What the hell happened to the MCC (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 20:01 (1402 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 20:04

I played Reach on the MCC when it came out. It was fantastic.

It’s been a while since I played the other games, though. I’ve been running through Halo CE, and it runs like complete dogshit. That wasn’t the case last time I played it. What happened? It’s damn near unplayable.

Side note: I miss Halo.

What the hell happened to the MCC

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, May 26, 2020, 22:26 (1402 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Try only playing in classic. Not only do you get objectively vastly superior visuals and audio for H1 and 2 in classic, performance never dips! So, simply enjoy the games as they were meant to be and you'll have a smooth experience the entire time.

Vastly superior visuals...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 08:53 (1401 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Try only playing in classic. Not only do you get objectively vastly superior visuals and audio for H1 and 2 in classic, performance never dips! So, simply enjoy the games as they were meant to be and you'll have a smooth experience the entire time.

That the classic visuals are better than the new visuals is a reasonable point of view, but some submit that the classic visuals in MCC are not the classic visuals.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 09:42 (1401 days ago) @ Kermit

Oh shit. I didn’t know bumpmapping was broken. I was wondering why Truth and Reconciliation looked so bad.

Is the actual game backwards compatible? Maybe I’ll just play that instead.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:01 (1401 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh shit. I didn’t know bumpmapping was broken. I was wondering why Truth and Reconciliation looked so bad.

Is the actual game backwards compatible? Maybe I’ll just play that instead.

Sadly, no, but it's backwards compatible if you've got a 360 around ....

It really is a shame, and given all the effort they've put into it, I wish they would work on this. If any lurkers from 343 exist around here, are they any plans?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:03 (1401 days ago) @ Kermit

That the classic visuals are better than the new visuals is a reasonable point of view, but some submit that the classic visuals in MCC are not the classic visuals.

Be careful, Kornman might come back and get mad :-p

I've literally had someone I know say "This game doesn't look as good as I remember." I had to explain, that's because it actually DOESN'T look as good as it did when it came out. It's a disservice.

But honestly I'm kind of okay with the Halo 2 new remastered graphical mode. The Halo one is super ugly, but the one for 2 seems more or less pleasing to me.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:29 (1401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it’s because the Halo 2 one seems to have at least a basic sense of respect for the original aesthetics, while the Halo CE one doesn’t at all. The biggest exception is probably the skybox in New Mombasa. The color palette is really off.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:55 (1401 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's pretty accurate. For H2 they did fairly decent visually, and completely missed the mark on audio. H1 was the opposite. They completely changed what most things look like, but did a pretty good job recreating the audio (at least the gun sounds).

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 12:49 (1401 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Did MCC ever seamlessly switch between classic and new audio? It only works for graphics now, but I could swear it used to switch both.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 14:31 (1401 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It does both for H2, and you can't mix and match.

H1 is only visuals, you set audio preferences before launching a mission.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 16:44 (1401 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

That's pretty accurate. For H2 they did fairly decent visually, and completely missed the mark on audio. H1 was the opposite. They completely changed what most things look like, but did a pretty good job recreating the audio (at least the gun sounds).

I tell ya h'what, when I first shot the Sniper with the remastered audio I audibly let out a "damn".

I objectively liked the new audio better in that instance.

I recall having a very difficult time completing a play through without switching between new\classic graphics. I kept enjoying switching on the fly. In general, I think it is a really neat feature. I wish more re-makes had that.

Not having an xbox through quarantine kinda stinks :(

by FyreWulff, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 11:29 (1395 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Be careful, Kornman might come back and get mad :-p

I've literally had someone I know say "This game doesn't look as good as I remember." I had to explain, that's because it actually DOESN'T look as good as it did when it came out. It's a disservice.

But honestly I'm kind of okay with the Halo 2 new remastered graphical mode. The Halo one is super ugly, but the one for 2 seems more or less pleasing to me.

I have a hunch the general plan is once they're done with the PC ports, the plan is to come back and fix the stuff like all the missing Halo 1 features.

Halo 2 also has a similar issue where the original PC port, and thus MCC, has no self shadowing.

https://i.imgur.com/fiar0LS.png

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 13:57 (1395 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I have a hunch the general plan is once they're done with the PC ports, the plan is to come back and fix the stuff like all the missing Halo 1 features.

Halo 2 also has a similar issue where the original PC port, and thus MCC, has no self shadowing.

https://i.imgur.com/fiar0LS.png

If I were a betting man, I'd say these issues never get fixed. 343 has a new Halo game that they are likely focused on. There may be people at 343 who care a ton about making sure these old games are done correctly, but it's ultimately up to the leadership as to where to focus the money time, and effort.

And so likely forever people will play classic mode and think the original looked bad. But even if it is fixed tomorrow, 9 years have gone by and the damage is done.

For this to not be the case would be a nice surprise.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 10:15 (1401 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

The classic mode in MCC is a downgrade for the actual XBOX game. Halo runs like ass on 360 backward compatibility, so the only way to actually play the game as it was meant to be seen is if you have an original xbox.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:31 (1401 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played CE this past weekend on classic mode and it ran fine. Multiplayer seemed smooth too. I'll try to load up Reach tonight and see if I have any issues.

I loaded Battlefield 4 back up and there is a good size population still going. I had a lot of fun. I still play Battlefield 1 and enjoy it, but I never got Battlefield V. If anybody here plays them, hit me up.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread