MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! VEX INVADING THE MOON! NOT A DRILL! (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 10:28 (1659 days ago)

(THIS IS SOOOO F*n COOL! :D!!!)

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! VEX INVADING THE MOON! NOT A DRILL!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 13:12 (1659 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Sort of, but they went and fucked it up.

The random vex invasions are totally fine on their own, and very cool, but then Bungie went and built a quest step around them that makes them a pure and utter frustration.

Want to try the new 6-player matchmade activity? Well you can’t, not until you

a) find a vex invasion (they’re not indicated on the map in any way, and they’re not very frequent... think D1 public events),

b) hope that if you do find one, the Gate Lord boss is part of it (sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t), and

c) hope that if you find an invasion AND there’s a Gatelord, you’re also in an instance with other players, because you’re not likely to beat the invasion by yourself.

Ok, got all that? Now do it 3 TIMES.

Seriously, this is the kind of awful game design that just ruins an otherwise great idea. After an hour of driving around the moon looking for invasions, I’ve found 2 of them that had Gatelords, and both times I failed to kill it because the blueberries in the instance were off messing around on the other side of the Hellmouth and didn’t notice what was going on.

I can’t wait until I’m done this quest so I can enjoy these envisions as the cool world events that they are. I just hope we don’t see another quest step like this ever again.

On the bright side...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 13:38 (1659 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just played Vex Offensive. It’s really great. Loads of fun, and the location is gorgeous :)

On the flipside...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 14:47 (1659 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I had no issues at all, and when everything broke loose - it was a blast! All the stars aligned for a great experience. Sorry to see not everyone got the same... WHOA! As I did. I captured all of it, so maybe I'll add it here once I've uploaded it.

Battleground: Moon

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 22:20 (1657 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I had no issues at all, and when everything broke loose - it was a blast! All the stars aligned for a great experience. Sorry to see not everyone got the same... WHOA! As I did. I captured all of it, so maybe I'll add it here once I've uploaded it.

As I said, here is a clip. This cut is the main of the battle. It was at this moment that... oh I'll quote what I put down in the description.

It was at this moment that, for the slightest moment, this wasn't a game. It was an experience, and I found myself with a moment of awe. If this is a glimpse of your vision Bungie, then I for one am intrigued.

When I made this threads title... I was filled with awe. This is textual cosplay ya'll. Man... what a moment.

I had a different experience

by squidnh3, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 14:52 (1659 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

. After an hour of driving around the moon looking for invasions, I’ve found 2 of them that had Gatelords, and both times I failed to kill it because the blueberries in the instance were off messing around on the other side of the Hellmouth and didn’t notice what was going on.

Weird, I got this quest step and completed it almost instantly. I went right to Archer's line and had 3 Gatelords spawn right in a row. Actually, now that I think about it it must be a progression event, because at the end a big Hydra spawned that we didn't quite manage to kill. Maybe I just got really lucky? I was actually concerned about the event being too frequent.

Also, the Vex incursion locations are shown on the map, just not very prominently, but basically they can happen at Archer's Line, the Hellmouth, or Anchor of Light. Look for the giant cone of electrical discharge.

I had a different experience

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 15:14 (1659 days ago) @ squidnh3

. After an hour of driving around the moon looking for invasions, I’ve found 2 of them that had Gatelords, and both times I failed to kill it because the blueberries in the instance were off messing around on the other side of the Hellmouth and didn’t notice what was going on.

Weird, I got this quest step and completed it almost instantly. I went right to Archer's line and had 3 Gatelords spawn right in a row. Actually, now that I think about it it must be a progression event, because at the end a big Hydra spawned that we didn't quite manage to kill. Maybe I just got really lucky? I was actually concerned about the event being too frequent.

Also, the Vex incursion locations are shown on the map, just not very prominently, but basically they can happen at Archer's Line, the Hellmouth, or Anchor of Light. Look for the giant cone of electrical discharge.

Yeah I had no problem finding the locations... it was the timing, combined with the lack of gatelords & blueberries that was thwarting me. I’m sure people will have all different kinds of experiences with that little quest step, because of the multiple layers of RNG at play.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 15:34 (1659 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sort of, but they went and fucked it up.

The random vex invasions are totally fine on their own, and very cool, but then Bungie went and built a quest step around them that makes them a pure and utter frustration.

Want to try the new 6-player matchmade activity? Well you can’t, not until you

a) find a vex invasion (they’re not indicated on the map in any way, and they’re not very frequent... think D1 public events),

b) hope that if you do find one, the Gate Lord boss is part of it (sometimes he is, sometimes he isn’t), and

c) hope that if you find an invasion AND there’s a Gatelord, you’re also in an instance with other players, because you’re not likely to beat the invasion by yourself.

Ok, got all that? Now do it 3 TIMES.

Seriously, this is the kind of awful game design that just ruins an otherwise great idea. After an hour of driving around the moon looking for invasions, I’ve found 2 of them that had Gatelords, and both times I failed to kill it because the blueberries in the instance were off messing around on the other side of the Hellmouth and didn’t notice what was going on.

I can’t wait until I’m done this quest so I can enjoy these envisions as the cool world events that they are. I just hope we don’t see another quest step like this ever again.

Wow, my experience was light-years different.

I noticed that two of the locations are near the hellmouth, so I went over there. I waited around a bunch for one to spawn, true enough... but one did, and there were a whole bunch of us. We made quick work of it. It had a gatelord.

As it finsihed, a second one spawned in sight (the second hellmouth site). All of us went over there, finished it up.

A third one spawned (where the first one had been). It was a little harder, because I was out of ammo... but we managed.

Total time fighting - about 10 minutes (with no breaks in between). I actually thought they did a pretty good job. :(

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 17:01 (1659 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bet you got the meatball right away too eh? :-p

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 17:02 (1659 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bet you got the meatball right away too eh? :-p

Nope. Played for a few weeks before I even saw it, and then the first 3 or 4 times the other team won.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 03:43 (1658 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As it finsihed, a second one spawned in sight (the second hellmouth site). All of us went over there, finished it up.

That's the key difference, I'm sure. There's not just one portal and one Gatelord. Provided you kill the Gatelord at each portal, a second and third will spawn, then a Hydra boss. You definitely don't have to find 3 separate invasions to get 3 Gatelords. But each portal is in a different area so it would be easy to miss. Or you could just have bad luck and arrive at the end.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 06:10 (1658 days ago) @ stabbim

That's the key difference, I'm sure. There's not just one portal and one Gatelord. Provided you kill the Gatelord at each portal, a second and third will spawn, then a Hydra boss. You definitely don't have to find 3 separate invasions to get 3 Gatelords. But each portal is in a different area so it would be easy to miss. Or you could just have bad luck and arrive at the end.

Yes, they spawn sequentially one after another, if you’re able to kill each one. Once I found one in an area with blueberries who were also engaging, it was no problem at all. My initial struggle was largely caused by the fact that the first few gatelords I found, I was attacking them solo. I couldn’t kill them before they left. And once they leave, the cycle just shuts down (so you don’t get the 2nd and 3rd invasions happening right away)

Endless waste is different

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 14:31 (1659 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by CougRon, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 14:37

I had a treasure chest to pick up in the Endless Waste. I just arrived and the area has totally changed! I thought I saw small differences but then I noticed big differences and I’m here and the area is different then it was before. Predatory for the new strike? The old room contents are gone, instead there is a platform with a rotating sphere and rings.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 15:50 (1659 days ago) @ CougRon

I had a treasure chest to pick up in the Endless Waste. I just arrived and the area has totally changed! I thought I saw small differences but then I noticed big differences and I’m here and the area is different then it was before. Predatory for the new strike? The old room contents are gone, instead there is a platform with a rotating sphere and rings.

Yeah, noticed that a few days ago. Actually played the strike, actually - is it not supposed to be live yet?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Saturday, October 05, 2019, 20:26 (1658 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Well look at that. I see two strikes on Io now . I don’t remember being told of it. Certainly no community mentions of terrain changes since the Shadowkeep update.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 00:46 (1658 days ago) @ CougRon

Well look at that. I see two strikes on Io now . I don’t remember being told of it. Certainly no community mentions of terrain changes since the Shadowkeep update.

I don't remember being told of it either - and someone else (Speedracer?) said it was supposed to have gone live today. I think I might have played a glitch (that is, someone turned it on early, then turned it off again). I was booted from the game just before the final boss, so maybe it was only on for 10 minutes before someone noticed - if that's the case, maybe only a few hundred people got a shot at it, I just HAPPENED to be in the right place at the right time.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 07:33 (1658 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't remember being told of it either - and someone else (Speedracer?) said it was supposed to have gone live today. I think I might have played a glitch (that is, someone turned it on early, then turned it off again). I was booted from the game just before the final boss, so maybe it was only on for 10 minutes before someone noticed - if that's the case, maybe only a few hundred people got a shot at it, I just HAPPENED to be in the right place at the right time.

Nah, it was active since Tuesday, it actually is (was?) one of the options for a regular Nightfall. I ran it with Raga and Argent, it's super cool.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 10:41 (1658 days ago) @ Xenos

You know something strange I didn’t think of before? Their is a seasonal quest I started yesterday going through all the vex invasion stuff as an intro. And their is a step where you visit Ikora and she explicitly says she recognizes an old foe, the undying mind, as being resurrected and in charge. With that sort of call out I would have expected the strike, where you hunt down the mind, not to be selectable from the director until then as the next step in the quest but there appears to be nothing like that. (So far. I don’t remember if the quest finished yet.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread