What is your Favorite Destiny Environment? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 10:30 (1361 days ago)

The Glittering Blue Stones of Dreaming City?
[image]

The Rusting Dreams Built on Titan?
[image]

The Overgrown Hopes of a Golden Age?
[image]

The Designs of the Past Future?
[image]

The Brief Call of Safety in the Mountains?
[image]

The Dark Glow of the Forest?
[image]

Or even darker still... deep into the systems of Caves?
[image]

No, it's where Humanity & Disaster Meet?
[image]

Is it nothing but Gold Underneath your feet?
[image]

Is it the Tower, with its Walls so Tall?
[image]

Or the City, Rarely seen but with a great fall?
[image]

Is it the Moon, it's Dark Below?
[image]

Or is it someplace where time runs... slow?
[image]

A Bugless Garden filled with Bugs?
[image]

Or a Place Where THEY wish to only give you... hugs?
[image]

There are many environments in Destiny, and these are just a few. My question, dear DBOer's, are which environments are "JUST THE BEST" to you?

^_^.

[image]

Do I have to pick one? They are all so good.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 10:45 (1361 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

What is your Favorite Destiny Environment?

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 11:09 (1361 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

These were some of my favorites from the first chapter of D2.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 13:31 (1361 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The Mystery of the original lighthouse.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 14:28 (1361 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

D1's lighthouse is... was incredible.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 17:06 (1360 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Oh, probably the Dreaming City. Finally, a destination that's not ancient evil or run down or depressing. The Dreaming City is beautiful and epic and different than anything else in Destiny so far. Shame about that Taken curse...

[image]

+1

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 17:13 (1360 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 23:15 (1360 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Shame about that Taken curse...

I blame that on Clan Redeem

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 20:25 (1360 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Dreaming City.
The City (escaping and returning)
Venus (Vault of Glass remains the most destinyest of Destiny locations to me)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 07:31 (1360 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I too would have to say The Dreaming City

Honorable mentions:

• Tangled shore, a proper frontier den of villainy and intrigue
  • Old Russia, where it all began, and a sad but hopeful monument to space travel
  • Titan, I can't get enough of those massive waves, or the cosmodrome
  • Prophecy, just love the splashes of COLOR

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 08:58 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I too would have to say The Dreaming City

Honorable mentions:

• Tangled shore, a proper frontier den of villainy and intrigue
  • Old Russia, where it all began, and a sad but hopeful monument to space travel
  • Titan, I can't get enough of those massive waves, or the cosmodrome
  • Prophecy, just love the splashes of COLOR

I agree with all points. Got kind of burnt out on Titan (did a lot of grinding there), but I do love the arcology and of course the “leviathan of Titan.”

by squidnh3, Thursday, July 09, 2020, 07:07 (1359 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I sure like a lot of them, but memories that really stick out are the final encounter (and approach to that encounter) in Wrath of the Machine, various Venus locations, the Dreaming City and the Tangled Shore, and of course the original Lighthouse.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 10, 2020, 17:15 (1357 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You are so right, MacAddictXIV, they are all quite well done. Lots of calls with the Ethereal-esk places so far. D1 Lighthouse, The Dreaming City, Venus/Vault Of Glass. Different shades of beauty and memories made.

What is my Favorite Destiny Environment?

Well, first I should preclude this with my enjoyment in environmental storytelling. The inhabiting space being the mechanism to tell you story, be it interpreted or directed. Helps with the whole "elicit wonder" thing. I enjoy walking through a space and going "what if." What could these walls tell? And I also want to say that while many of Destinies spaces have their elements of storytelling, it is just that this space on Titan "calls" to me the most. It is a very EXACTING area, with an exact look, as there are many Environmental Appearances on Titan. Industrial to... Corrupted. Fortunately, a fair amount of these spaces I'm about to denote can be seen while on Patrol. No Strikes are required. You can go and see them right now before Titan goes into the Vault. (Where did the find the space for that! :P)

It's a shame that it will be gone in a few months time without more being done to build upon the space.

When we first enter the SOLARIUM in the story mission called "Utopia" (more on that in a moment), a message is given noting that the "experts" are not concerned that the Traveler has moved to Io. That's COOL!

To the left as you enter through the hole in the solar panel looklike "tiles", you have the Arboretum. That space in whole which you can traverse during patrol is fantastic. Again, no Strike Required.

To the door on the right, it leads to the Festering Halls. Not all parts are immediately corrupted. As you walk through the halls, you'll run past a robotic vacuum, dutifully unaware that its likely creators are gone. You then meet up to what I guess are apartments, and than up to a Screen(?) of blue light which is the limit, patrol wise. If you go after that you have gone too far, as that very dark room is where the look starts to change to Hive corruption.

That is what you can see in patrol.

In the story mission "Utopia", you can see more of this aesthetic. Fortunately, Utopia was a mission you could play on the 8th of July, so I grabbed some clips.

All that, plus the music of the space... it has to be my Favorite Destiny Environment. It's a shame they didn't use it more, if no more comes of it in this season. It's just so cool. It's the CoDMW "All Ghillied Up" of Destiny for me.

I loved this post...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 21:08 (1346 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

and you sold me. I tire of the soggy industrial aesthetic of Titan but it's because I forget missions like this one, and I kick myself for not remembering that they DID fix my gripe--you can replay campaign missions. You can even start from the beginning--at least until they start vaulting stuff :(.

Alas, and this is where I start to sound like Cody, the game demands so much of you just to have a few of the latest toys, that there's little time to savor the riches the game provides within the context of a narrative.

I loved this post...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 27, 2020, 12:15 (1341 days ago) @ Kermit

Thank you.

and you sold me. I tire of the soggy industrial aesthetic of Titan but it's because I forget missions like this one, and I kick myself for not remembering that they DID fix my gripe--you can replay campaign missions. You can even start from the beginning--at least until they start vaulting stuff :(.

Alas, and this is where I start to sound like Cody, the game demands so much of you just to have a few of the latest toys, that there's little time to savor the riches the game provides within the context of a narrative.

Eh. While there is definitely a disproportionate emphasis on "get the Stuff" AKA "LOOT", there is little really stopping you from ever so now and again to just wonder the wilds in patrol, should you feel like doing so simply for the sake of appreciation. It's like going outside to watch the sunset, which I've seen a few times by now, but I do anyway. It's... nice. In Destinies case, you can sometimes find things you may have forgotten or missed.

For example, and yes this is still on Titan as it turns out, around when I recently did my run through to make my post (of which you admit admiration towards above), I also asked myself: "How far can I go back to the very start?"

The place I found the answer had this;

Nothing fancy. The thrill is more in the discovery of anything interactive on a path so out of the way than any actual content of it. I do grant though, that there is not enough of this air of "aimless" wandering. A stumbling upon things, though I no longer recall if that was ever an established goal, and more a wish on my part. Unfortunately, for it to be made there needs to be a reason, that's just game design. Creating something "just because one can" is far too fleeting a luxury.

I loved this post...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 27, 2020, 14:10 (1341 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Thank you.

Eh. While there is definitely a disproportionate emphasis on "get the Stuff" AKA "LOOT", there is little really stopping you from ever so now and again to just wonder the wilds in patrol, should you feel like doing so simply for the sake of appreciation. It's like going outside to watch the sunset, which I've seen a few times by now, but I do anyway. It's... nice. In Destinies case, you can sometimes find things you may have forgotten or missed.

For example, and yes this is still on Titan as it turns out, around when I recently did my run through to make my post (of which you admit admiration towards above), I also asked myself: "How far can I go back to the very start?"

The place I found the answer had this;

Nothing fancy. The thrill is more in the discovery of anything interactive on a path so out of the way than any actual content of it. I do grant though, that there is not enough of this air of "aimless" wandering. A stumbling upon things, though I no longer recall if that was ever an established goal, and more a wish on my part. Unfortunately, for it to be made there needs to be a reason, that's just game design. Creating something "just because one can" is far too fleeting a luxury.

I consider myself so lucky that I regularly get to raid (my favorite)--especially when I consider how little I play relative to EVERYONE else I know who plays. I don't take the time to enjoy these things because I tell myself I don't have the time. Frankly, I'm thinking about my time differently. It's probably my age.

It's funny that you found that ghost prompt. I found the same one last week. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed your trip down memory lane, INSANE.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 27, 2020, 10:02 (1341 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The Solarium needs a Dungeon if they ever bring it back around.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:28 (1341 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just did the final mission for the Ace of Spades last night, and Bungie made excellent use of the space where you previously just plowed through (literally) in a minute or two during the Red War campaign mission "Utopia". I thought it was great. A shame that it's getting Vaulted; environment and encounters were top-tier.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:49 (1341 days ago) @ Korny

I just did the final mission for the Ace of Spades last night, and Bungie made excellent use of the space where you previously just plowed through (literally) in a minute or two during the Red War campaign mission "Utopia". I thought it was great. A shame that it's getting Vaulted; environment and encounters were top-tier.

Sidenote: When I played this mission in 2018, I captured each encounter and created a Playlist of 12 Total Videos; "Destiny 2 | Ace in the Hole Single Player Mission". So while it may be gone and unplayable, I got it, so you can at least see it again should you want to for some reason such as story, which is why I grabbed it when I could.

Solarium Dungeon

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:40 (1341 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The would be fantastic. I love that idea. Things are potentially getting really serious in Destiny, so it would be nice if there was some climb and descent into some of the golden age dreams still held within. Hopefully something with a slower pace, that allows those who have done the main line "shoot the things" can come back with a secondary... I don't know, a scavenger hunt for information. "Holo Recordings" or whatever that a Warlock can decipher . A climb and a fight (or evasion all together) for a hunter looking for pathways undiscovered (probably a vent). Or A smash and grab with a direct approach, and have a titan just... force open a long door. Maybe we found a remote, and it looks like a blue key. In short, a 3d maze/jungle gym. A smaller Dreadnaught with a bit more hope nestled in, if you dare look for it on this world conquered by the dark.

It's almost a shame these ideas are too easy, when making them takes such a time to do.

You're Asking Me...to Choose!?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, July 19, 2020, 16:29 (1349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

*Nods*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, July 19, 2020, 17:35 (1348 days ago) @ Morpheus

[image]

Alright, Then.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 17:10 (1325 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So many places to pick...god, off the top of my head, I love the moon(in both games), the Clovis Bray facilities in D1, Titan in D2, the Leviathan(specifically its underbelly), it's just too many!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread