Detailed Analysis - The Moon Trailer (Destiny)

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 03:58 (3843 days ago)

Hello everyone! I just finished my very in-depth analysis of the new trailer, The Moon. It ended up being about 30 minutes long (of scripted, edited analysis, not rambling), and I put quite a lot of work into this one. If you have the time, please check it out! Hopefully I point out some stuff you missed :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4NC22j7LUs

Detailed Analysis - The Moon Trailer

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 09:49 (3843 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

Nice catch about the rotation of the moon! I hope it gets addressed in the game. Knowing Bungie it's quite possible they'll never actually explain why it's rotated and we'll just have to speculate.

A thought about the different placements of the hand cannons, what if it is based on the gear you have? Maybe different belts or whatever have differently placed holsters for your weapons.

Hmm, about the rotation...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 17, 2013, 15:21 (3842 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm pretty sure it's dependent on where you are, latitudinally speaking...

Check the view from my city:

[image]

It's clearly rotate about 90 degrees from the real-life shot in the video.
Not only that, but Luna isn't perfectly tidally locked with us, so it gradually rotates its face in relation to us, in contrast to the idea that it is always the same. Granted, takes hundreds of years to change a few degrees, but it happens.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 15:25 (3842 days ago) @ ZackDark

Check the view from my city:

[image]

Not only that, but Luna isn't perfectly tidally locked with us, so it gradually rotates its face in relation to us, in contrast to the idea that it is always the same. Granted, takes hundreds of years to change a few degrees, but it happens.

And if that big Hive guy was on the rim of it and he started running really fast, like a clown walking on a barrel, it would probably spin a little.

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 16:32 (3842 days ago) @ Leviathan

Should be your next painting....

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 20:53 (3842 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Should be your next painting....

Definitely :)

LMAO

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 20:53 (3842 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 20:51 (3842 days ago) @ ZackDark

I didn't even think of that....

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the 135 degrees indicated on the image is incorrect? Because I just checked, 135 degrees seems accurate.

I actually didn't know that, thanks!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 17, 2013, 22:12 (3842 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the 135 degrees indicated on the image is incorrect? Because I just checked, 135 degrees seems accurate.

No, no. I mean the Moon from down here is clearly 90-degrees rotated to the Moon up there. Not even trying to compare with the in-game shot. Yet. ;)

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Friday, October 18, 2013, 02:23 (3842 days ago) @ ZackDark

No, no. I mean the Moon from down here is clearly 90-degrees rotated to the Moon up there. Not even trying to compare with the in-game shot. Yet. ;)

Oh okay, got it!

Further studies of the rotation *IMG*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 18, 2013, 07:33 (3842 days ago) @ ZackDark

As seen in this GIF:

[image]

the Moon clearly librates (its axis of rotation oscillates) over the month.

So, adding up so far, the rotation observed in the vidoc could be attributed to:

• Libration
  • Location of observation (along with time of day)
  • Not-so-perfect tidal lock

However, also bound to the not-quite-tidally-locked, along with the fact that over time the Moon does show more of its far side, is the fact that it's getting farther away. So, to achieve a rotation of over 20 degrees (best-case scenario, if you take my other photo as reference), it would take a LOT of years, but the Moon wouldn't be as close to Earth as shown.

So, yeah, I'd attribute it to slight oversight. I hope they either 'fix' it or make it into an even more awesome story. :)

I figured

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 18, 2013, 07:58 (3842 days ago) @ ZackDark

that the whole terraforming of each of the planets in the solar system would have some possible effect on the orientation of the moon

Further studies of the rotation *IMG*

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Friday, October 18, 2013, 18:48 (3841 days ago) @ ZackDark

So, adding up so far, the rotation observed in the vidoc could be attributed to:

• Libration
  • Location of observation (along with time of day)
  • Not-so-perfect tidal lock

However, also bound to the not-quite-tidally-locked, along with the fact that over time the Moon does show more of its far side, is the fact that it's getting farther away. So, to achieve a rotation of over 20 degrees (best-case scenario, if you take my other photo as reference), it would take a LOT of years, but the Moon wouldn't be as close to Earth as shown.

So, yeah, I'd attribute it to slight oversight. I hope they either 'fix' it or make it into an even more awesome story. :)

Nice job breaking all that down! I remember in one Mail Sack, someone said that one of the most interesting things he had to do for work, was learn about Phobos' decaying orbit, so they are obviously looking into these things. We'll see how Bungie handles it :)

And again...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 21, 2013, 13:55 (3839 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yesterday night (about 11pm local, 21st October 2013), the Moon was almost in the exact same orientation as in the ViDoc over Rio de Janeiro.

Now that I thought of it AND played around in CAE software (killing a mosquito with a cannon, I know...) I'm sure it's simply a matter of time of day and the height of Moon in relation to the horizon.

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 20:41 (3842 days ago) @ Xenos

Nice catch about the rotation of the moon! I hope it gets addressed in the game. Knowing Bungie it's quite possible they'll never actually explain why it's rotated and we'll just have to speculate.

A thought about the different placements of the hand cannons, what if it is based on the gear you have? Maybe different belts or whatever have differently placed holsters for your weapons.

I can definitely see Bungie not talking about it. They've even said that they don't want to fully explain everything, they'd rather we had our own perceptions of some things.

I like the idea of weapon placement being based on your gear, it makes sense and would be pretty cool :)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 18, 2013, 04:39 (3842 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

I can definitely see Bungie not talking about it. They've even said that they don't want to fully explain everything, they'd rather we had our own perceptions of some things.

I like the idea of weapon placement being based on your gear, it makes sense and would be pretty cool :)

Gear-based makes a lot of sense. That's why I think weapon placement will be based on class; Bungie has said that the gear will be different between the different classes. (For a different look and feel)

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Friday, October 18, 2013, 04:57 (3842 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Gear-based makes a lot of sense. That's why I think weapon placement will be based on class; Bungie has said that the gear will be different between the different classes. (For a different look and feel)

As long as it was based on gear, and we had a lot of different options per class (so it wouldn't get boring), the I think that'd be cool.

by Durandal, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 13:41 (3843 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

I liked the update, but I would have to disagree with some of the assessments.

1. The "structure" could just be a storm. I think it looks more like the moon has an atmosphere, and a very large dust storm. What could kick up that much dust?

2. What are those lines around the Traveler and in the sky? They don't look like jet contrails.

3. The haze in the hive indicates some sort of atmosphere.

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Thursday, October 17, 2013, 21:00 (3842 days ago) @ Durandal

1. The "structure" could just be a storm. I think it looks more like the moon has an atmosphere, and a very large dust storm. What could kick up that much dust?

That's what I originally thought, dust of some sort. But it does seem like there are solid lines connecting to the surface... Very hard to say with such a low resolution though. It definitely could be a storm.

2. What are those lines around the Traveler and in the sky? They don't look like jet contrails.

I think they are contrails. Pretty sure we've seen the ships leaving them behind as they flew across. Not 100% sure though.

3. The haze in the hive indicates some sort of atmosphere.

I completely agree. There's also smoke or something at the end (in a screenshot), the astronaut seemed decomposed, and the Law of the Jungle (CGI) showed wind on the moon.

I'm glad you liked the video :)

by petetheduck, Friday, October 18, 2013, 03:28 (3842 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

Good stuff. Really.

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Friday, October 18, 2013, 04:58 (3842 days ago) @ petetheduck

Good stuff. Really.

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it :)

Good analysis, love all the details packed in

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:10 (3842 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

- No text -

Thank you! :)

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Friday, October 18, 2013, 18:48 (3841 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread