balance Slays the Demon, has a backwards message:

"It will happen again, in another town. A town called Ordinary."

There are also many references to the Old Gods of Asgard in Quantum Break. It's quite the interesting web they're weaving.

*spoilers*

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 04, 2019, 21:27 (1688 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Another track by the Old Gods of Asgard, Balance Slays the Demon, has a backwards message:

"It will happen again, in another town. A town called Ordinary."

There are also many references to the Old Gods of Asgard in Quantum Break. It's quite the interesting web they're weaving.

Sam Lake also tweeted that exact phrase seven years ago:

God I loved this game.

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 12:01 (1686 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This might be the first time I've ever felt such a hunger for more content after finishing a game. I want to keep exploring this world so badly.

Control--Threshold Kids

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 02, 2019, 17:33 (1690 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just wanted to posted this because I freaking love it. Control rules.

NO INTERRUPTIONS!

Control--Threshold Kids

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 03, 2019, 03:18 (1690 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Of all the things that make me uncomfortable in this game, the Threshold Kids take the cake, by quite a margin. And that's saying something.

Action Adventure

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 05, 2019, 10:29 (1688 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How much action, and how much adventure? This popped up on my radar on an adventure game website but it looks very action to me.

Action Adventure

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 05, 2019, 12:17 (1688 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How much action, and how much adventure? This popped up on my radar on an adventure game website but it looks very action to me.

It’s an action game first and foremost. That action is really great, but I think a lot of people have overstated the adventure aspect. I think that part of the game is excellent. There are a lot of side things you can do that feel substantial, but even those boil down to playing more of the action game. People have gone as far as calling it a metroidvania, and that’s asinine. It sets an expectation that Control does not meet. Control is not trying to do that, but the comparison has been made, so I suspect some people will leave disappointed.

Remedy's new game, Control

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 11:08 (1685 days ago) @ cheapLEY

First - I've not read ANY of this thread.

Second - I've got this itch...

:P shut up

... from long ago in the distant land of only ONE Xbox.

There was a game that, like a few of that era, ended on a cliffhanger never to be seen again. This game was "Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy". It was a "psychic" game, where you could do Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis, Astral Project, all that jazz. I really enjoyed that game, and nothing else I've played has really pulled off the whole "psychic" thing as well as this game had.

For context, here are some decade old Spoilers. Psi-Ops ends with a big psychic battle between my player, and a master at Telekinesis. He threw the senate at me, if you will, but I recall it was at a truck stop? Gas Station? Train Hub? ... whatever. Point is, big psychic battle, the likes of which I've never played again.

Well... I don't quite recall where I saw it, probably in E3, where I saw (I think) this...

[image]

SOLD!

I'm getting the game this week. I want to temper my expectation. Will this game scratch that long festering "psychic" video game itch, through both mechanics and gameplay, or should I temper my expectations?

A Yes or No will suffice at minimum. Thank you.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 12:48 (1685 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I will say “maybe.”

The powers feel really great. There aren’t a lot of them, though. If you like throwing stuff around and causing lots of destruction, though, this game has you covered.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 08, 2019, 13:28 (1685 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And damn me if they don't feel smooth as hell using

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 14:42 (1685 days ago) @ ZackDark

They did some sort of amazing prioritization for what you pick up. I feel like I pretty much always grabbed the exact thing I wanted, even if f I wasn’t really aiming at it.

The fact that you just rip chunks off of the ground or walls when there’s nothing else around is so obvious in hindsight, but it still feels like a revelation. It would have felt terrible if at any point you pressed the button and didn’t pick up anything.

Expansions.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 09:53 (1682 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Here’s a brief overview of what’s coming to Control…

First up, while some crafty PC players “unlocked” their own versions of this already, we are working on a much-desired Photo Mode, which will enable you to take some awesome snapshots of Jesse in the Oldest House. Make sure you unlock all of her costumes to flex by the time the Photo Mode arrives this fall. We’ll have more information on this soon.

New Game Mode
In December, we will release a new game mode for Control that we are currently calling Expeditions. This will be a challenging new end-game mode in which Jesse must help Security Chief Arish explore the mysterious Formation and its strange surroundings. Here you will face the some the greatest challenges that the Oldest House can throw at you. You will need the best gear and abilities to survive. Expeditions is free for all players.

Expansions
Moving ahead to 2020, there will be two full, paid expansions that our team is hard at work creating: The Foundation and AWE. Both of these will offer new story missions, enemies, and game mechanics, and take place in new locations within the Oldest House.

The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird.

The second expansion, AWE, will take Jesse into a new part of the Oldest House, the Investigations Sector, where the Bureau closely examines Altered World Events.

Also... does that second expansion's image remind you of anything... like maybe...

[image]

Expansions.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 10:28 (1682 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This all sounds great!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 19, 2019, 11:23 (1674 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Any one here ever wonder... "Ya know... if I made a game, it would have..." and then you make a checkbox list?

This game, "Control" is the 2nd time (the first one was the ORIGINAL Mirrors Edge) that I've had an experience where I've witnessed ideas checked off in so thoroughly a fashion. So if that doesn't make it any more clear, yes. Fun was had.

Yet here is where it gets interesting, and unless you play this game in its "inhale to exhale", you will not understand what I say. This game has NO story. It has no beginning and no end. The weave from point to point, its "time" if you will, is atmosphere. A Being? A Somewhere? The Oldest House would have it no other way.

It's The Addams Family Manson and Hogwarts Castle. The Twilight Door mocking any assumption. The Mulder to any Scully. Yet you still might not understand.

Let me clear my throat. *̴C̴o̸u̵g̶h̴*̵ *̸̘̓̌͒C̸̦͗͝o̶̬̬͎̚u̵̹̬̺͂̊̋g̷̢̠̚h̶̹̅͠*̵̢͗̑̋̅̕

Ah. That's B̷̯̪͔̲́̀̈̒̇̈́͝È̸̮̖̣̾͝T̷̢͔̼͇̺̰̯̙͆͂̏̏̉̍̒̎͐̏ͅȚ̴̻͖̫͇͉̣̥̻͉̳͊́̃Ḙ̶͚̦̱͒͑͂̀͑̅̚͠͝R̷̰̘̘̦͍̲̥̽̊. Story is about change in someway (even fighting it), and for this... despite apprentices, there was no change. In The Oldest House, there are no paradoxes, only possibilities. Or would that be the lodge? I say without typo; Why would you want to leave? You have always were here, and there is no where else. There is no place like home. The story is about keeping it that way. There is no story. Like a chain on a bike, there is no story.

Keep it to togetḩ̵̝̣̏́̇͝ḛ̴̢̆̑r̴̞̿̎͠ ̸̣̎̇ ̸̬̞͌k̶͙̤͖̉͒̎̋é̶̮͈͌e̸̮͗͒͝p̴̡͕̬̓̉ ̸̪́i̸̩̍̽̾̌t̸͎̥̉̎̌ͅ ̶̹̗̥̃͋͜ ̴̼͗̌̾̚t̸̩̏͋̋ó̷̥̫͙̠̓͘ğ̵̛̱̬̌̆é̶̮̗̩͚̉t̷̟̟͉̅̀̈́̾́̐̕h̵͍͉̀̑e̶̞̱̙͎̭̝͛̒̈̔̏r̷̪̺̖̉ͅ ̵̢̼̼͉͖̿͋̄̈́̏̏k̶̤͆̿e̷͕̗͉̪͉̠̥̔̍̽̓ę̴͉̹̜̤́̈́́̈́̅͜p̵̯̩͙͌̈́́̐̑͜͝ ̷͉̩̝̈ĭ̷͉͖̟̈́̄͂̕͠t̵̨̩̥̘̱͚̍ ̴̨̰͇̟̥̦̲̊͋͌̾͊̏̅t̵͖͓͋ͅò̸̘ ̶̞͖͉̏̅̅̓̂͠P̷̘̜̈́̀̀̐h̴̨̜͉̜̱͕̣́͐̈́'̵͓̱̒͛̓̿̋̕͠ḡ̷̗̰l̷̪͊ŭ̶͇̲i̶̜̦̤̋ ̴̢͈͖̾m̶̢͕̺͈̓͠g̵̖͇̠̣̿l̷͓͈̟̋͋͜w̴̜̄̊̈́'̷̈́̋̈́̈́͜n̴̢̢͌̂ǎ̷̮͚͔̲̍͠f̶̙͔̂͆h̴̘̪͂ ĝ̶̞̣ḷ̶̈́ú̶̠̯͋ì̵̥̑ ̵͕̽m̸̠̑g̵̗̏͗l̶̪͕̒͠w̶̞̋'̴͚͕̎n̷̦͍̿̚a̴̪̎̕f̶̞̏ȟ̸̡͍ ̵̱̟̋̽[̵̃͜s̴̜̻͒i̶͕͍̋̃z̸̡̟͒͆ė̴͈̰̅=̴̣̺̓̑l̴̤͗͝a̷̭̝̐r̵̘̆g̶̗͇̈́ẹ̵̈́]̷͉̟̅̋.̵̙̠͝.̸̦͛.̷̬̳̃ ̷̤̼͌̾-̵͖͛-̸̦̌́-̵̩͆̓ ̶̹͇͗͘.̴̼̪̈́͊.̵̩̿.̸̪̎[̵͍͋/̶̢͆͐s̴̞̋i̵̬̜͊̈z̵͈͘ê̶͖̼͗]̸̣̓
̷͓͆͜

You have always been the Director, just like those before you.

Director.

“Children will always be afraid of the dark, and men with minds sensitive to hereditary impulse will always tremble at the thought of the hidden and fathomless worlds of strange life which may pulsate in the gulfs beyond the stars, or press hideously upon our own globe in unholy dimensions which only the dead and the moonstruck can glimpse.”
“Supernatural Horror in Literature”
Lovecraft H P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread