Switch Part 2 (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 14:59 (1497 days ago)

So I got another switch and I like it now. Especially during these times of social distancing.

The real problem was the joycons. Playing with them detached was and still is miserable. That was enough to make me return it when I first picked it up a while ago, since there isn't really another out of the box way to play on a TV. After trying a pro controller a few months ago, I realized the system was actually playable while docked. So I picked one up again.

It's not a good look when it costs an extra 60 dollars to make the system playable on a TV. But oh well, at least it is!

Portable mode with the Joycons attached took getting used to, but is not too bad.

So yeah, really digging it now that I can play it properly. Made it through Mario Odyssey and Link's Awakening, and on to Breath of the Wild.

Mario Odyssey is probably a solid 7 all the through. No highs, but no real lows. There's a lot that's fun, but the collectathon bullshit gets in the way a lot of the time. After finishing the Darker Side Gauntlet, I feel like I'm pretty much done and have no desire to hunt for moons or purple coins.

Link's Awakening is probably in its best form. The game boy only had two buttons, so you could equip two things at once. The switch has many more, so you can have your shield, pegasus boots, power bracelet, sword, and two other items all available at once. While it eliminates a ton of the inventory management and swapping which slowed things down, it makes it waaaaaay easier. You can have your sword, shield, roc's feather, and boomerang all equipped at once. Yeah. There's a hard mode thankfully which I may try soon. That's probably the best of both worlds: maintaining a challenge yet streamlining the inventory swapping. The other thing that's ever so slightly negative is the art style and the continuous scrolling make the game feel… smaller on the overworld map. There's something about going from screen to screen that made everything feel bigger than when it's all continuously connected. Like each screen was its own little destination with its own little character. Lost now. But a minor thing. I recommend this, especially since it's on my 101 games list.

Switch Part 2

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 19, 2020, 19:49 (1497 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's been three years and the red/blue Switch is still sold out in my area.

At this point, I might have to import it or something.

Switch Part 2

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 20, 2020, 08:58 (1496 days ago) @ Morpheus

It's been three years and the red/blue Switch is still sold out in my area.

At this point, I might have to import it or something.

The Switch is weird.

My brother didn't want a Switch, so Sammy and I got him one.
He didn't want Animal Crossing, so his friends got it for him.

He's been counting down the hours for Doom Eternal. I checked on him last night to see how he was enjoying Doom... And he was playing Animal Crossing instead.

Nintendo Power indeed.

Switch Part 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 20, 2020, 09:27 (1496 days ago) @ Morpheus

Just go with Black. It’s even 20 bucks cheaper.

(whines)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, March 20, 2020, 15:02 (1496 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Red/Blue looks really pretty, though...

That, and I have another more painful reason for picking that instead of just black like always. At the beginning of an early video, Dunkey made a deep, subtle and profound point within the first 10 seconds, and it punched me in the face. I don't want that to happen to me anymore,so I think I'll go with something a little more lively.

Weird. I had to try hard to NOT get the red blue.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:19 (1496 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 04:53 (1491 days ago) @ Morpheus

Looks like I’m not alone.

Gyro Aim Part 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 21, 2020, 20:08 (1495 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So In Breath of the Wild you can aim your bow by tilting the controller (or the console if in handheld mode).

It works so well. Smooth. Precise. I am totally on board with motion controls. Goodbye right stick. This is honestly the future.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread