Night in the Woods developer Alec Holowka dies (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 01, 2019, 10:00 (1698 days ago)

A few days ago there was an outpouring of allegations against many folks in the games industry regarding rape and sexual assault. One of those named was Alec Holowka, one of the main developers of Night in the Woods. I really really liked this game, and I read the accounts of his abuse which were pretty horrible so I was very sad.

Following the allegations the publisher cut ties with him.

Then he killed himself.

I feel like I have to personally vet every studio / developer now when I buy a game and it fucking sucks. Why can't people just be decent.

Night in the Woods developer Alec Holowka dies

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 01, 2019, 11:13 (1697 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, September 01, 2019, 11:18

Damn. What a sad story. I saw the accusations against Jeremy Soule, but I hadn’t seen this one.

But, hey, at least some dipshits are trying to bring a zombie version of Telltale back and are offering former devs highly lucrative freelance positions with the possibility of full time positions “someday.”

Seriously, fuck the video game industry.

Night in the Woods developer Alec Holowka dies

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, September 03, 2019, 09:59 (1696 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Scott Benson wrote some more about it here:

https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

:-(

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 03, 2019, 11:21 (1695 days ago) @ narcogen

Scott Benson wrote some more about it here:

https://medium.com/@bombsfall/alec-2618dc1e23e

This is hitting me pretty hard.

He hung out at my flat in London once. I think it was late 2013 if I remember correctly. He was relatively chill but I gathered that he had some issues that he was working through.

I'm so sad for all of his victims and I'm sad that this is the way it ended for him.

Take care of yourselves everyone.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread