*Spoilers* What is next...? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 01, 2020, 14:50 (1397 days ago)

The Video that no doubt was supposed to launch tomorrow at reset has dropped earlier than intended. It's out there, and so will the chatter. All I'm going to say right now is... June 9th. 6pm CEST.

So excited!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 06:36 (1396 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Looks like we're finally heading to Europa!

So excited!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 10:29 (1396 days ago) @ breitzen

Looks like we're finally heading to Europa!

A new space, should it be so, would always be welcomed. If not, it may be a place simply for us to intercept what is apparently rumored to be called... "The Veil".

[image]

*Official* "Coordinates Received." What is next...?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 09:46 (1395 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

(While not the leaked clip I saw, this is of the same vein. As this is from an official outlet with an accompanying linked site to the official Bungie source, spoilers on this section are off.)

Here is a (ripped to) Youtube variant. The title gives away what it is, so I'd suggest to give the tweet a look first.

Spoilerish if you don't want to know locations/characters

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 10:09 (1395 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

*Spoiley talk*

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 10:12 (1395 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

(While not the leaked clip I saw, this is of the same vein. As this is from an official outlet with an accompanying linked site to the official Bungie source, spoilers on this section are off.)

Here is a (ripped to) Youtube variant. The title gives away what it is, so I'd suggest to give the tweet a look first.

As little interest as I have in D2 now, I have always wanted them to finally do something with Europa since they first released concept art for it. My hope is that they'll combine it with the Enceladus concept art piece that I love:

[image]

That said, it's likely just going to be yet another "small play space + Horde event + repeatable mini-strike", so they're ultimately likely to waste an environment with serious potential (what else is new, eh Arcology?). Ah well. I've already paid for it, so I might as well play it.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 12:33 (1395 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Open flame in a spacecraft seems like a bad idea.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 12:55 (1395 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's space magic. Nothing can go wrong.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 14:03 (1395 days ago) @ bluerunner

Knowing you, you probably speak from experience.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 15:58 (1395 days ago) @ Kermit

Knowing you, you probably speak from experience.

I run a laser cutting business and a pyrotechnics business out of my garage. I've learned to just throw burning materials out into the yard and deal with it there.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 16:13 (1395 days ago) @ Kermit

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 16:56 (1395 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t think Kermit is ignorant of that, Cody.

Why That Character? Why That Place? *Rampant Speculation*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 16:38 (1395 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So... that's clearly The Drifter, but what's he doing traveling out to an icy moon of Jupiter? Well... one of his biggest, most frightening discoveries was made by him and his crew on an icy world somewhere beyond the edge of our solar system. Their find was one of the more terrifying things in all Destiny's lore. A quick taste:

So there we were. On that cold hunk of ice with no name, just me and my crew. Everything peachy-keen.

We discovered some kind of alien monolith, a facility left by the inhabitants of that planet long gone by then.

But trapped inside was a creature. In a cage of some sort, frozen in ice. An exhibit? Was it some kind of zoo? Still not sure to this day. We should've brought a scientist. All we had were… well, guys who thought we looked tough in dark colors.

During our long stay on that planet, we found many of those monoliths, each with their own captured creature.

Anyway, this thing—the creature—looked like it shared common bioenergetics with the Hive, but there were no records then or since that I've ever seen of humanity's encounters with them. And the creature had a property the Hive did not have. It produced a field that repressed Light—like a Darkness Zone but contained to a gooey, vacuous form with no head.

The anti-Light fields we had detected from orbit that spread across the planet? It was these things. Our ship's scanners indicated thousands of them were on this planet with us.

We were ecstatic.

In hindsight we all could have done with a few less of them.

—Drifter's thoughts recited to his Ghost, for posterity. The second of five parts

Full text is split across five items of Warlock gear:

Ancient Apocalypse Hood
Ancient Apocalypse Robes
Ancient Apocalypse Gloves
Ancient Apocalypse Boots
Ancient Apocalypse Bond

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 17:35 (1395 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think Destiny storytelling is at its best when it puts multiple NPC’s together to interact with. I’d love a team up of Eris and The Drifter (since Cayde is gone) with their personalities!

How to catch up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:05 (1395 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So, I don't even know what I don't know with regards to what is happening story wise. Even with Forsaken, I read very little lore because I didn't want to grind.

Even though I have no interest in playing the game, I do have a small interest in seeing what the story brings. What's the best way to 'catch up' so to speak? Are there good youtubers who just lay out the story?

How to catch up

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:17 (1394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You could just read it all. Braytech and Ishtar Collective have all the lore books available to read. You can also read Ragashingo’s stuff, which is great, but obviously not complete, and not likely to be given the rate at which stuff is added.

Byf makes good videos, but I don’t know that anyone has anything that just goes through all the stories.

How to catch up

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:27 (1394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Grinding has never been necessary to keep up with lore. I mostly keep up just by reading the lore books over at Ishtar Collective. That'll get you 90%+ of the story each season. The rest is usually on item descriptions and Weapon/Armor/Ship lore, which you can also read by going to the Releases section.

You might also be able to find a good YouTuber or two, but I've never really done that. I can be several articles in by the time someone has retaught me how to like and subscribe and click the bell and join their Patreon. Besides, I'd rather read the stuff for myself and come to my own conclusions. That's why I always link to the articles themselves when sharing lore stuff. It's very much a Reading Rainbow "but don't have to take my word for it" kind of thing.

How to catch up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 21:10 (1394 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 21:14

Grinding has never been necessary to keep up with lore. I mostly keep up just by reading the lore books over at Ishtar Collective. That'll get you 90%+ of the story each season. The rest is usually on item descriptions and Weapon/Armor/Ship lore, which you can also read by going to the Releases section.

So there is NOTHING inside the game that tells a story post Warmind that's not in the lore? Like, missions? No dialog at all? Of course I can read all the lore, but I need context for it. Even just a quick list of game events and missions would help. Just reading random lore does not give you the 'narrative' so to speak.

How to catch up

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 21:31 (1394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're in quite the weird spot. Try starting with mynameisbyf's YouTube channel. At the very least got a four hour long "The Complete Story of Destiny!" video that looks like it runs through Shadowkeep. Might have some more recent videos, too.

How to catch up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 21:40 (1394 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You're in quite the weird spot. Try starting with mynameisbyf's YouTube channel. At the very least got a four hour long "The Complete Story of Destiny!" video that looks like it runs through Shadowkeep. Might have some more recent videos, too.

He's got a sexy voice, so I think 4 hours will be fine.

He really does

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 22:31 (1394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

How to catch up

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 19:21 (1393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My favorite part of every mynameisbyf video is the incredible ad placement.

"From here we get what is probably one of the most fascinating lore entries in all of Destiny. Take a listen to this:"

"I used to suffer from chronic halitosis, but then my doctor prescribed Rozeltrex!"

Gets me every time.

-Disciple

How to catch up

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 20:07 (1393 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

My favorite part of every mynameisbyf video is the incredible ad placement.

"From here we get what is probably one of the most fascinating lore entries in all of Destiny. Take a listen to this:"

"I used to suffer from chronic halitosis, but then my doctor prescribed Rozeltrex!"

Gets me every time.

-Disciple

You've given me a brilliant idea.

Oh boy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 04, 2020, 21:25 (1393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

How to catch up

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:55 (1394 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This guy has a channel where he reads lore text, because reading for yourself is for chumps.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 06:59 (1394 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So... that's clearly The Drifter, but what's he doing traveling out to an icy moon of Jupiter? Well... one of his biggest, most frightening discoveries was made by him and his crew on an icy world somewhere beyond the edge of our solar system. Their find was one of the more terrifying things in all Destiny's lore. A quick taste:

So there we were. On that cold hunk of ice with no name, just me and my crew. Everything peachy-keen.

We discovered some kind of alien monolith, a facility left by the inhabitants of that planet long gone by then.

But trapped inside was a creature. In a cage of some sort, frozen in ice. An exhibit? Was it some kind of zoo? Still not sure to this day. We should've brought a scientist. All we had were… well, guys who thought we looked tough in dark colors.

During our long stay on that planet, we found many of those monoliths, each with their own captured creature.

Anyway, this thing—the creature—looked like it shared common bioenergetics with the Hive, but there were no records then or since that I've ever seen of humanity's encounters with them. And the creature had a property the Hive did not have. It produced a field that repressed Light—like a Darkness Zone but contained to a gooey, vacuous form with no head.

The anti-Light fields we had detected from orbit that spread across the planet? It was these things. Our ship's scanners indicated thousands of them were on this planet with us.

We were ecstatic.

—Drifter's thoughts recited to his Ghost, for posterity. The second of five parts

I know it's kinda known by now about the drifter, but it gives me chills when he said "We were ecstatic"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 08:02 (1394 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

We were ecstatic.

I know it's kinda known by now about the drifter, but it gives me chills when he said "We were ecstatic"

Well, on the little I have read, it's due to hopes of curing the wars of Light Vs Light. Not so much sadism or such ilk, but desperation. And desperation? Well, that can turn all forms of madness into logic.

Little did they know what they found was (in all likelihood) a source (in a way) for all the madness they had experienced again & again in the first place.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 08:05 (1394 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We were ecstatic.

Well, on the little I have read, it's due to hopes of curing the wars of Light Vs Light. Not so much sadism or such ilk, but desperation. And desperation? Well, that can turn all forms of madness into logic.

Little did they know what they found was (in all likelihood) a source (in a way) for all the madness they had experienced again & again in the first place.

Couldn't you just tie a bomb to one of those little guys and shoot it at the tower killing all Gaurdiands?

How do you tie a "gooey, vacuous form"?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 08:30 (1394 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

They ARE a Bomb.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 12:21 (1394 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Pyromancy, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 13:15

Couldn't you just tie a bomb to one of those little guys and shoot it at the tower killing all Guardians?

They ARE a Bomb.
[image]

Decay:
[image]

Why That Character?? Why That Place? *Rampant Speculation*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 08:27 (1394 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So the title is "Why That Character? Why That Place? *Rampant Speculation*"... and while I do enjoy the relevant filling in (Thank you!), I don't see any *Rampant Speculation*... sooo... I want to add first...

Why go back? The man Survived, for better or worse, some darned Cthulhu Shackleton Shenanigans and is able to tell the tale. And he is going BACK!? I mean... is he trying to do something about the PvP hackers in trials or something? It's not like there is a War of Light right now. What beckoned him to return to whence he was reborn from sea salt and live fire? Referencing the leaked content for a moment... Did Eris beckon him? And goodness, what was that conversation like?

All that said, Why That Character? Well... living a year on that darkened rock must have given some perspective on the goings on. With that plus whom ever else, it's quite a party being built.

Why That Place? Well that's where the money is.

Why go back?... well... everyone wants to know what it's all worth.

I wonder what the interest rate is going to be on all this loaned time?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 04, 2020, 21:28 (1393 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Is he returning, though? I got the impression the icy planetoid in the lore entry was whatever his ship is hauling and the beings were the Primevals we fight in Gambit's boss phases. Now the trailer depicts either Europa or Enceladus, which isn't what the Drifter is hauling.

Speaking of which, everyone mentions this world as obviously Europa. Any reason why we're discarding Enceladus?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 22:26 (1393 days ago) @ ZackDark

There's old concept art of Europa and a mention here or there about it. One of Rasputin's facilities is on Europa. Supposedly Brother Vance says something about Europa in game, too, but I haven't found the dialogue, yet. Something about Osiris meeting The Nine on Europa...

[image]

Moons Haunted... no no, another moon!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 05, 2020, 09:37 (1393 days ago) @ ZackDark

Speaking of which, everyone mentions this world as obviously Europa. Any reason why we're discarding Enceladus?

[image]

I would have preferred Enceladus, as I find the talk of... Deep Stone Crypts & Long Slow Whispers to be forbiddingly interesting. Plus, my main is an Exo. Yet, clearly through color and pattern alone this moon is orbiting Jupiter. Plus this moon looks as we would expect Europa to look (which side note its soooo cool we have photos of this stuff).

Moons

by squidnh3, Friday, June 05, 2020, 09:49 (1393 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I would have preferred Enceladus

Europa just rolls off the tongue a lot better.

I'm hoping for an "ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE" easter egg.

Moons Haunted... no no, another moon!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 05, 2020, 11:56 (1393 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

That's the thing, right? The moon in the teaser is almost exactly in the middle of a blend of those two photos. All three have canyons, both Enceladus and the moon are blue, both Europa's and the moon's canyons are reddish.

What if it’s not really a moon?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 05, 2020, 12:19 (1393 days ago) @ ZackDark

And is instead a space station?

What if it’s not really a space station?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 05, 2020, 12:31 (1393 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And is instead a really big rock that shoots darkness?

*Official* Something calls... ("What is next...?)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 12:24 (1394 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 12:36

...It's time to answer.

(This was the "leaked" bit that got put out there a touch earlier than it should have.)

Edit: For those of you who want to use youtube to see the 15 sec clip, here it is.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread