Girlfriend reviews Reach (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 10:17 (1503 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 10:22

Things of note:

-She didn't like the story
-•She found a mismatch between the 'silliness' of the sandbox versus the tone of the story.
-She loved it otherwise

•This should say something when a "non gamer" is making very astute observations about the fundamental nature of immersion in games, while the mainstream press never ever thinks in these terms

Girlfriend reviews Reach

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 20:43 (1502 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Things of note:

-She didn't like the story
-•She found a mismatch between the 'silliness' of the sandbox versus the tone of the story.
-She loved it otherwise

•This should say something when a "non gamer" is making very astute observations about the fundamental nature of immersion in games, while the mainstream press never ever thinks in these terms

That is kind of the shtick of her entire channel, and it’s fantastic. I recommend checking her other things out, especially the two videos she’s done on Red Dead 2, and the thrashing she gave Jedi: Fallen Order, in case you start to think she’s completely naive about the game industry.
Also her game awards video from this last year was great.

Girlfriend reviews Reach

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 21:46 (1502 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Has she played other Halo games before, or was this her first?

The point about the mismatch between gameplay and story is not something I would have ever considered. That might be different if Reach was the first Halo I’d played, but I’m so bought in on Halo already, that it didn’t really stick out when I first played it.

Girlfriend reviews Reach

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 17, 2020, 09:14 (1502 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Has she played other Halo games before, or was this her first?

The point about the mismatch between gameplay and story is not something I would have ever considered. That might be different if Reach was the first Halo I’d played, but I’m so bought in on Halo already, that it didn’t really stick out when I first played it.

The actual impact in my opinion is far more nuanced. Ultimately, it matters but only in certain circumstances because fo the different 'modes' of engagement you can have while playing a game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread