The Umbral Focused Engram glitch is fixed. ): (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 16:12 (1381 days ago)

Bungie kinda sucks at this making a fun video game thing, huh?

We had a good week, at least.

Let me rephrase that:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 18:11 (1381 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie is really good at sucking the fun out of a really fun video game.

It’s not fair, maybe, to be mad about this. But that glitch fixed my major problem with Destiny. I could just play the game and get drops that circumvented the stupid grind they continue to force down my throat to actually be able to play the game in a way that is actually enjoyable. It’s just a huge bummer.

Let me rephrase that:

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 18:28 (1381 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie is really good at sucking the fun out of a really fun video game.

It’s not fair, maybe, to be mad about this. But that glitch fixed my major problem with Destiny. I could just play the game and get drops that circumvented the stupid grind they continue to force down my throat to actually be able to play the game in a way that is actually enjoyable. It’s just a huge bummer.

Meanwhile, current-season drops from certain activities are dropping way down at 750 for some reason... but THAT issue has not yet been fixed. Obviously.

Let me rephrase that:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 18:29 (1381 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah, but people who play Gambit deserve it. (:

Let me rephrase that:

by Simpsons Rule @, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 07:42 (1379 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Meanwhile, current-season drops from certain activities are dropping way down at 750 for some reason... but THAT issue has not yet been fixed. Obviously.

It's not fair to speculate on how easy it is to fix certain glitches compared to others, but as I received 4 or 5 750 gambit drops last night...this definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

-SR

Let me rephrase that:

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 08:47 (1379 days ago) @ Simpsons Rule

I’m really tired of the “but it’s hard!” excuse for shipping broken bullshit.

I don’t think this particular issue is all that egregious. And maybe it is more difficult to fix, but there seems to be a trend where anything that lets players skip the bullshit of Destiny gets fixed pretty quickly, but other issues languish for months (or longer). At a certain point, it definitely shows where they put their effort.

Let me rephrase that:

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 09:17 (1379 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I'm really tired of people saying it's an excuse. Sometimes it's just a fact. Sometimes you can't just throw manpower at a problem. Just because a studio is AAA doesn't mean they can fix things in a timeframe that is "reasonable" for a player.

I don’t think this particular issue is all that egregious. And maybe it is more difficult to fix, but there seems to be a trend where anything that lets players skip the bullshit of Destiny gets fixed pretty quickly, but other issues languish for months (or longer). At a certain point, it definitely shows where they put their effort.

Now, you could be correct. But there is also the fact that Gambit, and some older content is literally older content. The amount fo people playing gambit or strikes are far less than the people who are getting the new engrams. Thus, more people are seeing and noticing those. Naturally that would be their priority.

I'm not just trying to defend Bungie on this, but to me, that seems logical. Is it easier or harder to fix the other engrams? I have no freaking idea, but as a software engineer, I'm ALWAYS going to give the engineer the benefit of the doubt. Leadership? Probably not.

Let me rephrase that:

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:49 (1379 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I’m not trying to be an asshole. I just don’t think it’s unfair to expect things to work. The season model has proved (in my mind) that Bungie needs more time in the kitchen. They cannot (or will not, I’m not sure which) properly support Destiny on a 3 month cycle. Every season has been half-baked and full of not insignificant bugs.

I'd counter that

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:55 (1379 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m not trying to be an asshole. I just don’t think it’s unfair to expect things to work. The season model has proved (in my mind) that Bungie needs more time in the kitchen. They cannot (or will not, I’m not sure which) properly support Destiny on a 3 month cycle. Every season has been half-baked and full of not insignificant bugs.

With each season containing more interesting content / shared world game play than years prior. It's been cool seeing Saint return, Seraph Towers pop up, bunkers close as pyramid ships show up. All the while they're doing overhauls of various things throughout the game.

Ultimately I think we're getting D3stiny (in spirit) slowly and with a few growing pains.

Let me rephrase that:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 09:18 (1379 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The fact remains that Bungie built their own engine and tools for the game. They made their own bed, and now they are continuing to lay in it by extending Des2ny and not starting fresh with D3stiny. Everything is entirely on them. The hardship is self inflicted.

AFAIK

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:46 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The fact remains that Bungie built their own engine and tools for the game. They made their own bed, and now they are continuing to lay in it by extending Des2ny and not starting fresh with D3stiny. Everything is entirely on them. The hardship is self inflicted.

D3stiny would have a lot of Des2ny code in it from what I know about game development. So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

AFAIK

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 14:04 (1379 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, IIRC, Chris Butcher did a GDC presentation on Destiny's engine during which he commented that it was becoming infeasible to create a game with an engine made from scratch. Bungie could never rewrite the engine. Not like that.

(Update) Let me rephrase that:

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:22 (1379 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They fixed umbrals in a hotfix, and they plan to release a fix for these engrams next week. Which makes sense to me as umbrals were probably easier to fix as a temporary global drop. Where as the game type specific ones were probably multiple sources.

(Update) Let me rephrase that:

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:32 (1379 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'd be willing to bet it's attached to the blanket rework of sunsetting and how the tier of loot drop work.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread