Switch (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:28 (1677 days ago)

I tried the switch before and it was terrible.

But the Switch Lite actually looks ok. It has a real dpad, and looks like it doesn’t feel cheap. Has anyone used it? If so let me know how it feels. The Link’s Awakening remake is fast approaching, and if the lite is anything like the 2DSXL it might be worth buying.

I’d like impressions of the feeling and controls. I haven’t found any demo units to try.

It kind of sucks the lite can’t be docked though, because I would probably play both ways if the joycons on the full switch were not absolute shit.

Switch

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2019, 11:50 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’ve seen reports of Link’s Awakening having very noticeable performance issues.

Switch

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2019, 12:21 (1677 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve seen reports of Link’s Awakening having very noticeable performance issues.

In handheld mode you mean?

Switch

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2019, 13:38 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, just in general. Heard it’s about the same whether it’s docked or not.

Switch

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2019, 17:12 (1677 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No, just in general. Heard it’s about the same whether it’s docked or not.

I… hope this is addressed in the final release.

Switch

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2019, 17:32 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Me too.

Apparently the E3 build was really bad, and the review or preview copies that are being played are pretty significantly improved but still not perfect. Hopefully it continues to improve for release.

Switch

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2019, 20:09 (1677 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me too.

Apparently the E3 build was really bad, and the review or preview copies that are being played are pretty significantly improved but still not perfect. Hopefully it continues to improve for release.

How does this happen? The GB original was 60fps always. The switch is like, 9000x more powerful. How can you take such a simple game and not fit it within the performance envelope of your target system?

Switch

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2019, 20:15 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Me too.

How does this happen? The GB original was 60fps always. The switch is like, 9000x more powerful. How can you take such a simple game and not fit it within the performance envelope of your target system?

I am honestly baffled. Nintendo is usually great at this aspect of making games.

I hope it ends up running well.

Switch

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 19, 2019, 15:32 (1674 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me too.

I am honestly baffled. Nintendo is usually great at this aspect of making games.

I hope it ends up running well.

Nope!

Double buffer Vsync so frequently the frame rate is cut in half. But the worse part? The game has 8 way movement instead of infinity way analog movement, but it DOESNT HAVE DPAD SUPPORT. This is beyond incompetent! The analog stick completely sucks for digital movement. Uggggggggh.

Switch

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 19, 2019, 17:46 (1674 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Disappointing, but nothing I saw in that video is anything that would affect my enjoyment of the game.

I've never played Link's Awakening, so I'm excited to give it a go. I love that art style. The framerate is a shame, but it's not a deal breaker.

Cody, check this out: (CRT monitors and modern games)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 16, 2019, 20:14 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is completely unrelated, but I didn't want to start another thread, and I thought this might interest you.

Long story short, the Digital Foundry guys have been playing around with modern games on CRT displays. The Sony FW-900, in particular, as it's still a 24" HD display.

I want to try this so badly, now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2019, 21:25 (1677 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, September 16, 2019, 21:35

I want to try this so badly, now.

So he says the 1080p CRT looks better than a 4K OLED…

#codywasright

Why are we doing 4K again? They say it themselves… they can max out all the graphical effects by not playing in 4K.

But I wouldn't want to play on that. It's only 24 inches. CRT tech is indeed great, but the weight and depth of a decent size display is the real killer. The 32 incher I have for old games was very difficult to transport.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 05:02 (1677 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You just stirred up memories of my local Halo crew trudging across the lawn with this CRTs on a Friday night.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread