Disintegration is disappointing? Discuss dis. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 06:52 (1413 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 07:36

Reviews for Disintegration are popping up, and it currently sits at 60 on Metacritic.

Reviewers almost universally point out the campaign as the weakest part of the package, which is funny, since it's the one part many of us were eager to hold out for after that bleh multiplayer beta.

Disintegration is a somewhat fractured experience. The game’s quirky combination of shooter and strategy mechanics works, and multiplayer is a lot of frantic fun, but its single-player campaign suffers from some oversights, technical issues, and monotonous design. If Disintegration is a hit, I suspect it will be for its multiplayer, so while I’m being a bit conservative with my score now, the game will hopefully hover to new heights as PvP content is added. Whether you want to jump on your Gravcycle now is up to you.

-WCCFTECH (75) (Highest Score Review)

Disintegration’s core idea of blending a first-person shooter with a strategy game is neat, but it takes so many missteps that the promising concept gets lost. The action is repetitive, and the basic mission design is tired – you can’t even save the game mid-mission, which is particularly baffling. Amid the tedium, I had an occasional moments of fun in Disintegration, but those moments were fleeting.

-Game Informer (60) (Middlest Score Review)

So much of Disintegration is just puzzling. It manages to eke out a space in a hybrid genre but never manages to capitalize on this newfound territory. It offers squad upgrades and control over their movement as a group but fails to let you select who to take with you on a mission or give you control over individual units. You’re given a flying hovercraft but you’re constantly butting up against invisible walls and fences one inch higher than you can fly. It’s unfortunate when a game is bad and broken, but it’s a damn shame when a game is forgettable. Disintegration does not feel up to scratch for a game releasing in 2020.

-Shacknews (40) (Lowest Score Review)

I still hope this game comes to Gamepass.

In happier news, No Man's Sky gets universal crossplay!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 07:14 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

With tomorrow's update, gaming's greatest redemption story (dead serious), No Man's Sky, will have full crossplay between PC, PS4, and Xbox.

Better yet, it will also be available on Gamepass, both on console and PC.
Lots of us have mentioned what a great game it's become, and it still continues to get better!

If you have an hour to spare and haven't caught this yet, check out the Internet Historian's near-hour-long (worth every second) retelling of the history of No Man's Sky, from the studio's humble beginnings, to the game's catastrophic launch, to their redemption.

In happiest news, ODST Firefight confirmed for MCC this year

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:25 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ran out of space in the title)

Can't Wait For Halo:Assassin's Creed Edition!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 16:14 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

If anything else, at least I saw this coming.

Then again, everyone did.

Anyone up for NMS?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:09 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

I think I know most of my friends who have it on XBOne, but not other platforms, so LMK. I guess some new people could come from GamePass, too. I'm resonably well established and might have some free stuff/money to give away. NMS multiplayer has been pretty glitchy when I've tried it, but it sounds like they're redoing a lot of the backend, so maybe it'll be usable (or, more likely, it'll be broken in new and exciting ways).

I'll let you know Tuesday.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 07:46 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

My review coming this weekend.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:24 (1413 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Disintegration Review

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 15, 2020, 09:12 (1408 days ago) @ Korny

Ratings confusion

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 15, 2020, 09:34 (1408 days ago) @ breitzen

You list your site's rating system as:

The WTFB Rating System:
Booyah
Fanboy Worthy
Matthew McConaughey
Straight to Streaming
Dumpster Fire

This makes sense. Five ratings seems sensible, equating to essentially Highly favorable, favorable, neutral, unfavorable, highly unfavorable. That seems to cover the range of feelings with regards to a game.

And yet you rate it out of 10, with a decimal.

I'm super confused.

Ratings confusion

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:18 (1408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The WTFB Rating System:
Booyah
Fanboy Worthy
Matthew McConaughey
Straight to Streaming
Dumpster Fire

This makes sense. Five ratings seems sensible, equating to essentially Highly favorable, favorable, neutral, unfavorable, highly unfavorable. That seems to cover the range of feelings with regards to a game.

I'm super confused.

Haha. People who don’t listen to our podcast are often confused by just the names. The numerical value is for people who want a more “traditional” rating. But thanks for the input! It’s helpful to know that might actually make it more confusing.

Ratings confusion

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:42 (1408 days ago) @ breitzen

The WTFB Rating System:
Booyah
Fanboy Worthy
Matthew McConaughey
Straight to Streaming
Dumpster Fire

I'm super confused.

Haha. People who don’t listen to our podcast are often confused by just the names. The numerical value is for people who want a more “traditional” rating. But thanks for the input! It’s helpful to know that might actually make it more confusing.

Just go with between 1 to 5 stars. It'd match up to your names and be super clear.

Ratings confusion

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:47 (1408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The WTFB Rating System:
Booyah
Fanboy Worthy
Matthew McConaughey
Straight to Streaming
Dumpster Fire

I'm super confused.

Just go with between 1 to 5 stars. It'd match up to your names and be super clear.

You are making the assumption that

The WTFB Rating System:
(5)Booyah
(4)Fanboy Worthy
(3)Matthew McConaughey
(2)Straight to Streaming
(1)Dumpster Fire

It could be
(5)Booyah
(4.5)Fanboy Worthy
(4)Matthew McConaughey
(2)Straight to Streaming
(1.00001)Dumpster Fire

:D

We'll just stick to the names for now :)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 15, 2020, 11:34 (1408 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 15, 2020, 11:39 (1408 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

MacAddict approves these ratings.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 15, 2020, 12:32 (1408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yes, they did. LOL!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 15, 2020, 19:58 (1408 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 15, 2020, 12:51 (1408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

What I'm hearing is that we need our graphic designer to make some cute little images!

Hence the "WTF" in their name

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:18 (1408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

You know it!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:20 (1408 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread