Baba is You (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 19, 2019, 21:12 (1622 days ago)

If you like puzzle games, get Baba is You. It might not look like much, but it might be one of the coolest puzzle games I've ever seen.

You build sentences to change the rules of the game. The game might say "flag is win". But maybe you can't get to the flag. So you can change it to "Star is Win" instead and touch the star.

I don't want to spoil too much because the game gets INSANE. Like, mind bendingly cool and amazing. The flexibility, robustness and creativity of the system is absolutely astonishing.

PLAY IT.

So... in other words...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, October 19, 2019, 22:11 (1622 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you like puzzle games, get Baba is You. It might not look like much, but it might be one of the coolest puzzle games I've ever seen.

[video]

You build sentences to change the rules of the game. The game might say "flag is win". But maybe you can't get to the flag. So you can change it to "Star is Win" instead and touch the star.

I don't want to spoil too much because the game gets INSANE. Like, mind bendingly cool and amazing. The flexibility, robustness and creativity of the system is absolutely astonishing.

PLAY IT.

[image]

'Cause if so... SOLD.

So... in other words...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 19, 2019, 22:29 (1622 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

'Cause if so... SOLD.

Yup. And you can / are required to abuse it to a ridiculous degree.

So... in other words...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 08:55 (1621 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 09:02

Here's a simple example from an early level to get the idea.

You've got a syntax of rules. For instance 'wall is stop'. So walls will stop you. "Baba is you' which means you control Baba. 'Rock is Push' which means you can push rocks, etc.

So weak means that it can be destroyed with other objects. Defeat means you lose if you touch it.

So how do you get past the skulls, which are defeat?

You change the rules.

But what do you do when the rules start to get complicated?

The thing that amazes me is that the syntax is totally flexible, and you can construct any sentence you want and have the rules change accordingly.

Baba is You

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 10:26 (1621 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It was also a great game when I made a post about it back in March. (:

It’s a seriously cool game. I never did finish it, though. ):

Baba is You

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 11:47 (1621 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It was also a great game when I made a post about it back in March. (:

It’s a seriously cool game. I never did finish it, though. ):

At this point each level has me stumped for several hours each.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread