Seasons in Destiny 2's Third Year [Director's Cut IV] (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:19 (1674 days ago)
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:26

You beat me to it!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:41 (1674 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:51

But only because I was doing a summary. Good thing I checked before I posted!

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48097

There's not really an easy way to break down what he said, so I'll just pick some stuff to highlight, but you should absolutely go read it all.

Seasons will now be more connected and serve to push the narrative of Destiny forward. The events of one season will lead into the next. Seasonal activities will go away the end of the season, but any weapons will still be obtainable afterwards somehow (though not necessarily immediately after the season ends).

He also talks a bit about power and rewards:

We all love the chase—that perfect roll!—but we all play differently. Year 3 will add more transparency and predictability while still giving you the RNG option for the unexpected gear or roll you didn’t know you loved until you got it.

[image]

While leveling up and unlocking mods, you will also increase the Power of the Artifact, which will continue increasing until the end of the Season (yes, it is uncapped). Artifact Power adds directly to your overall Power and is account-wide. We are both excited, and a little terrified, to see how high players will manage to raise their Artifact Power during the Season.

And, introducing Season Pass Ranks:

[image]

That’s why we’ve added 100 ranks to earn each Season, with Free and Premium track rewards, plus a UX design that’s intuitive and familiar if you play other games. Unlike those other games, you’ll make progress by earning XP doing the things you’re already doing in Destiny—defeating monsters and completing bounties and activities. This is about a new additive layer of predictable rewards for just playing the game.

Season Pass owners get access to a new seasonal activity, the Vex Offensive, which includes:

• Four Legendary Weapon drops
  • Additional weekly and daily bounties
  • Additional weekly challenges with powerful rewards
  • A new weapon quest for an Exotic Bow, Leviathan’s Breath
    • Exclusive to Season Pass owners

• A new Exotic Hand Cannon, Eriana’s Vow
    • Awarded on Rank 35 of the free track
    • Awarded on Rank 1 of the premium track

• Three seasonal Legendary armor sets (one for each class)
    • Collect a complete set during the first 25 ranks of the free track
    • NOTE: This is a change from the Annual Pass, where you were required to purchase gear from the Season.
    • On the premium track you get all three sets on Rank 1
    • These also drop within the Vex Offensive seasonal activity
    • If you want versions with higher stat tiers, you’ll need to play Vex Offensive to earn them

• Some additional premium track rewards:
    • Three universal ornament armor sets (one for each class)
    • An Exotic weapon ornament for Eriana’s Vow
    • Two Legendary weapon ornaments
    • A new finisher
    • An Exotic emote
    • An Exotic ship

He talks about being able to buy ranks. They are going to do this, but plan on letting people buy ranks within the last 2-4 weeks of the season--they don't want people to just buy all the ranks right up front, and instead want people to actually just play the game. But they also want to allow folks to get all the rewards if they want them.

This next bit is particularly interesting, and I really hope it's not writing a check Bungie isn't prepared to cash. Looking back at Season of the Forge if they could rework it:

A week before the Season begins, all players receive a note in their mailbox. It simply reads: “I have returned from the stars. Meet me on Dec. 4 at 10:15 AM PST. —Ada” Once this note has been given out, a small countdown timer appears on the Traveler. When the timer reaches 0, players in the Tower see a ship unlike any they’ve ever seen land between Zavala and Lord Shaxx. A figure transmats out and walks through the Tower, opening a door that had long been shut. Players follow the character through the Tower and the figure lowers her hood and greets players, “I am Ada, and we have work to do.”

The Season Pass in the Director is updated, the rewards are revealed, and now Ada and players begin a Season-long experience of refining forges in the world, completing bounties, finding materials, working on Black Armory armor sets, and taking on the new raid, Scourge of the Past. In a twist, Datto and his group are the first to finish.

As players work together to forge weapons early in the track, smithing and building new ones, the room around Ada begins to change. The schematic data from players’ work is resulting in new weapons and mods for players to create. These weapons and mods don’t all require playing the Seasonal activity—some of them are found in new encounters within strikes, some of them are forged in Last Wish (like the Alchemy Lab in Blackwing Lair).

As the player community plays, meta objectives are revealed. Once a certain number of players have unlocked ranks on the Pass, cinematics unlock for everyone to watch. We see the Drifter and Ada arguing over something pitting the two against each other, the scene ends with Drifter raising an eyebrow at a set of gun schematics behind Ada.

As the Season winds to a close, the Drifter begins to summon players to him. He’s having a new space built in the Tower, and the first people he asks for help are those who’ve earned the title of Dredgen. Now players begin to gather materials and donate them to fund the Drifter’s new scam. The Drifter won’t stop talking about the gun schematics he saw behind Ada.

Very late in the Season, players notice Ada’s room looks like it’s being packed up. She’s leaving. The schematics that sat behind her are missing. Over the course of a few weeks, she packs her equipment and, in an event similar to her arrival, she vanishes. Ada, her wares, and her forges are gone.

Banshee-44 reminds players that even though Ada is gone, she left him the schematics for her weapons and armor, and he’ll be rotating them through over time.

And the Drifter asks you to visit him, saying he’s got a surprise…

He then follows up with:

And while today, the “Let’s Pretend” section above is very much a work of fiction, we are working to build the technology that would make something like this possible and help make our Season Pass feel uniquely Destiny.

Womp womp.

I actually like the sound of a lot of this. I'm not a huge fan of buying seasonal ranks. It feels scummy to prey on fear of missing out. But I really love the idea of a seasonal progression system and feeling like we are actually doing things together to move the world forward.

I've had the same. Nice write up!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:43 (1674 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

You beat me to it!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 11:49 (1674 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t think it’s so much “fear of missing out” so much as “what the hell, Bungie, are people that can play 12 hours a day the only ones that matter to you?” I’m in that “real life comes before Destiny” state now, so concessions like this feel absolutely fantastic to me! Basically, wasn’t fear of missing out anymore. It was goals that were 100% completely incompatible with real life. So, I’m glad they appear to be looking to smooth some of that?

Now, I predict the streamers, redditors, and other play-all-dayers are prepping their orange-red level hissy fits. Hopefully Bungie sticks to this plan rather than backing down once the accusations of Play To Win start getting thrown around.

Forstiny? Destnite?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, August 30, 2019, 05:54 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It sounds like they are actually adopting a progression system like Fortnite where you gradually unluck things throughout the season. Same with the "live events" like Ada's ship arriving. This is something I've been wanting for a long time because a player a like me who isn't grinding for that pinnacle piece, I can still have a roadmap to work towards at my own pace.

My Impression: TL;DR - "Turns out, *People* play this game."

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 12:05 (1674 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Alt title - "Well... Shoot"

I was SO CLOSE to being finished my "little" directors cut write up. Now Luke comes in here and starts saying stuff that makes me feel feelings and such. IT'S HORRIBLE!

It sounds, reading this, like they are finally doing (or are able?) what has been already said. I'm pretty sure this was the sell back in the Destiny 1 Beta. In essence "No matter your work and life balance, we want you to have some fun in Destiny". But does this mean, as I mention in my "little" write up, that they are going to -FINALLY- to any extent, get the game out of it's own darned way?

We all love the chase—that perfect roll!—but we all play differently. Year 3 will add more transparency and predictability while still giving you the RNG option for the unexpected gear or roll you didn’t know you loved until you got it.

Progression, or How Differently You All Play Destiny
For many of us, Destiny 2 is a regular hobby, but how that hobby fits in with our lives is different. We have players who play every day, we have players who have 10–15 hours a week, and we have players who log in for whatever time they can spare. Every season, Destiny 2 will change, and the community working on changing the world together means that we want all of our community to be able to be a part of it.

But again, all of you play Destiny 2 differently, and when we say we want the whole community to be part of how the world changes every season, we keep coming back to giving players the choice of how they want to spend their time. ...

Hope. Ueeh.... hope. Bleh. Bah-Humbug.

The other overall topic is basically a building of expectation for how Destiny 2 is going to change. "F" for those of you with FOMO. No real thoughts about this for the moment, mostly because they are all occupied with the main topic mentioned.

tl;dr Bungie finally caves to Korny's "persistence" demands.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, August 29, 2019, 13:58 (1674 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Luke almost quotes my plea directly with his “you had to be there when….” quote.

Glad we could come to an agreement, Bungie.

Sounds almost exactly like the Warframe-esque events that I've been begging for since "Eyes of Blight", only extended to last for three months at a time. It's definitely a great step forward. Here's hoping they can keep the ambition and content coming, though the Artifacts sound like a win-win for casuals and hardcore folks alike.

Pinnacle Weapons

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 30, 2019, 21:51 (1672 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I read through this again earlier today and caught something that I had missed.

In the bullet list of things that all players will get was this:

Two new pinnacle weapons: one for Gambit and one for Crucible

No Vanguard Pinnacle Weapon this time around? I can't pretend I'm upset about not having to grind a bunch of strikes again, but I love Loaded Question and Wendigo, so no new Vanguard weapon is sort of a bummer.

Pinnacle Weapons

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 30, 2019, 22:06 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I read through this again earlier today and caught something that I had missed.

In the bullet list of things that all players will get was this:

Two new pinnacle weapons: one for Gambit and one for Crucible

No Vanguard Pinnacle Weapon this time around? I can't pretend I'm upset about not having to grind a bunch of strikes again, but I love Loaded Question and Wendigo, so no new Vanguard weapon is sort of a bummer.

The Vanguard one may be tied to their new seasonal paid activity, which is why it’s not listed with the free stuff.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread