Does Ocarina of Time have the best soundtrack? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 01, 2020, 19:34 (1424 days ago)

Forgive the off topic post—I thought this might make for an interesting thread.

I’ve been thinking about great video game music lately (due in part to replaying a bit of Morrowind), and I stumbled upon this video. Every single song is instantly recognizable, and it’s all amazing. I submit that Ocarina of Time might have the best music of any video game.

Perhaps not fair, as this is a beautiful piano rendition rather than the music as it was in the game. I still think I stand by my statement though.

Does Ocarina of Time have the best soundtrack?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 01, 2020, 22:31 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I dunno man, it’s hard to beat Final Fantasy VII. Also strangely enough, for what it’s trying to do Katamari Damacy is just about perfect.

I just got my copy of the FF7 Remake soundtrack, and it sounds amazing. Much better mix than in the game, and the feels are strong.

I realize you haven't gotten here yet…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 13:50 (1423 days ago) @ Cody Miller

… but there's a reason so many people are flipping their shit during a specific phase of a specific boss fight when a specific remix of a theme drops…

by Avateur @, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:50 (1422 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I usually put FFVI’s soundtrack over VII’s, but they’re both so great. I also love Lost Odyssey’s. Taken as a whole, though, the Zelda series is pretty great. Just stopping at Ocarina is hard for me. Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are all fantastic.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 21:09 (1421 days ago) @ Avateur

I love Breath of the Wild’s soundtrack, too, even though it’s very minimal. That piano work is gorgeous.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 01, 2020, 22:56 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The thing about Ocarina is almost half of the soundtrack is directly played by us, so it really digs into the brain. Either way, I definitely agree, especially if you pair it with Majora's.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 13:17 (1423 days ago) @ ZackDark

Majora’s Mask adds some really great themes. I’m still not sure I’ve played a game with such a strong atmosphere. It’s a real shame they butchered the 3DS remake.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 07:33 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve been thinking about great video game music lately (due in part to replaying a bit of Morrowind), and I stumbled upon this video. Every single song is instantly recognizable, and it’s all amazing. I submit that Ocarina of Time might have the best music of any video game.

Perhaps not fair, as this is a beautiful piano rendition rather than the music as it was in the game. I still think I stand by my statement though.

So Is it the best soundtrack regardless of the game? How much of the music is good based on nostalgia? Is it purely defined by the game? I mostly ask these questions because I've never played Ocarina of Time, so will I still think it's the best soundtrack?

I definitely think there are some soundtracks that really require you to be playing the particular piece of game that it was made for and it sounds "good" otherwise, but it was tailored to the game.

This was mostly a food for thought reply :D

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 13:16 (1423 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Nostalgia certainly plays a factor. I was like ten when I played it for the first time. I watched that video and could instantly recall scenes for every single piece.

No, Skyrim does

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 10:50 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Transistor called...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 11:17 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve been thinking about great video game music lately (due in part to replaying a bit of Morrowind), and I stumbled upon this video. Every single song is instantly recognizable...

A soundtrack so good that there's a dedicated button to hum along to it...

+1

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 11:46 (1423 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Transistor called...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 13:14 (1423 days ago) @ Korny

That’s the only game of theirs I haven’t played. I need to do that.

Check your Library, it was a PS+ Free Game in Feb. 2015 *NM*

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 15:26 (1423 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Double check your Library it was a PS+ Free Game in Feb. 2015

Thanks Xenos!

Transistor called...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 15:47 (1423 days ago) @ Korny

I’ve been thinking about great video game music lately (due in part to replaying a bit of Morrowind), and I stumbled upon this video. Every single song is instantly recognizable...

It's definitely good. I don't play enough games to know, but some I listen to are The Last of Us, Journey, ODST, Reach, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Not to suck up to Marty, but Music of the Spheres is amazing. Destiny music in general is excellent.

How was Transistor?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 19:23 (1422 days ago) @ Korny

I enjoyed Bastion, but the trailers for Transistor never really sold me on it.

-Disciple

How was Transistor?

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, June 03, 2020, 20:22 (1421 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I thought it was really good. I finally played it last November, and ended up playing it again as soon as I was done with the first playthrough.

You should look at the thread that Pyro linked above, some other people gave their opinions.

The combat system can have tons of combinations (permutations?) since each skill can be used as a primary, secondary, or passive. This is why I ended up playing through a second time: you carry over all the skills and can get a duplicate of each skill in new game plus. So you can use a skill as a primary action but also use the secondary effect of the skill at the same time (which you can't do during the first playthrough).

As far as traversing the world goes, it's rather linear--there are a few things you could miss, but it's fairly easy to find everything. The art is cool, the story is pretty good, and the music is really good. It has the same narrator as Bastion.

However, the real fun is in the battle system, which you can toggle between real time and turn based at any moment. For harder fights, it is good to meticulously plan our your movements and actions; once you get some good power combos you can just whale on easier enemies.

It's been a few months so I forget the skill names, but I ended up really liking a certain combo: a Ranged, Area of Effect, Stun Attack as my opening move and then a lunge + power smash move to finish off enemies.

All that being said, yeah, it's a cool game and worth playing.

Awesome! Thanks!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 15:19 (1421 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Got it added to my wishlist! I'm a giant cheapskate, so I'll probably wait until it's $5. Just a few more weeks until the Steam summer sale, so it might not be a long wait.

-Disciple

Steam Sale

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, June 25, 2020, 17:22 (1400 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Got it added to my wishlist! I'm a giant cheapskate, so I'll probably wait until it's $5. Just a few more weeks until the Steam summer sale, so it might not be a long wait.

-Disciple

$4 is even better :p

Transistor called...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 06:40 (1421 days ago) @ Korny

Sounds like a really fun game. I just wish it wasn't on every single platform except xbox.

Transistor called...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 07:01 (1421 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Sounds like a really fun game. I just wish it wasn't on every single platform except xbox.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't get very far (and not because I didn't like it). It's just another in a huge list of games I need to get back to. I not only like the soundtrack, I adore the art style.

Transistor called...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 08:06 (1421 days ago) @ Kermit

If it makes you feel better, I didn't get very far (and not because I didn't like it). It's just another in a huge list of games I need to get back to. I not only like the soundtrack, I adore the art style.

I mean, I do have a queue of like 5 games on xbox right now, so I don't really need another one... but I'll all for adding it to a list :D

Not The BEST, No.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, June 04, 2020, 20:24 (1420 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I'm not gonna say Sonic, because even though they're my jams, they're not the best either.

Although, if people take off their bias glasses and actually listen to it, the Sonic music is definitely high caliber. Modern stuff included. Hell, especially Modern Sonic. Pulling together some of the world's most famous orchestras, some hard-hitting artists, famous and obscure, a wide range of genres, new and remixed, easter eggs, the most headba—

Ok, never mind, Sonic's the best. ;-)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread