Director’s Cut 2020 (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 07:38 (1513 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 07:59

Another issue of Luke Smith rambling about lessons Bungie will once again ignore for another year of “content”.

A fun read!

PS. It’s nice to hear him acknowledge and admit to a lot of the issues that I have pointed out over the past year. Expect your “I told you so” cards in the mail within six to eight weeks.

Director’s Cut 2020

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 09:47 (1513 days ago) @ Korny

We also look at how well Seasons are engaging our players. Are people coming back each week? How long are they playing?

This is not really the best metric of measuring “engagement”… if these are the benchmarks this is exactly why I quit and Bungie isn’t going to change to bring me back.

Director’s Cut 2020

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, March 02, 2020, 06:40 (1508 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What is a better method? Engagement is playing the game, not coming to a forum no?

Director’s Cut 2020

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 11:06 (1513 days ago) @ Korny

Hmmm.

Not sure how to feel about any that.

My gut reaction is to agree with the cap on some weapons. I love all of my old weapons, but I still use them all because they’re comfortable and I don’t have to change. I never hinted as great roll on Blast Furnace because I already had a perfect Bygones that I love. I like Kindled Orchid and Austringer, but they can’t even come close to my Trust. I’m not a huge fan of taking toys away, but for all the guns that are in Destiny, a lot of them sure feel the same. I’m also not really sure it will actually fix that problem, but I guess we’ll see.

The timeline on those weapons (9 to 15 months) makes me wonder how long they’ll be supporting Destiny 2, though. I figured we’d be getting close to Destiny 3 territory in 15 months.

The faction rally stuff made me laugh. No one is asking for faction rallies back, just the old faction system with some vendor stock. Talk about missing the point.

Director’s Cut 2020

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 12:16 (1512 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The timeline on those weapons (9 to 15 months) makes me wonder how long they’ll be supporting Destiny 2, though. I figured we’d be getting close to Destiny 3 territory in 15 months.

I legitimately don't think a Destiny 3 is happening at this point. As in, a separate Destiny 3 game. I think a "soft" D3 is happening - as a D2 expansion.

They've pointed out in previous articles like this,and this one, that they are willing to reboot entire parts of the game as it goes along.

That would be pointless if a sequel was looming - they could just reboot the game's subsystems in the sequel. There'd be no need to do it to the existing, running game.

The fact that they've mentioned 'Y4 and beyond' - and the fact that expansions will redo significant parts of the game, and the constant talk of 'we're doing this so we don't have to test all this old content every time a new mode or activity shows up' - tells me that Destiny 2 is Destiny going forward.

Maybe once it has a technology debt so large or has built up too much cruft that a sequel is needed, then it could happen. But until then I think Bungie is only going to have one Destiny.

DISCLAIMER: this also doesn't preclude Bungie dropping support for D2 on older systems. They did it to D1 when they dropped 360 and PS3 with Rise of Iron. There will be a point in the future where they could say 'the next expansion for D2 will only support the PS6/Xbox Parallel X" and they drop the One and PS4.

Director’s Cut 2020

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 12:37 (1512 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Are you getting nervous about our bet cheapley?

Director’s Cut 2020

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 13:50 (1512 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh, I kinda forgot about it. I guess I can buy you The Last of Us 3 once we figure out if Destiny 3 is a thing.

In any case, Bungie is still the studio making Destiny, so maybe it won’t matter.

Director’s Cut 2020

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Sunday, March 01, 2020, 14:43 (1508 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I genuinely wish Destiny would go away and Bungie would make something new

Director’s Cut 2020

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 13:54 (1512 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Maybe once it has a technology debt so large or has built up too much cruft that a sequel is needed

It sort of feels like were pretty rapidly approaching that point to me. There’sa whole lot of old content that isn’t relevant already—it might as well go away for good.

I feel like they really need an Age of Triumph to revitalize all the old stuff. The old raids are good. Shattered Throne is good. Escalation Protocol and Blind Well are fun. In current Destiny where you need to be constantly farming XP, they don’t make sense as ways to spend play time, though.

Director’s Cut 2020

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 16:37 (1512 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe once it has a technology debt so large or has built up too much cruft that a sequel is needed

It sort of feels like were pretty rapidly approaching that point to me. There’sa whole lot of old content that isn’t relevant already—it might as well go away for good.

I mean, this is what's happening to Gambit. They're outright removing one of them.

And if it's Prime then Reckoning would probably go with it since they're intended to be attached to each other.

Director’s Cut 2020

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 19:29 (1512 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I mean, this is what's happening to Gambit. They're outright removing one of them.

Are they? Since when? Luke talked about picking one or the other in his last Director’s Cut six months ago, but he didn’t say anything about actually removing one from the game.

And if it's Prime then Reckoning would probably go with it since they're intended to be attached to each other.

I’d gladly have my hard drive space back instead of having Reckoning in the game.

That’s not really the point though. I’m not actually asking for them to remove anything, but with two years of content (soon to be three) that doesn’t reward anything relevant, it needs to be revitalized, or maybe it’s time to move on to the next game. They can’t grow Destiny 2 forever (at least not in a way that makes sense to me, not in the way they currently are).

Director’s Cut 2020 | A Short Part 1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 15:55 (1512 days ago) @ Korny

Alrighty. Let’s see if I can unpack this without writing a dissertation of random quality.

First things first, I’m surprised we’re having a Year 4 of Destiny 2 – initially. Each “Season” averages 3 months, so next season starts in March and thus ends at the end of May or so. E3 2020 (of whatever quality it turns out to be) happens week of June 9th. If something BIG gets announced, and I’m not talking Destiny 2, by all odds it’s around that time. Nothing is going to be coming out at that point, so… duh. We’ve got a Year 4. Or… Year 7 if you want to be properly technical right? Geeze… what a ride. 7 years of …

Right! Year 4. Yammering. … (Fair warning, sea of quotes and responses ahead.)

--Aspiration--

Aspiration: 1. A hope or ambition of achieving something. 2. The action or process of drawing breath.

That’s one of the main themes of this “Directors Cut”. The “Aspiration”, the looking forward to play Destiny 2 because… X. Solve for Why.

In Destiny 2, aspiration is what keeps our game alive. It is the air that fills its lungs, it is the breath that gives the game meaning. Aspiration can be about entering Destiny 2 for the first time and feeling the potential of what you could become. It can be about the pursuits in front of you. Or it can also be PVP players looking over the horizon and seeing the Lighthouse and its treasures awaiting them – if they pass The Trials. ... 

Is it just me, and this thought comes from consideration and not from initial thoughts; is this "aspiration" purview just a touch reductive. Like all the eggs are in one basket. No LUKE, aspiration is NOT what keeps our game alive. It’s not about the stuff we collect, the foes we fight, or tasks we burn WAY too much of the midnight oil for. Destiny is more then that. SO much more. It’s… about the emergent MOMENTS. The little complexities you CAN’T plan. You can’t – if I may echo story for a moment - “simulate”. Our own innate extraordinary acts that we may not process in our non-virtual corporal forms; An expression. A living breathing thought experiment of being able to learn from as many mistakes as possible. It’s not about the THINGS, it’s about what we can DO with the things. How do we MAKE our PLAY?

DO GUARDIANS MAKE THEIR OWN FATE?!

I could iterate on this MUCH more… but I’m going to do something fancy and new and stop there. Yes, my dear fellow DBOers, it does in-fact, sting. Alot. Oof. Owy. I suppose change trends to that effect.

These are some of my observations, and no doubt they can be added to by my peers on this forum. Not that any of it matters of course since no one with the power to bring this up during a planning week reads this anyway. We’re not cool enough for Deej anymore. ;_;

Do not neglect what you already have in the name of change. Best intentions.

--Seasons of Change--

I’ve enjoyed the simplicity of leveling up Destiny’s version of a Battle Pass. We wanted a progression that you could advance just by playing the game. (We don’t think we’ve got the whole XP thing figured out. Running in and out of Lost Sectors and flash-farming XP isn’t what we had in mind, but we can keep tuning it!) 

“A million deaths are not enough for Master Rahool”

I recently sat with a couple of external folks who really love Breakneck. It’s the only thing they use. They aren’t ever going to use another primary weapon in Destiny 2. Why? Because they don’t need to. ... 

The use of “need” concerns me. Add that with…

… Part of aspiration is the pursuit that comes with it and, right now, the way we are (and have been) treating weapons in Destiny 2 isn’t actually fueling the aspiration engine. 

… this here and, oh bother. The weapons are part of the tool kit to PLAY. To say anymore would only reiterate what I’ve said just a dozen or so lines above.

We aren’t delivering the feeling of an evolving world. …

Yes.

What we’re discussing now – and which is early enough that things might still change – is how we focus our efforts around Seasons from a development standpoint, while also trying to create the moments that make memories, WHILE ALSO balancing the amount of “fear of missing out.” This is a tricky balance, because these elements don’t connect neatly and, in many cases, they work against one another. 

Ye...wait, did he say “create the moments that make memories”? ...

create the moments that make memories

HE DID! (too bad it’s not higher up ‘eh?)

We’re going to be continuing to take in the feedback our guts and data provides (your reactions and feedback are a part of that data, so do continue to let us know your thoughts) on our Seasonal model.

At risk of the Two Generals' Problem (vid), A feed back post on what you learned from our feedback would be nice. I am not expecting one though, because you will by all odds not read this.

This year’s version of Seasons has too much FOMO in them. We want to fix this, and next year’s Seasons will have less.

Good.

Because we aren’t spending our development resources and time as well as we could, we’re talking about moving away from creating Season-bespoke private activities and instead using that time and effort to build themes that aren’t just represented by a marquee event that will fade away, but rather to inject these Seasonal themes into more of the game. Like we continue to evolve the world’s narrative, we could invest more in the evolving world of our public spaces and take further efforts to …

Of ALL the paragraphs that EXCITE me, this PARAGRAPH (particularly the parts I’ve bolded)… makes me hope. You bastards… don’t do that! I mean… what did I just write down….uhh… “Do not neglect what you already have in the name of change.” THAT. Let’s add to that now because you gave me the opening! ( I TRIED DBO, I TRIED!)

The “public spaces” tech is some of the most UNDERUTILIZED tech that Bungie has been SITTING ON, be it for technical or design reasons. Be it as it may, the POTENTIAL IS IMMENSE! You know what one of my -absolutely FAVORITE- things to do was in Destiny 1? Helping people as a blueberry open the door into the Vault of Glass. Design wise it might not have been all that great, as it stacks the deck on what should be a proving ground, but it sure was fun.

Oh… and the things you could do if you gave more time to work on the public spaces… spit-balling here...

Lets get actual SEASONS & WEATHER in the forest! Have a door malfunction and open up a new uncorrupted, yet dilapidated space on Titan (which has some of my favorite spaces). Give us yet another glimse of a dream in the golden age. Have the vex working on some sort of “digitization” on Nesses. Have some earthquakes occurring on Io for “unknown” reasons. In all of these, you could have some environmental hazards. An Immune beast harassing you by the entrance of the dark forest. … yeah… so on. All in a public space. A living world.

Or even… perhaps… PvP public space? MMM? The most dangerous game?

There are few things more ENTHRALLING, then stumbling onto an unplanned adventure – well at least virtually. Your mileage may very real life wise.

...evolve Destiny 2’s core activities. Core activities? What are those? Core activities are a way we think about a player’s options and motivations in a given evening of Destiny.

A way? What are the other ways you “think about a player’s options and motivations in a given evening of Destiny“?

They are meant to be more evergreen (quest/campaign content, for instance, is not generally evergreen). It’s usually something matchmade and designed with replayability in mind, either from the properties of the activity itself or the rewards. For example Crucible is fundamentally replayable because the opponents can be different and other players are the ultimate A.I., where The Ordeal is fundamentally replayable because of its reward structure, rather than random encounter generation. (In fact, we hope The Ordeal is consistent within a given week to create mastery and efficiency in defeating it). 

TL;DR is a (usually) matchmade mode that a player can enjoy playing again and again and again? Am I getting the right? When you say matchmade, is this the “Wait on a screen” matchmaking, ah la Crusable? Or does this include the more dynamic Matchmaking seen in pubic spaces?

Ideally, core activities are convergence points for player motivations (e.g., “I want to maximize XP, chase awesome items, and generate economy that I can use to further my goals” [Yes, I know no one talks this way]). 

Fun? I want to have fun in this world where I can shoot pure “space magic” energy from my fingertips? Why does it have to be something? Can’t it just be? Can’t the world you’ve made be fun?

[image]

Just as we continue to evolve the narrative of our world, we can continue to invest in evolving the world of open world public spaces (in case you’re unfamiliar, these are the spaces where you seamlessly see other players appear). We’ve built a world where players can encounter others, but we haven’t made a world with fights challenging enough where you feel like other players matter. 

So... like an open world raid boss!? RAWR!

----------

... and with that I'm going to stop there for the moment. Still digesting the talk about "Weapons Forever: The Problem", "Cosmic Gardeners", and the "Shortcut" blerbs. Plus, I am TRYING to make this more digestible for everyone else, because apparently I'm the only person who enjoys drinking from a firehouse.

Weirdos. :P

Director’s Cut 2020 | A Short Part 3 of 3

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 09, 2020, 14:10 (1500 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, March 09, 2020, 14:17

Better late then never?

If you're wondering where Part 2 went, it's here -> [The Problem of] Weapons Forever: The Problem
--------------------------------------------------

A Cosmic Garden for Who?

Last year, we said:

We want playing Destiny to feel like you're playing in a game world with true momentum, a universe that is going somewhere. A game where things are happening—not just in terms of new items and activities but also in terms of narrative. It’s frequently seemed like Destiny was treading water in terms of moving the world’s narrative forward. We want to tackle this in Destiny 2’s third year.

... The idea of building a narrative that is moving the story of your Guardians (plural, all of you!) forward, creating a universe where permanent change is possible, and where players can have meaningful impact, is still a thing we’re chasing and experimenting with.

It's a shame, is it not, that you can't test a medications effects before applied in whatever manner to your own body. The only test is to "do it live", and deal with the side effects as they show, if you can. In some cases "Death" is called a side effect, but that seems to me more marketing tongue-in-cheek.

The reason, as it may be for the moment, is all the moving parts. So many unknowns, that to fully simulate is impossible. That's why we've been taking this "Fractaline" all season, me thinks. They are testing the waters, seeing how we react. According to Charlemagne (and I have no idea if this link will work after tomorrow) we have donated a total of... 16 Billion,385,606,700 Fractaline. It likely will go up a touch more then that, seeing as today as I post this is the last day to use what we have so invested in.

For those of us more invested into this "Story" thing, who didn't cave into pressing the same button again and again slowly die'n from boredom in front of Rahool, these experiments have been... well, I don't know.

I can only speak for me. (Much less talk about this subject.)

It's all so... contained. It sure doesn't feel like a living world, for better and for worse. Can they totally get rid of FOMO? With what I have in mind, I don't think so. It's quite a fight. That's the better and worse, repeatability. Reliability. A timetable.

Life doesn't have a trailer. It doesn't advertise what will happen... well, not as obvious anyway. Sometimes life may smell of gas, of noxious eggs, and only those Cryptarchs/Warlocks who know the signs and the meaning can call out the alert. And sometimes, in fact... perhaps a touch more then sometimes, it's just a sucker punch. Everything was fine and then - BOOM! Earthquake or Drop dead or even... head exploded with a .45 because they matched the description. Oh the options! Not sure why I chose only catastrophes. I'm sure there are some good sucker punches?... eh.

I'm waiting, been waiting for Bungie - and I say this biting my tongue - to stop playing it safe. I bite my tongue because, seriously ya'll some of these choices Bungie makes... I ain't even gonna talk. mmm. MMMMM. Oi-VEY!

That's its own of many many threads. *Sigh*

Things need to change without advertisement. They've already done that in a way, for reasons yet unknown. Let me ask does European Dead Zone feel alive to anyone? Mars has dust storms, but apparently not anymore. We all know where factions are going to be, becuse they will always spawn in the same place (though I admit... that's not all a bad thing objective wise). What we need, debatably is a "previously in Destiny-the-Game" ♫ Buh Buh BUH BUM BUM BUM ♫ which could be, by the way, a method of advertisement Bungie. Ya see!? "FOMO".

And that's some of the 2¢ I have on that.

Quickbits!

--

SHORTCUT #1: Faction Rallies

Lots of folks have been wondering if Faction Rallies will return. We have no plans to bring back Faction Rallies. The reward gear hasn’t been used that much, our character cast is growing too large, and crucially, they didn’t drive a bunch of engagement with the game. That said, there’s some sweet looks in that gear and we’re moving the Faction Rally armor to the Legendary engram reward pools in Season 10, alongside a few popular faction weapons.

Fractional Rallies

I'm not disappointed. These things always felt kind of half-baked to me. A filler to distract from the main pyramidal course. It's a shame that they wasted time on it. Each "faction" has a beautifully realized design and philosophy. Now there are three spots in the tower that each have their own look, and are totally irrelevant. Well, unless you have a dance party in them, then it's not so bad.

That said, while this doesn't mean that this aspect of the destiny universe is gone and dusted, it sure kind of feels that way. We'll see.

--

SHORTCUT #2: Bright Engrams

For Season 10, we’re doing away with Bright Engrams as purchasable items. We want players to know what something costs before they buy it. Bright Engrams don’t live up to that principle so we will no longer be selling them on the Eververse Store, though they will still appear on the Free Track of the Season Pass.

Bright Idea

What's that you say? No more for pay LOOT BOXES (that-are-becoming-more-and-more-regulated-because-that-shit-is-gambling yo)... you don't SAY!
----

...very much not a new light player so skipping the third bit...

----

SHORTCUT #4: Questlog

There’s another round of changes coming out with Season 10 for the Quest tab. The number of Quests you have at any given time sure can feel daunting, especially for procrastinators, so we’re adding a new feature to the Quest tab – categorization. All Quests are automatically assigned a category, and this buckets them into a specific area within the Quest tab.

For example, Exotic quests get their own category, as well as Seasonal quests. The Seasonal quest category is helpful in that it contains all of the quests that expire at the end of the Season. There are several categories, including one for older releases (e.g. Forsaken quests). This should help players focus on the quests that are new and most relevant vs. older content that maybe isn’t as high-priority as it used to be.

This Shit Again

I have nothing to say here... I just wanted to make that joke. ;D *chuckle*
(It would all devolve to "Where is this type of attention for our vault", which I already touched on over in part 2.)
--
Exit Music

... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... ok...

...Done.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread