Whats the fastest way to level up this season? (Destiny)

by Your Accomplice, Monday, March 16, 2020, 10:02 (1501 days ago)

What’s the fastest way to increase light level this season, I feel pretty stuck at my current light level (which is like in the mid 950s). Anyone got any tips on getting higher gear? I do all the challenges, but maybe those are worth it since they’re tier 1 rewards. It doesn’t help that I’m on a trend of getting the same item from two different challenges - for example I got a high level energy weapon from a challenge and then my Prime Engram decoded into a energy weapon as well.

Whats the fastest way to level up this season?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2020, 11:24 (1501 days ago) @ Your Accomplice

Definitely keep doing the weekly activities that give powerful rewards, but on top of that do lots and lots of bounties. Bounties reward XP, and XP levels up your season pass ranking, and your season pass ranking gives you light level bonuses. I hit rank 37 on my season pass yesterday, so I’m already getting a +9 bonus to my light level.

Also, if you have more than 1 character, you can use them to “slingshot” each other to level up faster. The trick is to spend a few days playing as 1 character, doing all the powerful rewards you can do. You should end up with a few weapons that are higher light than where you started a few days before. Then take the highest level weapon from each slot (kinetic, energy, and power) and transfer them over to your next character. This will drag that character’s level up, so they’ll have a head start when you go and do the powerful rewards activities with that character.

I’ve been playing exclusively with my Hunter all week, and by Sunday morning I’d gotten her up to 999. I then transferred some weapons over to my Titan and started using him, and within a day my Titan was up to 1002.

If you have 3 characters, you can spread this process across all 3 and get your light up way faster.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 16, 2020, 13:29 (1500 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Also don’t get any of the armor from the season pass rewards. Those continue to level up with you, so if you have a really low slot, you can use those to fill in the gaps.

by squidnh3, Monday, March 16, 2020, 13:44 (1500 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Those continue to level up with you, so if you have a really low slot, you can use those to fill in the gaps.

I haven't played yet this season, but assuming leveling is basically the same as last season, gaming slot drops is very important to avoid wasting drops. In general, getting one higher level drop (maybe from Pit of Heresy per Claude's post), then filling in the other slots with lesser powered drops (vendors or whatever) is the way to go. Don't pick up a drop unless it has at least a 5/8 chance to improve a slot, or unless it's the end of the week and you have no choice.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, March 16, 2020, 14:57 (1500 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If you have an imbalance between some high-level stuff and some low level stuff use planetary vendors to even them out. Check out DIM vendor page and dump resources into getting packages from any vendor that has a glowing engram symbol on it. They will drop items that can be high level up to Your power level.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, March 20, 2020, 19:24 (1496 days ago) @ Vortech

Check out DIM vendor page and dump resources into getting packages from any vendor that has a glowing engram symbol on it. They will drop items that can be high level up to Your power level.

Hmm, are you sure? Right now Ana Bray is showing a glowing emblem. She is dropping 966 stuff for me, the same as all other vendors. My average according to DIM is 967.6.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, March 20, 2020, 19:42 (1496 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Check out DIM vendor page and dump resources into getting packages from any vendor that has a glowing engram symbol on it. They will drop items that can be high level up to Your power level.

Hmm, are you sure? Right now Ana Bray is showing a glowing emblem. She is dropping 966 stuff for me, the same as all other vendors. My average according to DIM is 967.6.

You need to click on the glowing symbol; it'll open a page to Destiny 2 Vendor Engrams. I find the timestamps on that page to be a little off, sometimes (occasionally it'll say 10:00 and that's when the high drop ENDS; other times that's when it STARTS). In general, though, it's useful.

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, March 21, 2020, 06:52 (1496 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ahh, thanks! I was looking at the wrong symbol / there wasn't any glowing symbol when I was looking.

I thought they got rid of this "some vendors randomly drop high level rewards" at some point. I know vendors did randomly drop high rewards when D2 launched.

Did they change it at some point, and then the functionality is back?

Not sure...

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, March 21, 2020, 10:48 (1496 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Ahh, thanks! I was looking at the wrong symbol / there wasn't any glowing symbol when I was looking.

I thought they got rid of this "some vendors randomly drop high level rewards" at some point. I know vendors did randomly drop high rewards when D2 launched.

I know it seemed to stop working at some point, and I stopped paying attention to Vendor Engrams (the site) at that point. I started it again when DIM integrated the info into their Vendors page (a few months back).

It's possible that it took VE a while to figure out how the drops were happening again? I dunno.

Not sure...

by hand12, Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 05:41 (1492 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I know it seemed to stop working at some point, and I stopped paying attention to Vendor Engrams (the site) at that point. I started it again when DIM integrated the info into their Vendors page (a few months back).

It's possible that it took VE a while to figure out how the drops were happening again? I dunno.

Also don’t get any of the armor from the season pass rewards.

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Sunday, March 22, 2020, 09:44 (1495 days ago) @ marmot 1333

VendorEngrams.xyz posted an explanation to reddit on October 16. Here's the opening paragraph.

Almost exactly a year ago to the day, VendorEngrams.xyz shut down after the rotating, fluctuating vendor reward system was removed with the launch of Forsaken. Following the launch of Shadowkeep, and in keeping with its theme of nightmares from our past, the system has returned, and as of this morning so has VendorEngrams.xyz.

It's kinda cool to look at how it happened in real time on Twitter.

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, March 23, 2020, 09:42 (1494 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Ha! That's really cool. Thanks for doing the research :)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 16, 2020, 15:11 (1500 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Then take the highest level weapon from each slot (kinetic, energy, and power) and transfer them over to your next character. This will drag that character’s level up, so they’ll have a head start when you go and do the powerful rewards activities with that character.

Fun fax, you don't necessarily have to do that! The Game automagically takes the highest-light weapons that you own into account when it comes to drops on any character.

I’ve been playing exclusively with my Hunter all week, and by Sunday morning I’d gotten her up to 999. I then transferred some weapons over to my Titan and started using him, and within a day my Titan was up to 1002.

If you have 3 characters, you can spread this process across all 3 and get your light up way faster.

Pro-tip from a 970 (lol), before you turn in any bounties, find the no-life-est friend you have, and join their Fireteam while they are in any activity where your gun is drawn. The Fireteam XP boost should be active (the higher their Season Pass rank, the higher the boost can be at certain threshholds), and combined with the Eris Ghost shell, you can get a ton of extra XP per bounty.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2020, 16:18 (1500 days ago) @ Korny

Then take the highest level weapon from each slot (kinetic, energy, and power) and transfer them over to your next character. This will drag that character’s level up, so they’ll have a head start when you go and do the powerful rewards activities with that character.

Fun fax, you don't necessarily have to do that! The Game automagically takes the highest-light weapons that you own into account when it comes to drops on any character.

It’s good you brought that up, because you’re correct that it’s supposed to work that way, but it apparently doesn’t work right now. A guy on reddit did a bunch of testing and found that rewards from some sources were only looking at the gear on your current character as well as what you have in your vault, but not your other characters.

From the limited experimenting that I’ve done, I can say with confidence that powerful drops DO still take into account the gear you have in your vault, if not your other characters. I left a set of power-level 1000 weapons in my vault, and then switched characters over to my Warlock (who I haven’t played with yet this season). When I inspected my Warlock’s season pass screen, all the drops were showing well above 970, which is that character’s current level.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:58 (1499 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I did the same kind of testing when Destiny 2 first released, and it behaved this way. Weapons on alternate characters did not affect my drops, but anything in the vault and on the selected character mattered.

I feel personally attacked.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 09:18 (1500 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I feel personally attacked.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:20 (1498 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As Insane says, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

KM's gotta denigrate someone.

I finally found a good photo of Korny

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:27 (1498 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 15:53 (1497 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m on the podium, baybeeee!

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 15:57 (1497 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Solid 20 seconds of laugher there. Thanks. I can use this post to time my hand washing.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread