The Game Awards 2019 (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 10:38 (1612 days ago)

Regardless how you feel about Award shows, the Nominees for the 2019 rounds were recently announced to be voted on. For this years rounds, you've got the Death Strandings, The Call of Shits & Gears. Zelda. Lots for Control, which I'm at least happy to see. It deserves it. Let's SCP the shit out of this.

And then you get to "Community Support". Well well well what do we have here. I'm... not too sure WHY, WHY Apex Legends is even there, but I sure do know why "Destiny 2 - BUNGIE" is there! Than after that it's a bunch of E-Sperts stuff, before you get back to the games. Life is Strange 2 & Baba is you. Untitled Goose Game.

"Destiny 2 - BUNGIE" is also in the running for "Ongoing game", but I suppose that's kind of to be expected.

And even if you don't go through the sign-in nonsense so you can poke the buttons, you can most certainly talk about these games here! (All this list does for me is realize how little games I play now adays ;_;)

The Game Awards 2019

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 14:07 (1612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 14:12

Regardless how you feel about Award shows, the Nominees for the 2019 rounds were recently announced to be voted on. For this years rounds, you've got the Death Strandings, The Call of Shits & Gears. Zelda. Lots for Control, which I'm at least happy to see. It deserves it. Let's SCP the shit out of this.

I gotta be honest.

Death Stranding is such a unique game, with a totally awesome and unusual experience that I cannot see Gears of War, Call of Duty, or Zelda beating it in anything.

That shit is ART yo. Minecraft is still probably game of the decade though unfortunately.

Loling at Gris for art direction and games for impact.

The Game Awards 2019

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 16:25 (1612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Death Stranding is absolutely my game of the year. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever played before, and I think it’s online connectivity is very unique and essential to the experience in a way that online connectivity rarely is at this point.

The Game Awards 2019

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 17:24 (1612 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Death Stranding is absolutely my game of the year. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever played before, and I think it’s online connectivity is very unique and essential to the experience in a way that online connectivity rarely is at this point.

It kind of ruins so many other games for me.

When I think of how cool the online aspect is, how cool the experience is, how much I had to learn and explore, how it surprised me and was deeper and offered more than I ever would have thought - it really just highlights how many AAA games are stagnating and just… offer the same thing dressed up differently.

And no it won't take 1000 hours of my time, but that's a good thing. It's a game that gives instead of takes. It's the opposite of Destiny. It lets you have fun and asks nothing of you, but when you engage it invites you in.

The Game Awards 2019

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 17:34 (1612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you can answer without spoilers, how’s the final act?

I’ve heard that it’s not good, but I’ve heard that from people that didn’t really seem to enjoy the game as much as I do. I know the gameplays shifts pretty dramatically from the world exploration stuff that makes up most of the game. Does it work, or does it feel out of place?

I guess I’m just picturing it being more stuff like Episide 4 with the Combat Veteran. I thought that was a decent segment and felt cool, but I’m not sure I need two hours of that to close the game.

The Game Awards 2019

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 18:47 (1612 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I guess I’m just picturing it being more stuff like Episide 4 with the Combat Veteran. I thought that was a decent segment and felt cool, but I’m not sure I need two hours of that to close the game.

There is more like episode 4, but the last 2 hours are nothing like it. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say It's a very non traditional way to end a game. The most difficult parts are nowhere near the game's end.

Generalized Rambling Death Stranding Response

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 21:33 (1612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Alright, so instead of just quoting everything, and responding to each in turn I'm just going to make a generalized, probably rambling, response. Disclaimer: I do not have a PS4, 3, or 2. I have never played any Metal Gear, or really any game by Hideo Kojima. That said, big as he is, ya bump into a thing or two. And yes, I do realize I have a super mega backlog of games I simply MUST play. Maybe I'll get a PS5, who knows.

Anywho, to what I observe, which are mostly just scattered bits from the wind, Death Stranding is a game that was made with the meanings first, design second. Hideo Kojima tends to have implied meanings in his work, but since he's his own man now, a man with a known name, he can design up whatever game he wants (or Movie, if such does pan out). There is no Konami Stuffed shirt he has to explain to. Thus this game, this Death Stranding, is pure Kojima. Skull mask and EVERYTHING! With Kojima, the message was more important than the game play, because ART! that's why (to be blunt). He asked himself "what do I want to say" and figured out a way to say it through the game-play. It's not about MONEY it's about sending a message. Also... he built on top the Dark Souls mechanic, which hey, is a cool mechanic. It's like a half way point in the "live game" thing. Not quite Destiny, but not quite an old school closed instance either. It's fun. Or so I hear. I've not played Dark Souls either.

lawl.

How do you pitch a game where the gameplay is essentially - from my distant distant observation - FedEx2:Phantasm Boogaloo - THE GAME! Like, no WONDER there was so little talk about WHAT this game was about, how do you SELL that!? The only reason this game got made and sold was because;

A) Hideo Flipp'n Kojima

&

B) Confusion.

Like seriously, the game is so Weird in casual observation that I would not be surprised that there were some sales simply from an urge to find out "What the Matix was" if you will. What's up with the Baby in the Jar? What is all the Black goop? What in the world is a "Death Stranding"?! RHETORICAL!

This is why It's not like any other game. Why it’s unlike anything you may have ever played before. It wasn't built like any other game. I mean... it WAS, but with some key drastic differences. If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, than feeling like you have No Mouth and Wanting to Scream is the Father of Creativity. A "smartphone that is a literally a set of handcuffs". Ya don't say! Sounds like a Kojima game to me.

Side note: This is why I can hardly watch any Hayao Miyazaki movies either. That man is in SO much pain. All the time. Every time he says he's going to retire, I gotta shake my head. Not until the mans fingers snap off, and even then. I know a brilliant madness when I see it, and that... is going way off topic...

... ok... ramble done. :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 23:20 (1611 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

How do you pitch a game where the gameplay is essentially - from my distant distant observation

You have to play it to really understand. This isn't a game you can just watch a bit and get.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 04:57 (1611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t think that’s entirely true. People are smart, they don’t actually have to play a game to understand it.

However, it’s not something you can watch five minutes of someone just walking around and get. You’d really have to watch hours of this game to see what it really is. Calling it a game where you just walk around and deliver packages is such a huge oversimplification and misses everything that makes the game so cool.

Well yeah.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:42 (1611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How do you pitch a game where the gameplay is essentially - from my distant distant observation

You have to play it to really understand. This isn't a game you can just watch a bit and get.

Death Stranding is a Message Puzzle, and I've only seen pieces here and there. I know I don't know... in more ways then one. :P

That said, without spoiling the game... Mr.Editor... how would you sell the game in 30 seconds?

Well yeah.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:49 (1611 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Death Stranding is a Message Puzzle, and I've only seen pieces here and there. I know I don't know... in more ways then one. :P

That said, without spoiling the game... Mr.Editor... how would you sell the game in 30 seconds?

It’s a game about over coming obstacles and mastering them, being helped to do so while helping others. It’s about connecting people who wouldn’t be connected in a world that’s more vast than you realize.

My one (run-on) sentence description

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 09:01 (1610 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You're a deliveryman in a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by invisible undead monsters who is hired to setup a nation-wide wireless Internet connection to reconnect the last vestiges of humanity and hopefully save them from extinction.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 13:05 (1610 days ago) @ Xenos

You're a deliveryman in a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by invisible undead monsters who is hired to setup a nation-wide wireless Internet connection to reconnect the last vestiges of humanity and hopefully save them from extinction.

I’m not sure that really sells it :-p You’re the Comcast technician! Go save the world and be sure to bundle to save money.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 13:38 (1610 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m not sure that really sells it :-p You’re the Comcast technician! Go save the world and be sure to bundle to save money.

You stopped selling it as soon as you said "Comcast" :D

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 14:02 (1610 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really don't find the stuff about "connecting" people any more enticing. Usually the connection stuff is so overdone and heavy-handed IMO. Connecting people through an Internet connection is something people can understand while building interpersonal connections through the act of delivering packages makes very little sense even in the game. Heck, the main character isn't even noticeably affected by the connections he's supposedly building until the story decides he's okay with people (oh wait, 30 seconds later he's not) that it all rings hollow anyway. But being a deliveryman in a post-apocalyptic landscape with invisible undead monsters in it? That actually sounds interesting to me at least.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread