Blind raid first report: Epic (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 07:23 (1654 days ago)

Had a great time last night. It was quintessential blind raiding. Frustration, despair, then success. And that last sprint across the field was one of the most memorable raid moments ever! The exploration after was also very cool. So far this raid is pushing all the right buttons for me.

Blind raid first report: Epic

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 08:59 (1654 days ago) @ Kermit

It is a very cool encounter.

Without spoilers, I’ll just say that it’s my favorite type of encounter, and one that Bungie is getting better and better at designing. The mechanics aren’t difficult to figure out. The puzzle isn’t in figuring out what to do, but instead it’s figuring out how to get it done. There’s lots of moving parts, everyone has a role but has to be flexible to pick up the pieces that inevitably get dropped along the way. I really love the movement that’s required too. I’m also glad to see encounters that are combat focused, and not just flipping switches on the machine until something happens.

I’m interested in seeing how others tackled this encounter, as it seems like one where players can solve it in many different ways, rather than in the very prescribed way many raid encounters require. That second room is a good example of what I mean. Where we set up the Well in the doorway, I want to see how others handled it. I bet we’ll see some diverse strategies there.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 12:20 (1654 days ago) @ Kermit

Had a great time last night. It was quintessential blind raiding. Frustration, despair, then success. And that last sprint across the field was one of the most memorable raid moments ever! The exploration after was also very cool. So far this raid is pushing all the right buttons for me.

I'm glad people here are still enjoying it blind.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 12:30 (1654 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know you're done with Destiny, but this is the release you should have jumped into. The grind to power level was basically non-existent. Finishing the campaign got me to 880. The first encounter of the raid was capped at 890, and the soft cap doesn't hit until 900.

I think that if you ever want to do a blind raid again, Bungie has found a good place to be in regards to making that very attainable without putting in days of grinding.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 14:18 (1654 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I know you're done with Destiny, but this is the release you should have jumped into. The grind to power level was basically non-existent. Finishing the campaign got me to 880. The first encounter of the raid was capped at 890, and the soft cap doesn't hit until 900.

I think that if you ever want to do a blind raid again, Bungie has found a good place to be in regards to making that very attainable without putting in days of grinding.

Never playing Destiny again unless the investment system is gone in its entirety.

An MMO without an investment system?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 22:13 (1653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

An MMO without an investment system?

by TheOmegaClown, Tuesday, October 08, 2019, 05:57 (1652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Everything is cosmetic! Yay!

Video highlight from last night [SPOILER]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 15:41 (1654 days ago) @ Kermit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 20:14 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

Oh shit the raid's in the Black Garden? Rad!

I know, right?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 20:45 (1653 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 20:24 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't think a single Cyclops shot at you, Kermit. That's just not fair. ):

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 20:44 (1653 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There were a few near misses. Another way of looking at it is that many died so a few could live. I think it’s going to take some clever cloaking to do that section flawlessly.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 07, 2019, 05:39 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

There were a few near misses. Another way of looking at it is that many died so a few could live. I think it’s going to take some clever cloaking to do that section flawlessly.

We should try it with Rat King.

And here is my angle. *SP*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 22:12 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

A few things to say first. First, my constant punching is because of my controller started glitching out on me, which slowed me down. YAY! Timing!

Second, I did clip... the moment. Raid group... you know the one. The moment where all our collective souls gasped so loudly I'm sure Eris cracked a smile for a moment. I intended to share it with the rest of DBO today. Alas, the powers that be have rescinded my ability to do so. You see that file, among all my attempts to figure out what is wrong, appears to be irredeemably corrupted. :(

... heh. In a way it's very fitting. Such power we made in our collective gasp, we corrupted the file. POWER!...meh. Anyway... here's my view of the clip Kerm embedded.

And here is my angle. *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 07, 2019, 06:24 (1653 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have it, I just haven’t clipped it out yet. The archive of the stream is five and half hours long and nearly 6 GB.

I'd like a link.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 07, 2019, 07:17 (1653 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Found it. *SP*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 07, 2019, 08:26 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

I think the run where we first saw the final section begins at about 4 hours 30 minutes.

https://mixer.com/cheapLEY?vod=oPFZT7OyXUCVlMe14W7B5w

Found it. *SP* [updated]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 07, 2019, 08:47 (1653 days ago) @ Kermit

I think the run where we first saw the final section begins at about 4 hours 30 minutes.

https://mixer.com/cheapLEY?vod=oPFZT7OyXUCVlMe14W7B5w

I'm wrong. That is the beginning of our penultimate run, but not when we first saw the final section. I forgot there were so many failures in between, and I was scrubbing quickly through while at work. :)

Korny notes the right time in his post. 3:52:30

Timestamps

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 07, 2019, 08:30 (1653 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have it, I just haven’t clipped it out yet. The archive of the stream is five and half hours long and nearly 6 GB.

For reference, the moment of doom starts at 3:52:30. My laughter was a combination of verge-of-tears disbelief, and a tip of the hat to Bungie's trolling.

Our successful final push of that part is at 4:47:05. You got a great angle, Cheap.

Timestamps

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 07, 2019, 10:00 (1653 days ago) @ Korny

You mean the angle from the floor where my dead body was? (:

I expected him to make another cube, not Thundercrash right on top of me and leave.

BTW, the entire raid has been 3-manned already.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 07, 2019, 16:32 (1652 days ago) @ Kermit

Spolers in the video, uh doy.

For those of us who struggled mastering the first part, it turns out that you can have one person pick up multiple charges... if you have a Titan in your fireteam. Womp womp!

Full writeup over on Reddit, but be sure not to read past the first part, Blind Force Six!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread