Range stat on hand cannons barely matters anymore (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:15 (1613 days ago)

This is a pretty significant change to the sandbox (and means I can probably delete 15-20 of the hand cannons in my vault).

The TL;DR version is that all hand cannons, regardless of their range stat, now operate within a fairly similar optimal range. The lowest range hand cannons in the game start suffering damage drop off at roughly 25 meters, and the very highest range hand cannons start seeing damage drop off at 28 meters, or just below that.

In other words, the difference in effective range between a low-range Trust and a max range Austringer is ~2 meters.

There’s plenty of nitty gritty details to consider when looking at perks on a hand cannon, but the big takeaway for the current sandbox is that you’re probably better off prioritizing reload, stability, or damage-dealing perks over range-enhancing perks.

One thing, the meta changes

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:18 (1613 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is a pretty significant change to the sandbox (and means I can probably delete 15-20 of the hand cannons in my vault).

Just wouldn't shard everything just yet. My go-to trust has persisted many a meta.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:32 (1613 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just wouldn't shard everything just yet. My go-to trust has persisted many a meta.

My favourite Austringers have never been the max-range ones, anyway. Since I play mostly on console, I’ve always needed some stability perks to make Austringer effective. So my go-to rolls are still working for me quite nicely. I just happen to have a whole bunch of high-range variations in my vault in case I ever learned how to use them. I’m sure I’ll keep a couple, but no need for double digits :)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 05:40 (1613 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My favourite Austringers have never been the max-range ones, anyway. Since I play mostly on console, I’ve always needed some stability perks to make Austringer effective. So my go-to rolls are still working for me quite nicely. I just happen to have a whole bunch of high-range variations in my vault in case I ever learned how to use them. I’m sure I’ll keep a couple, but no need for double digits :)

Oh hahahaha, there's only 3-4 guns that I keep multiples of. Carry on!

Range stat on hand cannons barely matters anymore

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 31, 2019, 09:59 (1611 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This kind of makes sense to me. If weapons are intended to function in specific ranges, and a range boost would put the effectiveness outside that range, the overall idea of the weapon roles would be messed up.

Kind of another reason why I see perks that improve weapon stats as being bad. If they improve it noticeably, the weapon will be too good outside it’s intended role. But if it doesn’t improve it much, then it doesn’t really do anything.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread