The Making of The Outer Wilds (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 02, 2020, 06:14 (1547 days ago)

If you haven't played The Outer Wilds yet, you can still watch the video. They'll warn you before the spoilers.

The Making of The Outer Wilds

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, January 06, 2020, 03:02 (1543 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If you haven't played The Outer Wilds yet, you can still watch the video. They'll warn you before the spoilers.

It's this doc that convinced me to try it (again). I didn't even watch it until after I beat it; its release was just the last straw.

I tried it closer to when it came out, but it didn't quite click with me. It also didn't help that the test rocket played more like those (IMO annoying) lunar lander flash games of old. I don't think I did anything beyond explore the moon's Eye Tracker and then stopped playing from all the little negative things adding up. I came out with the impression that "It's a lunar lander type game and I loathe those controls. This game is just not for me."

However, I was convinced to revisit the game after I regularly saw praise floating around my internet travels culminating with the release of this documentary. And lemme tell you...

I'm glad I did. What a wonderful and enjoyable experience. Only thing I'll say is that I looked up the solutions to a puzzle or two and that does dampen the final emotional impression at completion. Totally my fault, I should've slowed down and been more thorough. Still, highly recommended.

The Making of The Outer Wilds

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, January 06, 2020, 07:49 (1543 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I think I looked up a puzzle solution or two when I was really stuck, but I tried to avoid it as much as possible. The ones I needed help with I mostly knew everything, but the info just didn’t click in my head so when I saw the solution it was a big headbang moment. In my case those solutions didn’t really lessen the impact of the end, but I can see how some puzzle solutions could. This is one of those games where once you know the solution you can just skip everything and jump to the end. It’s even possible to prevent one character from appearing entirely.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread