Sayonara Wild Hearts--An Interactive Pop Album (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 20, 2019, 20:47 (1673 days ago)

Yesterday Sayonara Wild Hearts was release on PS4 and Switch (and Apple Arcade, I think?).

I just played about forty minutes of it, and I really love it.

It offers almost nothing in terms of challenge. It's a very rudimentary version of Rez in some ways. You move around the screen to collect hearts, and sometimes you press a button when prompted. It doesn't sound all that captivating, but . . .

The art style is incredible. It's really striking. Just a joy to look at.

The music makes the game, though. It's the entire point. The game is broken up into levels. Three or four levels in a row are sort of themed together. The first ones in each theme are smaller with good music without vocals. The final level of the theme culminates in a sort of boss fight with a fully voiced pop song (the three I've played so far have been pretty good songs!).

If you like pop music and are okay with gameplay that's not really challenging and very laid back, absolutely check this game out. I think it's like $12.

It's not an easy game to describe, so here are some videos.

Yeah on iPhone try it with the free trial of Arcade

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 21, 2019, 09:10 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Later this month Arcade will be on iPad and Apple TV though if you want to wait to start your trial

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 21, 2019, 12:46 (1673 days ago) @ Xenos

Later this month Arcade will be on iPad and Apple TV though if you want to wait to start your trial

Between this and the Xbox game pass thing nobody is ever going to own games anymore!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, September 21, 2019, 23:28 (1672 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Between this and the Xbox game pass thing nobody is ever going to own games anymore!

I've read a bunch of takes on this lately.

Here's mine:

I don't actually give a shit. Except in very rare instances, I don't care all that much about replaying games. Half the games I do actually own could disappear forever tomorrow, and it wouldn't matter a bit. Games are increasingly online and connected to such a degree that "owning" them makes less and less sense anyway. What's a Destiny 1 disc get you at this point? Games are more and more becoming a time and place thing.

There are always exceptions to that (The Witcher 3, Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, etc).

I don't care about ownership all that much. However, I do worry what it does to an industry that's already full of dogshit labor practices. What happens to developers when games become ever more disposable because they're all available for a $10 a month subscription?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 22, 2019, 09:05 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't care about ownership all that much. However, I do worry what it does to an industry that's already full of dogshit labor practices. What happens to developers when games become ever more disposable because they're all available for a $10 a month subscription?

See the music industry. And developers can't make all their money with concerts with the music as a lead in, so I'm guessing we'll get more shit slimy microtransactions and subscription shit.

Yay!

Also, you said it yourself: half the games you buy you want to replay and keep forever.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 23, 2019, 07:21 (1671 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See the music industry. And developers can't make all their money with concerts with the music as a lead in, so I'm guessing we'll get more shit slimy microtransactions and subscription shit.

Yay!

Also, you said it yourself: half the games you buy you want to replay and keep forever.

Subscriptions don't bother me. The fact that there are so many competing subscriptions bother me. When it come to games, I'm actually playing more games because of Gamepass. Games I probably never would have come close to buying because I can play for a couple hours, if I like it, sure I'll keep playing it. But would I spend 50 bucks on Gears 5 even if people were saying it was better than the last couple but nothing mind blowing? Heck no. That could be said about music too. Hearing a 30 second snippet of a song on iTunes does almost nothing for me. In most cases, some of my favorite songs takes 2-3 full listens before I truly like them.

So yeah, I'm okay with having a giant library that I can pick and choose without a huge sink in cost.

Does it bother me that I don't have access to some games? Yeah, kinda. But not really. If I REALLY want to play a game, I can basically pay like 10 bucks to play that game for a month.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2019, 07:58 (1671 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Subscriptions don't bother me. The fact that there are so many competing subscriptions bother me. When it come to games, I'm actually playing more games because of Gamepass. Games I probably never would have come close to buying because I can play for a couple hours, if I like it, sure I'll keep playing it. But would I spend 50 bucks on Gears 5 even if people were saying it was better than the last couple but nothing mind blowing? Heck no. That could be said about music too. Hearing a 30 second snippet of a song on iTunes does almost nothing for me. In most cases, some of my favorite songs takes 2-3 full listens before I truly like them.

So yeah, I'm okay with having a giant library that I can pick and choose without a huge sink in cost.

Does it bother me that I don't have access to some games? Yeah, kinda. But not really. If I REALLY want to play a game, I can basically pay like 10 bucks to play that game for a month.

Man, there used to be this thing called a 'demo', where you get the first few levels of the game for free to see if you like it! No subscription fee required! Then you bought the game if you liked it! If you didn't, you weren't out anything but the time it took to try it out.

Either that, or you tried it out at a friend's or in the store to see if it was any good. You could give your games to your friends! It was amazing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 23, 2019, 08:12 (1671 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Man, there used to be this thing called a 'demo', where you get the first few levels of the game for free to see if you like it! No subscription fee required! Then you bought the game if you liked it! If you didn't, you weren't out anything but the time it took to try it out.

Yeah, demo's were great for users, terrible for developers. I've read many stories about having to basically create a demo from a games content just so user could try it out. You can't just cut off a slice of your game to make a Demo. Instead you had to custom create it, taking lots of man hours, and do it right before your game launched. I totally understand why demos don't exist anymore.

Either that, or you tried it out at a friend's or in the store to see if it was any good. You could give your games to your friends! It was amazing.

You can do all of those things except give games to your friends. But at the same time, if we all have subscriptions you really don't need to do that! Also, why give a game to a friend when you can just play with them instead? You can't share a single disk between two consoles.

I understand all of what you are saying, but at the same time, it's all nostalgia and doesn't exist in this day and age. I mean, I loved LAN parties, but again, that's not really a thing anymore.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2019, 08:52 (1671 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You can do all of those things except give games to your friends. But at the same time, if we all have subscriptions you really don't need to do that! Also, why give a game to a friend when you can just play with them instead? You can't share a single disk between two consoles.

Where does the money go?

10 bucks a month is two games a year. If you play more than that, someone is losing money. Do developers get paid every time someone plays? Do they get paid a piece of the pie split among everyone else?

If nobody is paying for your game directly, what real incentive do you have to make a great lasting experience?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 23, 2019, 09:01 (1671 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where does the money go?

10 bucks a month is two games a year. If you play more than that, someone is losing money. Do developers get paid every time someone plays? Do they get paid a piece of the pie split among everyone else?

Yeah, I bet you the average gamer doesn't buy 2 full priced games a year for Consoles. I know that solely for the fact that subscriptions have been going for a while and companies are collapsing. This year was the first time in a while I've bought 2 full priced games in a year. Destiny and Borderlands 3. Oh wait, Destiny was last year. So that debunks that. And I'm not certain, but I bet I'm an above average gamer.

If nobody is paying for your game directly, what real incentive do you have to make a great lasting experience?

Money does not equal incentive. I'm a software Engineer, I don't create great code because I'm paid money, I do it because I'm a perfectionist and I enjoy coding. I ask for more money to pay my ever increasing bills and to buy cool things.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 23, 2019, 09:47 (1671 days ago) @ Cody Miller

10 bucks a month is two games a year. If you play more than that, someone is losing money.

Not necessarily. I’ve played a handful of games on Game Pass this year. I wouldn’t have bought a single one of them if Game Pass didn’t exist. Those developers didn’t lose out on money I wasn’t going to give them anyway.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2019, 14:29 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

10 bucks a month is two games a year. If you play more than that, someone is losing money.

Not necessarily. I’ve played a handful of games on Game Pass this year. I wouldn’t have bought a single one of them if Game Pass didn’t exist. Those developers didn’t lose out on money I wasn’t going to give them anyway.

I'm genuinely curious here…

How would the game pass cause you to play game you otherwise wouldn't? If you have no desire to play them without game pass, what about having the pass suddenly makes them worth playing?

Why would you not use the game pass to only play games you actually want to play?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 23, 2019, 16:02 (1670 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you being serious right now? I’m genuinely flabbergasted if that’sa serious question. Not trying to be a dick, but it just seems so obvious to me.

Look at Gears 5. A very good game that’s ultimately just more Gears. It’s worth playing, but it’s not something I would have payed $60 for. I also played Outer Wilds on a whim. It’s a great game, and it is something I’d have probably bought, but there’s a pretty good chance I wouldn’t have even known about it without Game Pass.

I’ve been really getting into F1 lately. I also genuinely love racing games, but F1 is hugely different from Forza or Dirt Rally, so I wasn’t sure if I would like an F1 game. F1 2019 got great reviews, but I was still hesitant to spend $60 on it. Luckily F1 2018 is on Game Pass. I played it for a few days and decided it was worth spending the money for the new version.

I’ve also played tons of games I was interested in but ultimately didn’t like—games I would have bought, but would have wasted money on.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2019, 16:47 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, September 23, 2019, 16:50

So the issue is price.

But then why would you have never played theses games? They eventually drop in price in the bargain bin or used. That’s why I’m confused. Eventually they will hit the price you are willing to pay.

When you said you’d never have played them that is still unclear to me.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 23, 2019, 17:47 (1670 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So the issue is price.

But then why would you have never played theses games? They eventually drop in price in the bargain bin or used. That’s why I’m confused. Eventually they will hit the price you are willing to pay.

When you said you’d never have played them that is still unclear to me.

It must be wonderful to be omniscient!

I don't have game pass - but I have the equivalent for movies (streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO).

I watch movies on streaming services that I wouldn't even consider seeing in the theater. It has nothing to do with how good the movie is; I don't know, I don't really care. I'm just not willing to pay $15 for something that isn't something I've been waiting for. However, at home, on a service that I pay for whether I use it or not, the calculus is reversed; the more I watch, the more use I get out of the money I've spent. So I'll try lots of stuff that might be good and might not - it doesn't matter, it's all making the money I spent already go farther. (There's a hard limit on how much time there is to spend, of course.)

I would look at a game service like Game Pass exactly the same way.

I suppose that if I found a game that captured me the way the Halo games did, or the Destiny games, that I'd go out and buy it. (And probably let my Game Pass expire - the primary reason I don't have a Game Pass is because I'd be wasting money on it, given that 100% of my gaming time goes to Destiny, and I'm good with that.)

Bottom line, though - if I had a service that let me sample any game I wanted, I'd play a lot more games, because there's not a huge downside to doing so.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 07:44 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't have game pass - but I have the equivalent for movies (streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO).

I watch movies on streaming services that I wouldn't even consider seeing in the theater. It has nothing to do with how good the movie is; I don't know, I don't really care. I'm just not willing to pay $15 for something that isn't something I've been waiting for.

That's so different.

1. The price in the theatre never drops.
2. You have to go out to watch.

A game price drops, and you always play it in your home.

I wonder what would happen if you had the AMC movie pass though :-p

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 09:23 (1670 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I watch movies on streaming services that I wouldn't even consider seeing in the theater. It has nothing to do with how good the movie is; I don't know, I don't really care. I'm just not willing to pay $15 for something that isn't something I've been waiting for.

That's so different.

1. The price in the theatre never drops.
2. You have to go out to watch.

A game price drops, and you always play it in your home.

I wonder what would happen if you had the AMC movie pass though :-p

You mean the one they're cancelling because they couldn't make money with it?

(I thought seriously about it. The convenience of watching the movies at home, on my schedule, easily beat out the benefits of the pass (seeing them sooner and seeing them on large screens). I guess I'm too lazy for a pass. :) )

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 09:47 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Is AMC cancelling their program?

Movie Pass is ending, but AMC’s thing is different.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 09:52 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh - my bad. I thought Movie Pass was theirs.

Argument still stands, though; I'm too lazy. :)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 10:34 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oh - my bad. I thought Movie Pass was theirs.

Argument still stands, though; I'm too lazy. :)

MoviePass was amazing until it got slowly worse before they collapsed under terrible PR and probably huge debt. All the other movie pass type things done by the theatre giants are just not worth it. I like watching movies, but I am not going to see a movie every week to recoup the cost of the membership...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 10:40 (1670 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

MoviePass was amazing until it got slowly worse before they collapsed under terrible PR and probably huge debt. All the other movie pass type things done by the theatre giants are just not worth it. I like watching movies, but I am not going to see a movie every week to recoup the cost of the membership...

Well at least in LA you only need to see two movies a month to save money!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:23 (1670 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just checked - since January 1, I've seen 2 movies in theaters (one in late April, one in mid-June).

Yeah... not gonna happen. ;)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:38 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Just checked - since January 1, I've seen 2 movies in theaters (one in late April, one in mid-June).

That's about my rate. In the 90s I used to a buy a year-pass to a local theater chain. $150, pricey, but I went to the movies at least a few times a month, sometimes more, and you could take a friend.

Now 95% of movies suck. Honestly, I'm sick of CGI, Disney, and Marvel--even art house movies are formulaic.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:39 (1670 days ago) @ Kermit

That's about my rate. In the 90s I used to a buy a year-pass to a local theater chain. $150, pricey, but I went to the movies at least a few times a month, sometimes more, and you could take a friend.

Now 95% of movies suck. Honestly, I'm sick of CGI, Disney, and Marvel--even art house movies are formulaic.

You’re just old man. I’d say a good movie still comes out once every two weeks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:55 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:59

You’re just old man. I’d say a good movie still comes out once every two weeks.

Yeah, I am old and that was an old man thing to say. Yet there's truth in it. Let me amend it. On any given weekend, there is rarely anything at the theaters I'm interested in seeing, and it didn't used to be that way. I don't live in the boonies.

Now if I lived where you live, I could find something I wanted to watch every week or probably more often. My 95% number still might not be off when you consider Hollywood makes 400 to 500 a year, and that's just Hollywood. The calculus changes depending on what you can actually see in the theater. The runs of shorter because the audiences are smaller, and the theater experience can be shitty, even with reclining reserved seats--my theory is that as living rooms have become more like movie theaters, people act more like theaters are their living room. I love the Alamo Drafthouse, mainly because they seem committed to making movie-going an experience (and their aggressive no-talking/texting policy), yet last time I was there the guy next to me checked his phone several times, provided for-the-blind narration, and at one point brought out a crinkly bag full of snacks. (I came this close to reporting him, but had mercy at the last second.) I'm bummed because going to see movies used to be one of my favorite things to do, and now it's not. Some of that has to do with lack of selection, some not.

All that said, send me 20 good movies that came out this year--I'd like to know about them.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 16:05 (1669 days ago) @ Kermit

I’ll make a list sure. You just want theatrical releases?

Not necessarily.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 16:43 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:23 (1669 days ago) @ Kermit

I like a lot of new movies.

Going to a theater, however, is a fundamentally shitty experience. I’d rather just wait and watch it in the comfort of my own home.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:38 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Let me guess, End Game and Toy Story 4?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:33 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Half right.

End Game and John Wick 3.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:35 (1669 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Half right.

End Game and John Wick 3.

John Wick came out in May…

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 10:19 (1670 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You mean the one they're cancelling because they couldn't make money with it?

No that was moviepass.

Moviepass failed because they still paid the theatre the full ticket price, and had no way to make it up. The AMC pass works because AMC doesn't make a ton off each ticket anyway, making most of the money through concessions. So they can 'eat' the ticket cost, and probably make up for it when you buy popcorn more often.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 23, 2019, 18:04 (1670 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay, so "never" is a strong word, in some cases. But not in others. There's a very real chance I'd never play Gears 5 if it wasn't on Game Pass. By the time it's down to $20, would I even care enough anymore? Who can say? Now to mention: you know how many games I've completely forgotten about and just missed because I decided to wait for some future price drop? I don't, but it's probably a fairly large number.

I just look at it as getting to play a bunch of games for a low cost. Certainly it would have cost far more the yearly $120 for me to play every game I've tried on Game Pass so far. The fact is that demos basically no longer exist. The only way to try a game is to buy the damn thing. You can do that at full price or wait for a sale. Or you can pony up $10 a month and have access to a pretty good library of games on Game Pass.

Claude pretty much nailed it.

Are you also confused by Spotify or Netflix?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 07:45 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Okay, so "never" is a strong word, in some cases. But not in others. There's a very real chance I'd never play Gears 5 if it wasn't on Game Pass. By the time it's down to $20, would I even care enough anymore? Who can say?

I suppose this is true. By the time it reaches the price you are willing to pay, everyone might have moved on and the multiplayer will be empty, etc.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 23, 2019, 08:25 (1671 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can still buy games on discs.

You’re nostalgic for something that never went away. Just because the rest of us are moving towards something that is far more convenient, it doesn’t mean you have to. Every AAA game is available physically still.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2019, 08:53 (1671 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You can still buy games on discs.

You’re nostalgic for something that never went away. Just because the rest of us are moving towards something that is far more convenient, it doesn’t mean you have to. Every AAA game is available physically still.

…for now.

Also PC is pretty much 100% digital now. It's impossible to find physical versions, probably because nobody put bluray drives in PCs for some reason and nothing fits on a DVD anymore.

Apple TV now supports Xbox and Playstation controllers

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 11:33 (1669 days ago) @ Xenos

Tried both out last night. This greatly increases the likelihood of my using Apple Arcade.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 11:38 (1669 days ago) @ Kermit

Tried both out last night. This greatly increases the likelihood of my using Apple Arcade.

That's super cool. I might have to try it out as well.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 11:51 (1669 days ago) @ Kermit

I am 100% totally on board with Apple Arcade when it comes to Macs later in the month.

I'm just a mad at Apple they won't let me install iOS 13 on my iPhone 6. It's only five years old! They give you a new battery for cheap and then oh no your phone won't run shit anymore!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:04 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am 100% totally on board with Apple Arcade when it comes to Macs later in the month.

I'm just a mad at Apple they won't let me install iOS 13 on my iPhone 6. It's only five years old! They give you a new battery for cheap and then oh no your phone won't run shit anymore!

I mean it makes sense. The computational power of the 6 is almost nothing these days. How do you expect a dam not to break if you upgrade the flow of the river but not the dam itself?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:07 (1669 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I mean it makes sense. The computational power of the 6 is almost nothing these days. How do you expect a dam not to break if you upgrade the flow of the river but not the dam itself?

Because it's a fucking phone that I only use to talk, text, email, set timers, browse the web, and record audio. That's not a huge river, and it runs iOS 12 just fine!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:09 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because it's a fucking phone that I only use to talk, text, email, set timers, browse the web, and record audio. That's not a huge river, and it runs iOS 12 just fine!

Just because you use a portion of the river doesn't mean the entire river isn't flowing through your dam.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:22 (1669 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Just because you use a portion of the river doesn't mean the entire river isn't flowing through your dam.

TIL Cody is one of those curmudgeony 40-something year old boomers who expects any old technology to fit his needs.

Get with the times, old man.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:25 (1669 days ago) @ Korny

TIL Cody is one of those curmudgeony 40-something year old boomers who expects any old technology to fit his needs.

The lot with an old house in a city surrounded by high rises.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:34 (1669 days ago) @ Korny

No I just want dark mode without buying a new phone lol.

Well said

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:43 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 14:01 (1669 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dark Mode actually sort of sucks.

It doesn’t look great (text messages are still bright blue or green), and most apps don’t change anything. Maybe that will change going forward, but no app I have recognizes that dark mode is enabled and responds appropriately.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 06:32 (1668 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It doesn’t look great (text messages are still bright blue or green), and most apps don’t change anything. Maybe that will change going forward, but no app I have recognizes that dark mode is enabled and responds appropriately.

This isn't like inverted colors or anything. It's a manual change on core iOS apps themselves. Any third party apps won't have dark mode. However, with this whole thing, more and more apps are offering a dark theme which makes me happy.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 09:09 (1668 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

This isn't like inverted colors or anything. It's a manual change on core iOS apps themselves. Any third party apps won't have dark mode. However, with this whole thing, more and more apps are offering a dark theme which makes me happy.

If you are a third party app, you toggle a switch when you build and dark mode is supported.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 09:27 (1668 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you are a third party app, you toggle a switch when you build and dark mode is supported.

Yeah, but I'm sure that is only for certain items. You still have to custom make it and test it to make sure it's not wonky. I mean, that's what I'm guessing, I haven't actually developed for it or anything.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:38 (1668 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also keep in mind that many apps use their own custom UI that doesn't use the Apple supplied components and thus cannot just flip the switch to enable dark mode.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 09:59 (1668 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, I understand that.

As Cody said, if you already have a dark mode, it’s probably not that hard to check if it’s activated on the iOS level and respond appropriately.

My point was, until that happens and most apps support it, it’s functional useless anyway. Who gives a shit if the OS settings menu is dark when all my apps are going to open in bright white anyway.

It doesn’t even change the quick access menu that you pull up from the bottom at all, which is like the one thing I think would be most important.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 10:00 (1668 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh, I understand that.

As Cody said, if you already have a dark mode, it’s probably not that hard to check if it’s activated on the iOS level and respond appropriately.

My point was, until that happens and most apps support it, it’s functional useless anyway. Who gives a shit if the OS settings menu is dark when all my apps are going to open in bright white anyway.

You need to conform to the iPhone core apps more :D That or your third party developers do...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 10:02 (1668 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, I understand that.

You need to conform to the iPhone core apps more :D That or your third party developers do...

I would, but I like using functionally good apps. (:

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 10:13 (1668 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh, I understand that.

I would, but I like using functionally good apps. (:

Apps that aren't in dark mode aren't function for my eye balls.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:36 (1668 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm surprised. My iPhone SE runs IOS 13 fine. Looks like the 6S would run it fine too but the 6 got left behind.

*sigh*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, September 21, 2019, 14:31 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Naturally, it's on 3 platforms I don't actually have. Otherwise I'd probably be interested.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread