Thoughts on Shadowkeep so far. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 03, 2019, 16:02 (1665 days ago)

How is everyone liking it?

I think it's really neat so far.

Returning to the moon is definitely cool. As I said before, I think they've done a great job there. It's obviously familiar and feels like returning home in some odd way, but there's enough added spaces and gameplay elements that it feels fresh.

I really enjoyed the campaign. It was good blend of story missions and quests that took me out into the patrol zone to do activities and see what was going on. I find myself wishing there was a little more to the altar to make gear, although I like how streamlined it is compared to Forges.

I have a hard time parsing how Nightmare Hunts figure into the loop. As far as I can tell, you don't really get anything from them. Just some of those Essence things? They're neat activities, I just can't see why I'm supposed to be doing them.

It looks like Daily Powerful Rewards are gone. I think maybe it evens out now that you can get an extra by doing 8 bounties each from Zavala, Shaxx, and Drifter. I haven't even looked at the Dreaming City, but I suppose those are just Legendary rewards now, instead of Powerful.

I'm eager to see what the Vex Offensive stuff is. And I'm really eager to dive into the raid this weekend!

Armor 2.0 seems really cool. My only real gripe is that there is no way to see all your mods at once. If you have a mod that doesn't match the affinity of your armor, it just doesn't show up. So it's hard to plan out builds without even knowing what the hell mods I have access to. Seems like a massive oversight.

Finishers are cool. I love the fact the finisher mods cost super energy. It's a neat wrinkle in the combat loop that I hope they play with some more.

I love the hand cannon changes. Those animations are so much better!

Crucible Thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 03, 2019, 19:41 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played some Crucible today.

My initial impressions are that it's great! I played some Freelance Competitive--solo queues only in 3v3 Survival. I ended up with some really dunce teammates (why in that actual hell would you just stand out in the open when every single person on the enemy team is carrying either a Revoker or a Beloved? Seriously, these people were braindead). Still got a few wins though. I love 3v3 Survival. It feels really great--I can't wait to go in with a fireteam.

I also played some Clash and some Control. It's mostly the same, but the super game is much better. I took out a Striker Titan--by myself! He was just charging from across the map and I shot him to death. That wouldn't have been possible last week. Supers are easier to kill and don't happen as often, and it's great.

I'm not sure about Heavy spawn yet. I haven't really noticed it, to be honest. I haven't been killed by heavies a whole lot, although I've certainly picked it up much more than I would have previously. I used to leave the Heavy for someone else--I always ended up wasting it. Now I can actually grab some, which is cool. I was worried it'd be awful with the whole other team getting it, but I haven't seen many teams coordinate well so everyone can grab it. I have seen that Heavy spawn is more heavily contested now, though.

Overall, I really like the changes. I'm eager to play a whole lot more. I want to try Elimination in Crucible Labs, too!

Crucible Thoughts

by squidnh3, Thursday, October 03, 2019, 20:46 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Overall, I really like the changes. I'm eager to play a whole lot more. I want to try Elimination in Crucible Labs, too!

Claude, Nico, and I played Elimination for around 2 hours last night. It was a blast. The current iteration spawns heavy ammo in the center for every round, making fights very focused and quick. Not much else of the map gets used though, which is a shame for Widow's Court (which we only played once). This also means only 1 super per game and even that only if you are playing really well or there's back and forth with the rounds. Maybe a version alternating heavy/no heavy rounds?

Crucible Thoughts

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 01:13 (1664 days ago) @ squidnh3

Maybe a version alternating heavy/no heavy rounds?

They specifically were talking about it being in labs to try 4 combinations, 2 different Heavy Spawns and 2 different Player Respawns. I'd expect them to have the classic "3rd round heavy" as the alternate.

Crucible Thoughts

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 02:51 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Biggest thing that I've noticed with Crucible is that some of the general issues of solo queue are more severe with the new playlist structure. I'm sure that some of it will smooth out over time. Haven't taken the time to see if Classic Mix and the connection-focused matchmaking improves that, though.

Following that the changes to stats mean that, as it currently stands, I have much lower Resiliency and Recovery than I used to if I'm running 2.0. I haven't tried to find what the highest potential stat total is on a piece of gear, and I know the +2 with Masterworking will become a more major thing. But I feel squishier outside of my super, too.

I haven't run into too much that is out of the ordinary otherwise. I haven't popped Widow's Court yet. And I haven't gotten a legitimate game on Twilight Gap (join-in-progress and unbalanced teams only so far) so I can't really judge how it plays with the different sandbox. Fragment is very interesting. I think the layout is pretty aggressive, reminds me of Cauldron in that way. But it suffers the way many Vex-themed maps do by being visually kinda flat. I'm sure that will get better with time.

Only semi-related to Crucible, I'm really, really enjoying Arc Logic. I still feel very strongly that Auto Rifles deserve some love for PvP, but so long as I'm not matching sweats it does a fair amount of work. And with the War Rig buff and mine rolling with Moving Target/Triple Tap means that it fires a really, really long time.

Thoughts on Shadowkeep so far. (and questions)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, October 04, 2019, 08:16 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm barely into it but so far, I like it. It's a shock going up against enemies that don't immediately melt. I'm having to strategize, seek cover and plan my attacks which is fun. The battle against Omnigul was really fun and took me about 10 minutes because I was taking it super safe.

I enjoy how the quests are to collected specific pieces of armor, it's a good way to earn some powerful stuff instead of earning engrams.

The new triumph system is good the way they segment the progress.

It seems like everything loads faster, is it just me? The login screen, the pursuits panel, character window, it all just seems faster.

Can someone explain to me these unstable essence orbs you can pick up from hive, and why enemies have white orbs appear over their head during battle?

Also, does glimmer no longer deposit into your account from killing baddies? I've noticed glimmer laying on the ground that I have to pick up. Is this a new perk or something? Wassup.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 04, 2019, 08:24 (1664 days ago) @ ManKitten

Can someone explain to me these unstable essence orbs you can pick up from hive

The orbs grant you temporary bonus damage to Nightmares.

...and why enemies have white orbs appear over their head during battle?

That lets you know they're primed for a "finisher" move. On Xbox, it's left bumper for me, but I use an odd control scheme. On PC, it's "G" to perform a finisher.

Also, does glimmer no longer deposit into your account from killing baddies? I've noticed glimmer laying on the ground that I have to pick up. Is this a new perk or something? Wassup.

I think they reduced the amount that automatically gets deposited and maybe increased the amount that gets dropped to the ground. It's interesting seeing it scattered around, glowing in the dark areas of the moon.

-Disciple

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 04, 2019, 08:28 (1664 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I think they reduced the amount that automatically gets deposited and maybe increased the amount that gets dropped to the ground. It's interesting seeing it scattered around, glowing in the dark areas of the moon.

There was a brief period where I thought I was generating orbs from the enemies on gun kills, and I couldn't figure out how because nothing I had equipped was masterworked.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 11:41 (1664 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Per the patch notes you get less on a kill but all enemies have a chance of dropping chunks on kill. Overall it seems to be slightly faster glimmer gains so long as you are picking up the chunks.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 12:21 (1664 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You get much more from chests and activity completions now, too.

And, honestly, I really like seeing the glowy glimmer bricks all over the place. Some blueberries and I spent a few minutes killing all the enemies near the Hellmouth during one of those enemies move against each other events last night, and there was glimmer everywhere when we were done. It just looked cool.

Thoughts on Shadowkeep so far.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 04, 2019, 08:41 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Where I’m at:

I’ve completed the Shadowkeep campaign on 2 characters, and I’m half-way through it with my 3rd Character. All 3 characters are now in the 910-920 light range.

Campaign:

I really enjoyed the Shadowkeep campaign. This feels to me like the best job they’ve done at weaving a story between traditional campaign missions, a new location, patrol activities, strikes, and loot acquisition. The story missions themselves are some of the best that Bungie has made since the Halo days, IMO. I do also like the fact that the campaign isn’t particularly long.

That said, I’m finding the post-campaign situation a bit barren. I won’t get into spoilers here, but I was hoping for a Taken King or RoI situation where you complete the main story and then all these new subquests open up and spiderweb you around the new location. But unless I’m missing something, it just kinda ends once the campaign is over. You can continue to grind out more of the moon weapons, and there are collectables to hunt, but aside from that it’s looking like 2 of my characters are already pretty much done. I know we’ve got more stuff coming shortly with the Vex and the new raid, so it’s too early to say anything about whether or not there’s “enough to do”, but upon finishing the story, at that specific moment, I did find it a bit anticlimactic to realize there wasn’t a bunch more to see and do, at least for now.

The moon itself is great. Love it.

Finishers feel like something that should have been in the game since day 1. They just fit right in.

Hand cannons on console are great now (most of them... trying to fire Nation if Beasts feels like riding a bucking bronco right now).

Crucible:

Not much to say here yet, except that I played 13 games of the solo-que comp playlist and lost 11 of them... I don’t know what’s going on with matchmaking but in almost every single game I was matched with teammates who had no business getting matched against our opponents, or I was the one who was drastically outclassed by the other team. Hopefully it’s just a bit of bad luck. I love the 3v3 game mode, aside from the heavy ammo spawning every damn round. It blows my mind that anyone at Bungie would think “you know what comp needs? MORE HEAVY AMMO”. But whatever, lol. Also, that damn Pinnacle Scout Rifle is going to ruin my stats this season. Trying to get kills with scout rifles (to earn the gun) is like playing with 1 arm tied behind my back. And no, I wasn’t using a scout rifle during my comp matches, in case you’re wondering ;)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 13:49 (1664 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There is a follow on weekly quest line that is a follow on to the main quest. It isn’t as spiraling, but I don’t think that as a mark against it.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 13:54 (1664 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m with you there. Forsaken did that well with the Dreaming City, but I’m not sure whether it’s fair to try and use that as the standard. I sure wish it was!

Imagine if the Pyramid ship ended up being a mini-Dreadnaught style patrol zone after the campaign. I half expected that. Even if it didn’t turn into a patrol zone, I expected to spend more time in there, for it to amount to more.

What is the benefit of finishers?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 04, 2019, 08:49 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Outside of the mods to generate ammo (and the only one I have appears to just give you more primary ammo) I'm wondering why I'd waste the time it takes (let alone the bit of super) to do one?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, October 04, 2019, 09:05 (1664 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Outside of the mods to generate ammo (and the only one I have appears to just give you more primary ammo) I'm wondering why I'd waste the time it takes (let alone the bit of super) to do one?

The benefit I want is to look like a badass. My wishlist is to put finishers into crucible as melee kills from behind, just like in Halo Reach.

Also, I've never made a micro transaction purchase for cosmetic items in any game. However, if there were a Stone Cold Stunner-esque finisher that made the sound of shattering glass during the animation, I would dig deep into my wallet for that.

Make finishers like emotes and gimme gimme gimme!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:09 (1664 days ago) @ ManKitten

The benefit I want is to look like a badass. My wishlist is to put finishers into crucible as melee kills from behind, just like in Halo Reach.

Also, I've never made a micro transaction purchase for cosmetic items in any game. However, if there were a Stone Cold Stunner-esque finisher that made the sound of shattering glass during the animation, I would dig deep into my wallet for that.

Make finishers like emotes and gimme gimme gimme!

I never realized how much I want that until you just said it :)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:48 (1664 days ago) @ ManKitten

I just want to throw my gun. Or my ghost.

[image]

[image]

Solar Hammer Finisher XD

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 11:20 (1664 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 04, 2019, 09:07 (1664 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It's got significantly more range than a normal melee, so sometimes I use it just to save the last couple of shots. Also it's kinda fun.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 04, 2019, 09:30 (1664 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It’s based on a percentage of health damage and finishers ignore shields. So, if you get a shielded knight down to 35% health (or whatever the cutoff is) then have to hide, you can still finish the Knight even after its shields come back because finishers only look at health remaining, not health+shields.

Also, I have a nice Finisher Mod that restores my health for 1/10th of my Super. I find that very useful when combined with the ability to retreat then go back in and finish tough, shielded enemies.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:00 (1664 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It’s based on a percentage of health damage and finishers ignore shields. So, if you get a shielded knight down to 35% health (or whatever the cutoff is) then have to hide, you can still finish the Knight even after its shields come back because finishers only look at health remaining, not health+shields.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Very nice.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:36 (1664 days ago) @ kidtsunami

If you don’t equip a finisher mod, they don’t cost any super.

I have a mod that gives me an over shield for fifteen seconds when I do a finisher (though it costs a whopping 25% of my super!). Combine that with my new Hunter exotic helmet that regens my health and makes me invisible when I do a finisher, I think the usefulness becomes pretty obvious. And it’s tons of fun to wade into a mob, nearly die, do a finisher to get full health, overshield, and invisibility and keep going. Combined with my new throwing knife heavy play style to keep Monte Carlo topped up on ammo, and it’s ridiculously fun.

Got it, so the main benefits will come from perks

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:38 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:44 (1664 days ago) @ kidtsunami

In addition to what everyone else has already said, I’ll add 2 points:

• As soon as you trigger the animation, the enemy you’re finishing is “stun locked”. I’ve saved my own life several times by hitting a Hive major knight with a finisher right as he was about to bring his sword down on top of my head and kill me.

• This is extremely situational, but using finishers against exploding enemies (shanks/thrall/etc) knocks them back to a safe distance before they explode, so that can be helpful too. Bonus points if you knock the exploder backwards into a crowd of his own comrades ;)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:50 (1664 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

• This is extremely situational, but using finishers against exploding enemies (shanks/thrall/etc) knocks them back to a safe distance before they explode, so that can be helpful too. Bonus points if you knock the exploder backwards into a crowd of his own comrades ;)

Or spike a servitor into his comrades.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 11:21 (1664 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sounds like intimate knowledge of the exact nature of each action combined with various mods will really make for a complex metagame, assuming Bungie creates a healthy range of mods.

Nobody mentioned lost sectors - thought I'd throw in 2c

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:09 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The new moon lost sectors are great. They seem bigger and more complicated than most lost sectors to date, and (at least the first run through, when I was seriously underleveled) quite challenging. (I guess that's no longer true; my first run through Logistics took quite a while, because I was 30 or 40 levels below enemies, and playing cat-and-mouse was FUN. I ran through it last night so I could pick up the NASA emblem, and I was mostly annoyed that I had to hunt down every enemy to get doors to open. Still... the original sentiment - that they're bigger and more complicated, and that's good - still stands.)

Just before signing off last night, I decided to try and complete the Deathbringer quest (I wasn't sure if it was solo-able, but I figured I'd give it a shot, at least I'd have an idea of what needed doing if I needed to go back in with a fireteam). It was SUPER-satisfying to nail that one; it's almost the perfect combination of "damn, this is too hard" and "wait, lemme give that one more try, I think if I did X I might be able to get past Y". (Also, the gun is... crazy.)

Overall - I'm loving the nostalgia, especially since there are just enough changes that the memories are actually triggered more strongly. (Temple of Crota used to require a little bit of fancy flying to take a sparrow in; there was a rock ledge you had to fly up. At the start, we all walked. By the time we were done with D1, everyone was just hitting the edge perfectly and flying over. I come back... and someone has taken a bulldozer to the ledge. The LACK of a ledge actually brings back stronger memories than if it had still been there.)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:32 (1664 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I wrote it initial post like three times before I posted it. I can’t believe I forgot to talk about lost sectors. They’re great! They’re huge, and they were fun to fight through under leveled. I welcome bigger, more complex lost sectors!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 04, 2019, 10:38 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I wrote it initial post like three times before I posted it. I can’t believe I forgot to talk about lost sectors. They’re great! They’re huge, and they were fun to fight through under leveled. I welcome bigger, more complex lost sectors!

The “final” lost sector is almost like a story mission. Really enjoyed them all.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 04, 2019, 20:11 (1663 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Just before signing off last night, I decided to try and complete the Deathbringer quest (I wasn't sure if it was solo-able, but I figured I'd give it a shot, at least I'd have an idea of what needed doing if I needed to go back in with a fireteam). It was SUPER-satisfying to nail that one; it's almost the perfect combination of "damn, this is too hard" and "wait, lemme give that one more try, I think if I did X I might be able to get past Y". (Also, the gun is... crazy.)

I just did that quest at 908 power. Man, that was fun. I really loved that final fight. The Deathsong mechanic is really neat. Needed to be a bit of a shorter time limit, though, I think. Still, I hope it's a mechanic we see again!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread