Don't get the FF8 Remaster (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 06, 2019, 18:58 (1686 days ago)

I did a quick check since FF8 is the best Final Fantasy, and of course the remaster is shit:

1. The original had a 15fps cap in battle, but the menus ran at 60fps. So the Renzokuken indicator always scrolled buttery smooth. The remaster has 16(?!) fps cap in battle, so you get constant jitter since 16 doesn't divide evenly into any TV refresh rate. But worse, the menus update at 16fps now. So Renzokuken is fuck hard to nail now since it's a high latency mess.

2. NO ANALOG CONTROL. WTF IS THIS 1997?! FFS the original had analog control!!

3. The backgrounds are not upscaled at all. You get nice sharp clean models over a shitty low res background, which ruins the aesthetic. Like, seriously. There are so many really high quality upscalers there days, and the machine learning ones look fucking great. Filter that shit.

Skip it. Just replay the PS1 original. The 'remaster' is shit, so don't waste your time or money. If you remaster a game, you owe it to at least be as good as the original. This is worse.

#CodyMillerIsObjectivelyWrong

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 06, 2019, 19:56 (1686 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did a quick check since FF8 is the best Final Fantasy...

XIII.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 06, 2019, 20:02 (1686 days ago) @ Ragashingo

VI is the only FF that even matters.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 10:45 (1685 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 10:49

I did a quick check since FF8 is the best Final Fantasy...

XIII.

The Cody List if you must know. Main games only:

Great
1. FF 8
2. FF 7
3. FF 13
4. FF 6

Good / ok
5. FF 9
6. FF 12
7. FF 10

Bad
8. FF 4
9. FF 5
10. FF 3
11. FF 2
12. FF 1

Complete shit with no value at all
13. FF 15
14. FF 14
15. FF 11

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 21:49 (1685 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd argue that XIII-2 should be considered a standalone game in its own right, since it's so vastly different from XIII. It's basically a Pokemon game with a great monster training aspect, and I didn't really care that I never finished XIII.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 08:54 (1684 days ago) @ Korny

I'd argue that XIII-2 should be considered a standalone game in its own right, since it's so vastly different from XIII. It's basically a Pokemon game with a great monster training aspect, and I didn't really care that I never finished XIII.

I finished XIII, but XIII-2 I was only able to last a few hours with. It was so boring and dumb.

I am glad the subject is still accurate.

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, September 08, 2019, 01:35 (1685 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Sorry, can’t hear you over my love of Quistis.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 09:41 (1685 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Sorry, can’t hear you over my love of Quistis.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 07, 2019, 10:41 (1685 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread